Keith Olbermann Changes the World. Again

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 10-26-2009 03:24 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: A question was asked in another forum area-- wasn't Olbermann the one who made big 'stink' about GW Bush out playing golf? Will he do the same with Obama?

I doubt it.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-26-2009 03:28 PM

Does Obama play golf? :eek:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 10-26-2009 03:31 PM

No idea, none at all.

Biker

Ian Anderson

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-26-2009 03:33 PM

CK, I don't know if Olbermann did that particular thing or not. He may have. However, if so, he certainly wasn't the only one.

And BTW, both Olbermann and Maddow have called out President Obama when he's said or done something they don't agree with. Same with the Democrats in general. I've heard that myself. I really haven't noticed them holding back on criticism, not of the President, nor of either party.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-26-2009 03:35 PM

Biker wrote: No idea, none at all.

Biker

Methinks it would more likely be basketball than golf. ;) He plays that in a court at the WH, though. Never heard of him being a golfer. But could be...
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 10-26-2009 03:39 PM

Joolz wrote: Methinks it would more likely be basketball than golf. ;) He plays that in a court at the WH, though. Never heard of him being a golfer. But could be...
It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the man was a golfer, and a good one at that. He's a hell of an athlete.

Biker

Ian Anderson

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-26-2009 03:45 PM

This is okay with me. ;)

I have no objection to any President playing golf or anything else, as long as they perform their duties (and I think all have, whether we agree with them politically or not).

President Eisenhower took more criticism than any for playing golf and he was truly great. :)

--

http://www.politico.com/click/stories/0 ... _golf.html

President Obama ties George W. Bush on golf

By PATRICK GAVIN | 10/25/09 9:33 PM EDT

President Barack Obama has only been in office for just over nine months, but he's already hit the links as much as President Bush did in over two years.

CBS' Mark Knoller — an unofficial documentarian and statistician of all things White House-related — wrote on his Twitter feed that, "Today - Obama ties Pres. Bush in the number of rounds of golf played in office: 24.

Took Bush 2 yrs & 10 months."

This news comes on the heels of today's news that Obama played golf with a woman — chief domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes — for the first time since taking office.

--
Last edited by racehorse on 10-26-2009 03:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 10-26-2009 04:07 PM

Amazing what qualifies as news these days.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 10-26-2009 07:08 PM

racehorse wrote: This is okay with me. ;)

I have no objection to any President playing golf or anything else, as long as they perform their duties (and I think all have, whether we agree with them politically or not).

President Eisenhower took more criticism than any for playing golf and he was truly great. :)

--

Even though we disagree on politics, I totally agree with you on this. (I see a pattern we both agree being against populist comments that each side seems say about Gov) . I never understood the "We are at war/tough times.... Why is the Prez playing golf/out with the family" What's the alternative, does the Prez have to be "On" all the time, does he have to have tears in his eyes every time he's shown because it's tough times or war times. You have to turn it off sometimes or you'll go crazy.

As for GW golf stuff, I don't know about Olbermann as I didn't watch much of him, I know Michael Moore did something on it, but it was more to do with what he did on the golf course. GW give a very passionate speech about "Never resting until we get our enemies" then waited for them to stop rolling and without missing a beat say "Now check out this drive" as he hits the golf ball. I wasn't too outrage by it, but I can see how people might be peeved by that, as he was giving a serious speech and then in the next minute he was joking around about his golf swing. The timing and place to make the statement might be questionable (not even sure if I would say it's his fault, if he wanted to make a statement then that would be in bad taste but if he was asked to make a statement then the person asking the question put him on a tough spot in having to answer during casual time) but taking time off to play some golf (or any off time activity) really shouldn't be made an issue.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 10-26-2009 11:24 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: A question was asked in another forum area-- wasn't Olbermann the one who made big 'stink' about GW Bush out playing golf? Will he do the same with Obama?

---
Was it Olbermann?? or someone else who did so??

---
I do not know so am asking.

Lil dubya said that he gave up golf, on some particular date, because he felt it was not right to golf when brave American soldiers were dieing in Iraq.

All Olbermann did was show that lil dubya was still playing golf some months after he said that he quit.

In other words, lil dubya lied and, in doing so, actually dishonored the American veterans and the American dead.

Edit to add: Golf was not the issue (who cares?). The issue was honesty..... and honor.
Last edited by Corvid on 10-26-2009 11:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 10-26-2009 11:42 PM

Here here, Corvid, OMG, and RH. I don't give a rat's patootie if they golf or not. Everyone needs a break and that's good for the mind.

But don't lie about not playing golf for the troops.
Anchors Aweigh!

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-27-2009 11:11 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJvRUL81ZU8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJvRUL81ZU8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-28-2009 09:50 AM

I asked so find out. Thanks for the responses.

==
Corvid - yes GW was out with his father golfing after he said he was going to quit. There was one instance that they (media) ranted and belittled - but what is that same media doing or saying about Obama's time out golfing instead of meeting with the Afghanistan troop commander?

GW golfed 24 times in 2years 10 months - that is less than once a month. Obama has been golfing 24 times in 9 months. Do the math. October has been reported as one of the deadliest months for soldiers killed. The troop commander had requested more troops for several months, but Obama didn't even have time to talk to him for how long?

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 10-28-2009 10:09 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: I asked so find out. Thanks for the responses.

==
Corvid - yes GW was out with his father golfing after he said he was going to quit. There was one instance that they (media) ranted and belittled - but what is that same media doing or saying about Obama's time out golfing instead of meeting with the Afghanistan troop commander?

And exactly when did Obama promise not to golf..."for the troops"? The point is not how many times either man golfed - it it the qualitative difference that one man lied about it. To compare the two is apples & oranges.

And the very notion that not playing golf is a sacrifice equal to losing one's life or limbs in combat is repugnant to me.
Anchors Aweigh!

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 10-28-2009 10:17 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: I asked so find out. Thanks for the responses.

==

GW golfed 24 times in 2years 10 months - that is less than once a month. Obama has been golfing 24 times in 9 months. Do the math. October has been reported as one of the deadliest months for soldiers killed. The troop commander had requested more troops for several months, but Obama didn't even have time to talk to him for how long?

So you did know? Did rush tel yoyu?

Add in lil dubya's days of "clearing brush" down at crawdad texas and you have a record number of vacation days. Hell, dubya would not even come back to work when he got the briefing about his bidness buddy bin laden about to attack America.

You do the math.

Which president was it that took troops OUT of Afghanistan and put them into an illegal invasion of Iraq?

Think!

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”