The "REAL" concern behind cash for klunkers.

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

rev6 8
Pirate

The "REAL" concern behind cash for klunkers.

Post by rev6 8 » 09-17-2009 11:53 AM

I'm BAACKK!!!!
Long time no post. I've missed all of you the last 9-10 months.
Here's the beef of this post....
If anyone has looked into the cash for klunkers program you know that the government powers that be underestimated the amount of vehicles that the program would end up recieving.
Originally they expected about 150K nationwide to be turned in and budgeted 1billion dollars to the trade in reimbersment for the dealers (who had to pay the 3500-4500 for the trade in klunker out of their own pocket).
The program ended up with over 750K klunkers turned in and the gov had to increase the budgeted funds to 3billion.
They dealers were to recieve their reimbersements within 10 days of processing of the paperwork for the deal. However the government only appointed about 250 people to process all of the paperwork ( now increased to about 1100 ) and over 80% of the deals were being rejected.
We all know where this fiasco has ended up, with dealers either coming up empty or having to wait for 4-6 months to recieve their reimbersements for their investment.

The real scare here isn't the fiasco that the program became. The real scare is that president Obama was able to approve this program, and the funds for it, and put it into effect without it ever being signed off on by congress!!!
Somehow Ms Pelosi has worked it out to give many of the congressional powers over to the office of the president . A process that she began during the Bush administration. It leads me to wonder what other programs that he has in mind that he might try to put into effect under the nose of the people and the congress? Dare I say "Government Sponsored Healthcare"?
Last edited by rev6 8 on 09-17-2009 11:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"I have never met nor heard of anyone who could outsmart the truth." A. Lincoln

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 09-17-2009 12:00 PM

The claim that Congress never signed off on it is untrue.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congre ... car-owners

Congress passed the legislation authorizing it.
Anchors Aweigh!

rev6 8
Pirate

Post by rev6 8 » 09-17-2009 12:14 PM

rumike wrote: The claim that Congress never signed off on it is untrue.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/congre ... car-owners

Congress passed the legislation authorizing it.

I read the post again, I said congress never signed off on it. I meant to say he was able to enact it BEFORE congress signed off on it.
My bad.
"I have never met nor heard of anyone who could outsmart the truth." A. Lincoln

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-17-2009 01:23 PM

Several reports have been heard - various local talk shows reading reports from other areas... pbs local.

Many purchasers through this program are still not able to register, tag or license nor get insurance because the titles are being withheld by dealers until gov't monies are paid. (Same-similar being reported from many areas.)

A local dealership may have to close their doors because they are owed for over 20+ cars sold on the program that are still not paid by the gov't. The dealer spoke on the radio saying they had received exactly ONE payment for cars sold at the one dealership, and went on to state that talking with other dealers in this area also had not received more than a very few payments. ((Talk show host said that of the dealerships he contacted in the area - the highest number he found was one dealership that had received gov't paybacks for half the cars sold. He went on to ask dealerships to call.))

---and this ended how long ago??

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 09-17-2009 03:01 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Several reports have been heard - various local talk shows reading reports from other areas... pbs local.

CK, can you give any specifics? Any links? Otherwise it's unverified, right?
Last edited by rumike on 09-17-2009 03:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-18-2009 10:21 AM

Rumike - google has numerous listings for it. Unpaid Cash for Clunkers - 39,900 listings..

Locally I do know two people who are still waiting for their paperwork so they can get their new car tags, etc. One lives on the KS side, other on the MO side of the metro. They are on my bowling league (league has 32 teams of 5 so large league).

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-18-2009 12:22 PM

These dealers are cry babies, why don't they ask them when do they send a check to the manufacture once a car is sold, they have 48 hours to do so but most don't, GM, Ford and Chrysler send out people to check their inventory on a regular basis to force them to pay. The dealers pay a very small percentage up front for those cars. I know because my ex worked for GMAC years ago and that was part of his job.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”