Man Throws Two Shoes at Bush in Iraq

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-15-2008 12:11 AM

Should the Secret Service have been more astute? Yes.

But did you hear what the man yelled when he threw the shoes? The translation (if I heard it correctly) said, "This is for all the innocent victims! Women and children, you have killed!"

Sure... he could have lobbed a grenade. But he didn't. He was a REPORTER! He was searched and probed and everything ELSE we do to those people, before we let them in to a press conference. He was voicing his opinion in the best way he knew how, according to HIS culture.

Should he have been SHOT and KILLED for throwing his shoes in protest to our illegal invasion of HIS country and HIS culture, when our president knows absolutely nothing about either?? Bush used the word "celebration" and I hardly THINK our word "celebration" of what has gone on in Iraq, is the correct word. It's at best a tragedy...

You have to put yourselves in THEIR shoes... and then be willing to take them off, and throw them at the Oppressor. And that's what the reporter did. If he lives to be FREE again, he will be considered a hero; just another person who hates us, now, for what we have unnecessarily done to a Nation who really wasn't a threat to the U.S. in the first place.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-15-2008 12:26 AM

Bobbie you got it right.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-15-2008 01:27 AM

Seems like a waste of a good pair of shoes.

Bush ordered an immediate invasion of Tom McCann and called in air strikes on Johnston & Murphy and Zappos. He received backing from a confederation of Crocs.

Well! If they're going to be rude, I think we should leave. Dear? Get your coat - we're going.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-15-2008 01:29 AM

Iris wrote: Bush ordered an immediate invasion of Tom McCann and called in air strikes on Johnston & Murphy and Zappos. He received backing from a confederation of Crocs..
:D

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 12-15-2008 04:27 AM

Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-15-2008 09:26 AM

Great visual, Rom. A caller on the radio just had a great idea... to send off GWB we should all mail as many shoes to the WH as we can. :D
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 12-15-2008 10:18 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: Should the Secret Service have been more astute? Yes.

But did you hear what the man yelled when he threw the shoes? The translation (if I heard it correctly) said, "This is for all the innocent victims! Women and children, you have killed!"

Sure... he could have lobbed a grenade. But he didn't. He was a REPORTER! He was searched and probed and everything ELSE we do to those people, before we let them in to a press conference. He was voicing his opinion in the best way he knew how, according to HIS culture.

Should he have been SHOT and KILLED for throwing his shoes in protest to our illegal invasion of HIS country and HIS culture, when our president knows absolutely nothing about either?? Bush used the word "celebration" and I hardly THINK our word "celebration" of what has gone on in Iraq, is the correct word. It's at best a tragedy...

You have to put yourselves in THEIR shoes... and then be willing to take them off, and throw them at the Oppressor. And that's what the reporter did. If he lives to be FREE again, he will be considered a hero; just another person who hates us, now, for what we have unnecessarily done to a Nation who really wasn't a threat to the U.S. in the first place.
Thank you, Bobbi. GREAT post. :)
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-15-2008 01:10 PM

SETIsLady wrote: This is very concerning to me. Whether I agree with President Bush or not, he is the President. That could have easely been a bomb or a gun, where was the security, there wasn't any judging from the video.

After pondering this question I cam to the conclusion that since the Secret Service would have screened everyone before they entered, they would not have been hyper-vigilant about a bomb or otherwise lethal weapon coming from these folks. That being said, he could've been hurt, and it would've been nice if one one his guards had taken a shoe for him. I don't like him, but the punishment should be meted out by the justice system. At the Hague.
Anchors Aweigh!

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 12-15-2008 06:22 PM

rumike wrote: After pondering this question I cam to the conclusion that since the Secret Service would have screened everyone before they entered, they would not have been hyper-vigilant about a bomb or otherwise lethal weapon coming from these folks. That being said, he could've been hurt, and it would've been nice if one one his guards had taken a shoe for him. I don't like him, but the punishment should be meted out by the justice system. At the Hague.

Now that you mention it, it is perplexing that there wasn't someone between Bush and the audience, unless, as you say, the SS had screened everyone and tested for explosives too. It does appear that his personal guards were asleep on the job. The thrower gave warning that he was angry. I don't know what he said but some of the words sounded familiar and were not polite. And then one shoe, and then the other.

Certainly enough time to get the President to the ground after the first shoe was tossed?

Of course I don't wish him bodily harm. I guess the office, title, President, doesn't hold as much meaning for me as it did eight years ago. So, I'm not sad to see this particular president publicly humiliated.
"We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-15-2008 06:32 PM

Heard earlier on MSNBC that this jounalists will probably do jail time if Bush doesn't drop charges, could become very nasty.

rumike
Pirate

Post by rumike » 12-15-2008 06:40 PM

Perhaps they should set up "Free Speech Zones" in Iraq like they have in America. :(
Anchors Aweigh!

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 12-15-2008 06:41 PM

Oh he should do jail time, don't you think? Just, not hard time at Abu Garab.

Editing to add, President Bush would go up a hundred points in my view if he publicly forgave this man and asked for him to be released.
"We can't solve problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." – Albert Einstein

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-15-2008 11:25 PM

I heard he's in jail and Iraqis are out demonstrating in the streets because they think he's a hero and they're demanding he be freed (and also carrying signs that say "Go Home USA." Demonstrations have been peaceful, except one cameraman was singed by a burning American flag.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-15-2008 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Chickadee
Oh he should do jail time, don't you think? Just, not hard time at Abu Garab.

No I don't, can you imagine someone invading our Country and the President of that Country comes here and what we may do to him.

Panache
Pirate

Post by Panache » 12-15-2008 11:48 PM

I agree with nearly everything said on this thread, so far. Part of the problem of interpreting this moment and juxtaposing dispositions about it is the way we interpret things, the way we process most anything.

In contemporary life, for the most part around the world, information is processed through a bipolarity filter, like the nuber line -5 -4 -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 This method may be useful for cummulative math, it is not useful as a social equation and creates enemies where they do not exist. Put in its simplest term "You're either with us or against us." That's what this filter conjugates in the hearts and minds of people who had originally been born to be humans.

I don't think shoe-throwing thing is sober deliberation, though I don't think there's a dynamic social momentum to rally forth spontaneous remedy to both get Saddam out of office with greater civility nor quell the unconscionable predation of the TurdBlossom Flauntulosa or the mutual Idiocracy that began Bush's reign with that "yah, Bubbah, I'll vote fer yuh fer $300 dollar rebate, you'ze betcha, by golly, and how." Thus spake the butt-scratcher's brigade of clueless moral retards who found resonance with the TurdBlossom Charade Parade.

The Hague is indeed the sober venue for making spanky for BushCo's hanky panky, he can't be brought forth soon enough. It's the pseudo-propriety of how to get things done that is constipating the rescue of humanity from BusCo, ubberbankers, religious dogmatists and other predators.

SETIsLady wrote: This is very concerning to me. Whether I agree with President Bush or not, he is the President. That could have easely been a bomb or a gun, where was the security, there wasn't any judging from the video.

The most valuable thing anyone daring to lead is to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience. Only such persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”