Tuskegee Airmen Invited to Obama Inauguration

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Tuskegee Airmen Invited to Obama Inauguration

Post by SETIsLady » 12-11-2008 01:19 AM

When the Tuskegee Airmen, the all-black force of elite pilots, emerged from combat in World War II, they faced as much discrimination as they had before the war. It was not until six decades later that their valor was recognized and they received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest civilian honor Congress can give.

Now, the roughly 330 pilots and members of the ground crew who are left from about 16,000 who served are receiving another honor that has surpassed their dreams: They are being invited to watch the inauguration of Barack Obama as the country’s first black president.

“I didn’t believe I’d live long enough to see something like this,” said Lt. Col. Charles A. Lane Jr., 83, of Omaha, a retired Tuskegee fighter pilot who flew missions over Italy.

“I would love to be there, I would love to be able to see it with my own eyes,” he said, chuckling on the phone as he heard about the invitation. But, he said, he had a “physical limitation” and was not sure he would be able to attend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/10/us/po ... ml?_r=2&hp

Panache
Pirate

Post by Panache » 12-11-2008 01:34 AM

That is truly well deserved for ethical people who gave their sincerity and lives to make this a better world.
The most valuable thing anyone daring to lead is to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience. Only such persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity.

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Tuskegee Airmen Invited to Obama Inauguration

Post by racehorse » 12-11-2008 01:34 AM

SETIsLady wrote:
Now, the roughly 330 pilots and members of the ground crew who are left from about 16,000 who served are receiving another honor that has surpassed their dreams: They are being invited to watch the inauguration of Barack Obama as the country’s first black president.

“I didn’t believe I’d live long enough to see something like this,” said Lt. Col. Charles A. Lane Jr., 83, of Omaha, a retired Tuskegee fighter pilot who flew missions over Italy.

“I would love to be there, I would love to be able to see it with my own eyes,” he said, chuckling on the phone as he heard about the invitation. But, he said, he had a “physical limitation” and was not sure he would be able to attend.

I hope Mr. Lane and ALL of the remaining Tuskegee Airmen who want to see the Inauguration in person get the opportunity. They are American Heroes and deserve to.
racehorse

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-11-2008 02:41 AM

It's about time... They have been ignored LONG ENOUGH! They served; they died. and still some survive! It's about time...
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”