Kucinich introducing 35 Articles of Impeachment - CSPAN now

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-11-2008 08:24 PM

Ed Schultz asked him who is supporting this at this point, he said Wexler and Mosely and the rest will make their decisons after they review the Articles of Impeachment, of course that was before the vote earlier today.......also asked him if he thought he would get a lot of support, Dennis said guess it depends on if they would rather keep their jobs or see justice served.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-13-2008 08:09 PM

Even Gore Vidal pays homage to Dennis's greatness of spirit:

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/06/12/9579/
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 08:24 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Ed Schultz asked him who is supporting this at this point, he said Wexler and Mosely and the rest will make their decisons after they review the Articles of Impeachment, of course that was before the vote earlier today.......also asked him if he thought he would get a lot of support, Dennis said guess it depends on if they would rather keep their jobs or see justice served.

Do you think we'll ever see justice served?

(And p.s. I was right about Joe.)

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-13-2008 09:01 PM

And what might you have been right about, Iris?
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-13-2008 09:06 PM

Iris wrote: Do you think we'll ever see justice served?

Sadly no.....if I am wrong will be the first to eat crow.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 11:09 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Sadly no.....if I am wrong will be the first to eat crow.

I would be so happy if we had to go looking for recipes for that crow!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 11:17 PM

joequinn wrote: And what might you have been right about, Iris?

That if I went in to calm down the situation you started I'd end up there all alone by myself. She said no you'd come help me. I was right.

I told Shirley about my friend Merilee Bailey in the 7th grade and about how 300lb Mary the Bully was picking on Merilee. I stepped in to help Merilee and Merilee just stepped back out of it and left me to handle it all alone with no help from her. Mary knocked me down a whole flight of concrete stairs.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-15-2008 11:43 PM

I got this email from my Congressman today, if any of you can help by sending emails that would really be appreciated !!

Dear Linda,

Last Thursday the largest newspaper in my congressional district - the South Florida Sun-Sentinel - published an editorial lambasting my enthusiastic support for immediately holding impeachment hearings for President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Numerous letters to the editor have also criticized my support for this movement.

Below, you'll find the original Sun-Sentinel editorial, followed by my response, which was printed yesterday.

I assure you that I will not back down from this fight – no matter the consequences or political cost. The only thing that maters is that we deliver accountability for the Bush Cheney Administration and defend our government and our constitution.

If you would like to write a letter to the Sun Sentinel, you can email [email protected].

Thank you for your continued support.

Robert Wexler

Sun-Sentinel Editorial

Impeachment not worth another minute of anybody's time
South Florida Sun-Sentinel Editorial Board
June 12, 2008
ISSUE: Some in Congress want an impeachment.
The nation does have a few pressing issues pending that could use some attention from our federal lawmakers.
Let's see. There are a couple of wars going on, unemployment is on the rise as the value of a house continues to fall, millions of Americans have no health insurance, and did we mention that gas prices are expected to hit $5 a gallon? You get the idea. And still, some in Congress feel the nation is just itching for another presidential impeachment.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, who has made a career out of eye-rolling issues like these, said this week he wants the House to consider a resolution to impeach President Bush. Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Delray Beach, who is smarter than this, supported the Articles of Impeachment, which won't go anywhere and thankfully have been buried in a committee not likely to hold hearings before Bush leaves office.

Last year, Kucinich led the misguided charge to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney, and Wexler supported that. In the case of Bush, Wexler called it a "sworn duty" of Congress to act.

Actually, it's nobody's sworn duty to take up any time to go after a badly battered president with only a few months left in office. This is a president so unpopular, presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain won't make many public appearances with him. This is a president who is such a non-entity, peace activists didn't even
bother to protest his appearance in Berlin this week.

Nor should Congress bother with the ridiculous idea of impeachment, which Kucinich contends is warranted because Bush deceived the nation into war.
There's plenty of evidence to fuel Kucinich's ire, but not his choice of remedy. If Congress needs more things than impeachment to keep lawmakers busy, it has myriad options.

BOTTOM LINE: Get on with REAL issues.

Copyright (c) 2008, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Wexler Response:

The Sun-Sentinel recently ran an editorial criticizing my support for the articles of impeachment against President Bush opining that Congress should instead "get on with REAL issues" such as the Iraq war. In fact, it is this very war -- entered into following an unprecedented campaign of lies and manipulated intelligence by the Bush Administration -- that necessitates impeachment hearings. This war has cost us the lives of 4,090 US soldiers, injuries to over 30,000, and more than a trillion taxpayer dollars when it is all said and done.

It is a dark day when the Sun-Sentinel has the gall to tell the parents of the soldiers who have died in Iraq that pursuing
consequences for those that prosecuted this war of choice based on outright deception is not a "REAL" issue that Congress should address.

Sadly, the war is only the beginning. We now know that this Administration illegally ordered the torture of prisoners, obstructed justice by lying about the outing of a covert CIA agent and authorizing warrantless spying on American citizens.

No one can deny that if proven these allegations amount to High Crimes. Our failure to act sets an awful precedent and enables future Presidents to break the law and violate our Constitution without sanctions from Congress.

The Sentinel says impeachment is the wrong "remedy" for this litany of crimes. What then is the proper remedy? A harsh lecture? A strongly worded editorial? Or how about doing absolutely nothing in the face of these outrageous abuses of power?

Impeachment hearings need not distract us from other important priorities such as the economy, gas prices and bringing the troops home from Iraq. Congress can and should address all important issues - including safeguarding our constitutional rights and obligations.

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 06-15-2008 11:56 PM

Iris wrote: That if I went in to calm down the situation you started I'd end up there all alone by myself. She said no you'd come help me. I was right.

I told Shirley about my friend Merilee Bailey in the 7th grade and about how 300lb Mary the Bully was picking on Merilee. I stepped in to help Merilee and Merilee just stepped back out of it and left me to handle it all alone with no help from her. Mary knocked me down a whole flight of concrete stairs.

well, iris, i hope that you've learned your lesson. if you're going to stand up to a bully, make sure there's no concrete stairs behind you.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-16-2008 12:17 AM

Originally in the "The Wexler Response" posted by SETIsLady
Sadly, the war is only the beginning. We now know that this Administration illegally ordered the torture of prisoners, obstructed justice by lying about the outing of a covert CIA agent and authorizing warrantless spying on American citizens.

Sorry Wexler, no dice.

These crimes were first perpetrated (and discovered) years ago. The uncomfortable truth is this: nearly the entire House of Representatives neglected their sworn duty - FOR YEARS. In doing so, the members of The House of the People betrayed the Nation, and destroyed their honor in the process.

We can only assume that further crimes, unseen by the peasant masses, kept the house from bringing forth these articles until now - too late to be of any real consequence.

When the lists are assembled, and the purges begin, these facts will not be forgotten.
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-16-2008 12:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-16-2008 12:22 AM

lazarus long wrote: well, iris, i hope that you've learned your lesson. if you're going to stand up to a bully, make sure there's no concrete stairs behind you.

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

This time I checked. ;)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-16-2008 12:27 AM

SquidInk wrote: Sorry Wexler, no dice..

Squidink, with all due respect Congressman Wexler has been trying to get Bush and Cheney impeached for quite a while. As well as being a co-sponsor to Kuchinchs bill. At least he is doing something which is more than I can say for the rest of them. I know that he has been doing this because he is my Congressman and I have been supporting him in this effort.

I think we should support any of them that are at least doing what they need to do.

http://wexlerwantshearings.com/

showthread.php?s=&threadid=31907&highlight=Wexler

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 06-16-2008 12:45 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Squidink, with all due respect Congressman Wexler has been trying to get Bush and Cheney impeached for quite a while. As well as being a co-sponsor to Kuchinchs bill. At least he is doing something which is more than I can say for the rest of them. I know that he has been doing this because he is my Congressman and I have been supporting him in this effort.

http://wexlerwantshearings.com/

showthread.php?s=&threadid=31907&highlight=Wexler

setis, i think that you might have misunderstood squidink (maybe, if i'm wrong, let me know).
i think that he was saying that wexler's efforts might be futile because all of the collusion of the people involved. i believe (and, once again, i might be wrong) that he was questioning how willing they would be to impeach bush for crimes that they collaborated with and might also be held accountable for.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-16-2008 12:49 AM

Awwwwwwwww well thats completely different. Thanks LL its been a long day and perhaps its time for me to hit the sack :o :D Thanks for the clarification, if thats the case Squid Ink, please ignore my post :D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-16-2008 12:51 AM

The reason for my post is to help Wexler with the local paper down here they are beating him up for his efforts, I hope anyone that can will write to the newspaper to support him.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”