Dems Reach Delegate Agreement

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-08-2008 06:25 PM

SETIsLady wrote: ((((((((Hugs)))))))))))) Joolz, so nice to see you again :)

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} backatcha! :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-08-2008 06:26 PM

Linnea wrote: Hey, Iris! Hey, Joolz!
Missed Ya! Very nice to see you.

:cool:

Hi Linn! ::: waving ::: :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-08-2008 06:27 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Joolz so nice to see you here, glad to hear you and Corvid are doing well and that school is almost over, it's been a long journey, huh. ((((Hugs)))) to both of you.:)
Hi Shirley! Yep, it's been a long journey... and it ain't over yet! ;) :D {{{{{Hugs}}}} back to you, too. :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-08-2008 06:36 PM

Shirleypal wrote: You may be right there, let's hope he hasn't sold his soul to the compnay store.

Edwards? He's made a career out of fighting the company store.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-08-2008 06:43 PM

Joolz wrote: Well, I got my B.A. a year ago last December. I've been working on my M.A. since then. I'm all done with classes, though. At this point, I just have to write my thesis. I'm not teaching at the moment. I did a stint as a T.A. in a world mythology class last fall, though, and looooved it. As for moving, we're actually just moving a few blocks. Great house in a neighborhood we like and are already familiar with. Just got the keys Friday night. :D And yes, I'm about to be "too busy moving to post." LOL

It feels like you've been working so hard in school for such a long time, doesn't it? I'm so proud of you, my friend! It must be wonderful to see the light at the end of that tunnel, at looooong last. I know you're going to be a wonderful prof -- and it's fabulous to think of you enjoying your job so much.

Ah... then you will stay near your beautiful daughter. Last I'd heard you were moving back east? Well this is exciting! We'll need photos, of course. I just think of the house you're in -- you've done such a great job decorating it and an amazing job on your pretty yard. But then I remember those dogs getting into your yard and wrecking everything and some neighbors that were less than fun. I hope you love your new place. Why the move?

Wish we were all there -- many hands would make your move light and cheery.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-08-2008 06:45 PM

Waverider wrote: :D Let's see here... Rom, Iris, Joolz... great starting lineup... love it!

Hey Jeri! Good to see you're still here!

Funny how an election brings us all out, isn't it? :cool:

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-08-2008 06:58 PM

Forgive me, folks, for this post, which commits the sin against the Holy Ghost by being totally off-topic, but I have a couple of private words for Joolz which the rest of you can ignore and which some of you might not even understand…

Joolz, I did not know that you were so interested in comparative mythology. This subject has been an deep obsession of mine ever since the 1960s, and in the days when I still thought that human nature was educatable, I used to lecture on mythological subjects extensively. Immersion within the mythological consciousness is an exquisitely intoxicating experience: I can tell you that from personal experience. But another part of you needs to be very, very suspicious of that mythological consciousness and, when necessary, even to fight against it with all your strength. Yes, the mythological consciousness intensifies, and yes, there is nothing quite as ecstatic as following your bliss. But mythological consciousness also simplifies, and following one’s bliss, if that bliss turns out to a Freudian death-instinct in disguise, ends not merely in suicide but also in genocide. In proof of that assertion, I invite you to contemplate the last thirty years of Amerikan history from a mythological point of view.

I also invite you to study the lives of both Jung and Campbell, both of whom enthralled me profoundly in my youth --- but both of whom came oh-so-disturbingly close to turning to the Dark Side of fascist evil. The lives of these two men are an inspiration, yes, but they are also a warning, a very frightening warning. The ecstasy of the mythological consciousness is quite intense, Joolz, as I know full well. But death and madness lie right by --- and perhaps even within --- that ecstasy. Be very, very careful of the mythological consciousness, Joolz, and never more so than when its bliss starts to tingle within your veins…
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 06-08-2008 11:08 PM

joequinn wrote: Forgive me, folks, for this post, which commits the sin against the Holy Ghost by being totally off-topic, but I have a couple of private words for Joolz which the rest of you can ignore and which some of you might not even understand…

Joolz, I did not know that you were so interested in comparative mythology. This subject has been an deep obsession of mine ever since the 1960s, and in the days when I still thought that human nature was educatable, I used to lecture on mythological subjects extensively. Immersion within the mythological consciousness is an exquisitely intoxicating experience: I can tell you that from personal experience. But another part of you needs to be very, very suspicious of that mythological consciousness and, when necessary, even to fight against it with all your strength. Yes, the mythological consciousness intensifies, and yes, there is nothing quite as ecstatic as following your bliss. But mythological consciousness also simplifies, and following one’s bliss, if that bliss turns out to a Freudian death-instinct in disguise, ends not merely in suicide but also in genocide. In proof of that assertion, I invite you to contemplate the last thirty years of Amerikan history from a mythological point of view.

I also invite you to study the lives of both Jung and Campbell, both of whom enthralled me profoundly in my youth --- but both of whom came oh-so-disturbingly close to turning to the Dark Side of fascist evil. The lives of these two men are an inspiration, yes, but they are also a warning, a very frightening warning. The ecstasy of the mythological consciousness is quite intense, Joolz, as I know full well. But death and madness lie right by --- and perhaps even within --- that ecstasy. Be very, very careful of the mythological consciousness, Joolz, and never more so than when its bliss starts to tingle within your veins…

Oh, I'm sure there are many others reading here who will understand you, Joe. Please do not underestimate your fellow pirates' abilities. ;) I am surprised, however, that you say you did not know the focus of my studies all these long years, as I've mentioned it here may times in the past, and seem to recall having discussed these and similar subjects with you in the past as well.

As for myself and my interest in mythology, just so that we're clear on what I was talking to Iris about above: As I'm sure you're well aware, focus on any topic from an academic perspective requires, at best, that one approach the subject from as neutral a position as is humanly possible. In an academic sense, then, the study of world mythology (which is, BTW, distinct and apart from the study of classical Greek and Roman mythologies) is approached primarily in terms of anthropology and history. Theorists are studied, from Frazer (example of early theorist) to Campbell (although much of modern academia unfortunately frowns upon Campbell) to Jung (he's frowned upon in some arenas as well) to Freud (also frowned upon) to Malinowski, Levi-Strauss, and Eliade, to name but a few. Myths are studied in relation to culture (anthropological) and history as related to a given geographical area (and sometimes the relationship between the geography itself and beliefs of the peoples who live or lived there). But in academia, philosophical considerations of myth are the province of philosophers, and the more mystical aspects are considered to be within the realm of theologians and thealogians of whatever stripe. That's not to say that I don't have personal interests that may or may not delve into these regions, but these are not a part of what I study (nor teach), so really have little to do with myth in relation to my work.

Now, beyond all of that, I'll thank you for spinning words for me, for your concern, and, of course, for your lecture. However, please do not think of me as one who is caught up in some ecstatic bliss by way of my studies, nor as someone easily fooled or coerced by the "Dark Side," as you so name it. I am well aware of who I am and where I stand, which is with both feet firmly planted upon the ground. Thanks again, for your concern.

All that aside, this conversation verges on "work" (ha!). Since I'm currently on vacation and in the process of moving, my time for such musings and meanderings is necessarily and delightedly limited at present. We are also, albeit admittedly so, a bit far afield from the intended topic of this thread.

::: Returning this thread to its previously scheduled discussion :::

May the Force be with you, Joe. ;) ;) :D
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 06-09-2008 12:18 AM

Ah'... but this is so much more interesting, than fighting amongst ourselves...:)

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”