Obama: I'll review every Bush executive order with my AG &am

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

tiffany
Pirate

Obama: I'll review every Bush executive order with my AG &am

Post by tiffany » 05-28-2008 04:03 PM

DENVER - Maybe it’s his background teaching constitutional law. If elected president, Democratic White House hopeful Barack Obama said one of the first things he wants to do is ensure the constitutionality of all the laws and executive orders passed while Republican President George W. Bush has been in office.

Those that don’t pass muster will be overturned, he said.

During a fund-raiser in Denver, Obama — a former constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago Law School — was asked what he hoped to accomplish during his first 100 days in office.

“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama.

http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/0 ... s-laws-...

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-28-2008 04:20 PM

Is it too much to hope that whomever (except for McCain, of course!) gets the Oval Office will want to do this, and then just DO IT??!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-28-2008 05:06 PM

It is only Obama who has promised it, that and ending the war were the two things that first drew me to him as a candidate. He has been saying this since the beginning of his candidacy.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-28-2008 05:20 PM

We watched a Special on KCET TV quite a few months ago, long before Obama was a force to contend with, and the concensus of the people debating this issue was that NO CANDIDATE would be willing to take "any toys out of the box" once he/she becomes Commander In Chief, because GWB has set a precedent, and in order to deal with issues which will now ultimately come to the forefront, whomever becomes President will need "all those toys" to deal with Congress and the Senate.

I truly HOPE Obama lives up to his word, presuming he gets elected; he wasn't considered serious enough to be brought into the KCET debate, as I recall, but the one thing said about Hillary was that we could BET she'll keep all the toys in the box, and ADD a few of her own, as will McCain.

I was FOR Obama even back then, although if Hillary by some grace manages to corner the nomination, I will vote for her over McCain.

My brother, whose politics I severely disagree with, really believes that bringing up the Kennedy assassination so often, of late, is no accident... he thinks she was sending a message to Obama to "be very careful." But my brother is a Clinton-hater. And I never could understand why, because the LAST time he worked at a job "in his field of expertise" and made more than $9.50/hour was during the Clinton Adm. Some people, it seems, just don't know when times are good...
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 05-28-2008 08:50 PM

“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution,” said Obama.

"I feel", I think this leaves a bit too much room. To me it either does violate the Constitution or it doesn't violate the Constitution. I'd like to hear him say which of these things he would overturn before the election

If he "feels" like bush, we'd be in big trouble...
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-28-2008 09:07 PM

Here was a question and answer session with a Conservative reporter who kept up the current Administration's commentary following BHO's answer. Somehow I think a constitutional scholar has more knowledge than a Boston Globe reporter but judge for yourself.
http://documents.scribd.com/docs/rj0ugk ... 664e6t.pdf
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”