Why We Need A Pres. Tough On Immigration

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-27-2008 06:32 PM

Explain to me how prejudice is connected to people breaking our laws and illegally crossing our borders.

I want to understand your thinking Chick and Shirl.

ibme
Pirate

Post by ibme » 05-27-2008 06:35 PM

We cannot illegally enter Mexico or any other country without severe repercussions. Why is it that our country must carry the expensive load of another country's citizens to our citizens detriment
tiffany, I think that is pretty much it. Prejudice is the least of our problems, but what is always brought up. The US is tanking, and our government wants it to. That is why there are millions of illegals. We shouldn't have to fight amongst ourselves. Do you guys think the North American Union is a conspiracy theory?

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-27-2008 06:47 PM

tiffany wrote: Explain to me how prejudice is connected to people breaking our laws and illegally crossing our borders.

I want to understand your thinking Chick and Shirl.

Good question tiffany. I'd like a SPECIFIC answer from one of the people saying it equates to prejudice also. If I don't want my country's laws broken, please explain how the hell that makes me racist!!!! This kind of finger pointing, even in general, only serves to divide people further.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 05-27-2008 07:05 PM

Explain to me how prejudice is connected to people breaking our laws and illegally crossing our borders.

It isn't. It is my own emotional response to the data, and, the fact that there really is one group involved--Mexicans. Sure, there are other illegals, but, Mexico is the country that borders us, making entry easy.

Maybe some of my feeling has to do with recalling some of the prejudice against Italian immigrants (my heritage) and other neighbors in the Bronx, where I grew up, immigrants from Ireland and Germany mainly.
please explain how the hell that makes me racist!!!! This kind of finger pointing, even in general, only serves to divide people further.

I was quick to point out that I'm not calling anyone a racist. I am purely talking about how I feel, not how you feel--how would I know how you feel LOL

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-27-2008 07:14 PM

Chickadee wrote:
Maybe some of my feeling has to do with recalling some of the prejudice against Italian immigrants (my heritage) and other neighbors in the Bronx, where I grew up, immigrants from Ireland and Germany mainly.

Thank you for your openess. I am Italian and my grandparents came from Calabria on a ship. They went thru Ellis Island. The main difference with my immigrant grandparents and those that I am talking about here is that my grandparents went thru the legal process and those that are here illegally did not.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-27-2008 07:23 PM

Chickadee wrote: and, the fact that there really is one group involved--Mexicans. Sure, there are other illegals, but, Mexico is the country that borders us, making entry easy.

If Canada were on our southern border then, would you still feel "It smacks of prejudisim" when Americans didn't want Canadians breaking our national law?
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-27-2008 07:27 PM

Chickadee wrote: I find it difficult to think rationally about the problems without feeling like it smacks of prejudice against illegal immigrants.

Originally posted by tiffany Explain to me how prejudice is connected to people breaking our laws and illegally crossing our borders.
Originally posted by Chickadee
It isn't

:confused:
Last edited by tiffany on 05-27-2008 07:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

ibme
Pirate

Post by ibme » 05-27-2008 07:41 PM

Do you guys think the North American Union is a conspiracy theory?
Excuse me for quoting myself to ask this question again. I need to know the answer.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-27-2008 07:47 PM

ibme wrote: Excuse me for quoting myself to ask this question again. I need to know the answer.

Hell no.;) All you have to look at is the almost monthly changing of our money......and it has to look pretty like other foreign money because they are going to call it the Amero.
Last edited by tiffany on 05-27-2008 07:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-27-2008 07:49 PM

ibme wrote: Excuse me for quoting myself to ask this question again. I need to know the answer.

There was a time when Europeans didn't believe anything about an 'EU' either.

The NAU is reality.

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 05-27-2008 07:50 PM

tiff, maj, i think that i get the gist of chickadee's post (please correct me if i'm wrong).
i think that she was referring to her ambivalence on this issue (maybe not the best word, but there it is): she's well aware of the problem of illegal immigration, but has seen how, in her own life, similar arguments have been used to justify prejudice against other ethnic groups. this, understandably, may lead to some moral dilemmas and ethical quandaries.
i hope that helps.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-27-2008 07:59 PM

lazarus long wrote: tiff, maj, i think that i get the gist of chickadee's post (please correct me if i'm wrong).
i think that she was referring to her ambivalence on this issue (maybe not the best word, but there it is): she's well aware of the problem of illegal immigration, but has seen how, in her own life, similar arguments have been used to justify prejudice against other ethnic groups. this, understandably, may lead to some moral dilemmas and ethical quandaries.
i hope that helps.

Thanks Laz. I can't speak for chickadee, only for myself. I simply do not like to see the word 'prejudice' used simultaneously with the word 'illegal'. It is a subtle way of making 'illegal' seem okay. Where does it stop?

ibme
Pirate

Post by ibme » 05-27-2008 08:01 PM

Thanks for the replies tiffany and madja. I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who was right. :D

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-27-2008 08:04 PM

Thanks for your explanation Laz.

Where my conflict lies with the above comments is that nationality and it's prejudism has nothing to do with illegal entry. They are apples and oranges.

Too many people and groups who support illegal entry say that those who do not support it are wrong, and somehow are looking at their color rather than their action. I think that is what I am trying to understand. How do people equate prejudice/nationality with illegal entry. Two totally different things.
Last edited by tiffany on 05-27-2008 08:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 05-27-2008 08:15 PM

Racism (as it applies to immigration) and anti-semitism (as it applies to questioning Israel) are the new McCarthyisms.

I'm not buying it. I will not allow others to define the terms of the argument.

Try again folks?

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”