What about the issues?

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

vigo
Chief Swabbie

What about the issues?

Post by vigo » 05-24-2008 10:54 PM

I've joined in on enough of the flamed broiling going on between Hillary and Barack this past week. My hands are getting a little tender from the flipping of those posts (Cheese anyone). So, my real concern is what the candidates stances are on the issues that affect me personally. Issues that are near and dear to my heart. I'm asking you, what's important to you? What issue(s) gets in your craw and which candidate has the best answer to your issue(s)?

I'm not leaving out any candidate because it ain't over till its over baby. ;) :cool:
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-24-2008 10:57 PM

What ?????????????????? :p Sorry Vigo I don't mean to make light of your thread. Just hoping this thread can actually do some good :)

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 05-24-2008 11:00 PM

What part? :o :D

Okay, what about the issues.

1. Troops out of Iraq.

2. No bombing of Iran

3. Fix Economy

4. Fix border issues

5. Health care

Really concrete answers no B.S., spell it out. Then I'll see who I'll vote for.

I took it like that Linda, no harm no foul. :D I wasn't finished carrying my text over. Ha ha. Hit the enter button too early. Meds are messing with the mind a bit. ;)
Last edited by vigo on 05-24-2008 11:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-24-2008 11:05 PM

Vigo asked in another thread:

Originally posted by vigo
We? Seems like it's a jump on Obama supporters now.

McCain gets a pass.

Okay, what about the issues.

1. Troops out of Iraq.

2. No bombing of Iran

3. Fix Economy

4. Fix boarder issues

5. Health care

Really concrete answers no B.S., spell it out. Then I'll see who I'll vote for.

Obama:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1h24ivVW4

Here in Sunshine FL Obama states that he will close Git, he will bring back Habeous Corpus, he will put an end to the killing in Darfur and other places.

He has taught Constitutional Law and will obey the Constitution

He has stated that he will end the war in 09

He will make sure the Vets are taken care of (he was very detailed in Puerto Rico today with Vets about their proper care.)

He will look to other green sources of energy to open up jobs and our own energy.

He will have a comphensive immigration policy where the laws will be obeyed but he will allow those already here to go to the end of the line for citizenship. (which I do not agree with)

He wants Universal Healthcare but is not going to force it on all adults. He will make sure $2500.00 is taken off the top for a family's premiums for healthcare to start with.
Last edited by tiffany on 05-24-2008 11:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-24-2008 11:11 PM

He will make sure that the corporations are no longer stiffing us by not allowing their lobbyists to control our lawmaking and get tax writeoffs while they take their jobs overseas. He will give tax credits to those companies who keep their jobs here.

He will no longer allow the signing statements to remain on the books. He will undo much of the Executive Branches changes in our Constitution and bring back our rights.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-24-2008 11:14 PM

As I said in the other thread I'm not sure the damage can be undone by anyone vying for the position. I hope he can.

Let me think more on Obama's answers to your questions.

Before he Bomb bomb bombs Iran he will try for negotiations since the status quo has certainly not done a darn thing but make things worse in the world towards us. Talk first but if they won't listen and threaten us take action is his stance.
Last edited by tiffany on 05-24-2008 11:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-24-2008 11:22 PM

Obama's stimulus plan:

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: January 13, 2008

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Democrat Barack Obama on Sunday unveiled an economic stimulus package costing up to $120 billion that his campaign said would put money in the hands of workers and seniors, stem the foreclosure crisis and cover state budget shortfalls....Obama, a senator from Illinois, called on the government to make available a $250 tax credit to 150 million workers to offset the payroll tax paid on the first $8,100 of earnings. He urged a further $250 tax credit per worker if employment declines three months in a row. He also would give a one-time, $250 payment to Social Security recipients who would not benefit from the tax credit, followed by another $250 payment if employment declines three months straight.

The immediate relief would cost $75 billion, plus another $45 billion if the economy weakened.

Obama also pledged $10 billion to increase pre-foreclosure counseling and help ''responsible homeowners'' refinance their mortgages or sell their homes. The plan also calls for $10 billion to help states and local governments facing budget problems as a result of the housing crisis, caused by falling property values and sales tax revenue.

Obama also wants $10 billion to extend unemployment insurance while loosening the eligibility criteria to include many part-time and nontraditional workers....

Austan Goolsbee, a senior economic policy adviser to Obama, said the plan was slightly larger than the $110 billion package advocated by Obama's chief rival, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, on Friday. Goolsbee said Obama's plan would have a more immediate impact because checks for tax credits and Social Security payments could be issued right away, while Clinton's plan to subsidize such things as higher heating bills would require an application process....The Clinton campaign noted her plan would offer more assistance on housing than Obama's -- $30 billion in total -- and touted her proposal to impose a moratorium on subprime-loan-based foreclosures and freeze subprime mortgage lending rates....

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-O ... omy.htm...

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-25-2008 12:36 AM

I think each issue deserves at least a seperate answer. The war is my primary issue, although I am probably most knowledgeble about the economy, but that one probably deserves a seperate thread, at least.:) It's late so I will stick to the war in Iraq issue.

John McCain's policy is similar to Bush's, but I really believe it's Bush on steroids and without the brains (devious and malevolent though they are) of Cheney. Cheney/Bush's reason for invading Iraq was primarily economic in my opinion. John McCain has no dog in that race, but bases his decision that we must "win the war in Iraq" on moral imperative (always scares me when these guys start talking like that:eek: ). He says he'll push for political reconciliation between the tribes, blah,blah. What the "surge" was supposed to accomplish. What is winning in Iraq supposed to look like? No one has ever fully satisfied me with an answer to that question. Full position here:
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Iss ... 3f11d8.htm

Hillary Clinton's policy on Iraq states that she will begin to bring the troops home on her first day in office. Or at least begin the planning for the withdrawal. She also says she will tell the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs to prepare a comprehensive plan to provide the highest quality health care and benefits to every service member -- including every member of the National Guard and Reserves -- and their families. Unfortunately that is not her purview, Congress must appropriate moneys for any change in benefits. She could submit this plan to Congress, but it is theirs to act upon. She did vote for the Webb Amendment this last Friday providing educational benefits to veterans similar to other wars. She voted against further funding for the war on the same day. She did vote to give GWB permission to begin the war initially. And she was one of them (Senators) who did not read the whole secret report (there were only a handful like Biden, Dodd etc who read the whole damn thing) but claims she voted based on the report (re: WMD), she only read a staff prepared synopsis.
http://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/iraq/

Barack Obama has been against the war in Iraq since the beginning. Of course he did not hold national office and so did not have to vote yea or nay. But he gave a wonderful speech against the war when he still a Illinois State Senator. Full text here:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Ob ... raq_Speech
This was before he drew national attention at the Dem National Convention in 2004.
As for his getting the troops out of Iraq his plan is nearly identical to Hillary's except he is willing to meet with the Iranians or Syrians himself to get their assistance in stabilizing the region. For this Hillary has called him naive and McCain has come within and nth degree of calling him traitorous.
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/iraq/
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-25-2008 01:00 AM

tiffany wrote: He will make sure that the corporations are no longer stiffing us by not allowing their lobbyists to control our lawmaking and get tax writeoffs while they take their jobs overseas. He will give tax credits to those companies who keep their jobs here.

He will no longer allow the signing statements to remain on the books. He will undo much of the Executive Branches changes in our Constitution and bring back our rights.

And he will do this exactly how? Politicians words are cheap. I'd like to hear one of them tell me EXACTLY how they will fulfill at least ONE of their bull**** promises!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-25-2008 01:18 AM

majda wrote: And he will do this exactly how? Politicians words are cheap. I'd like to hear one of them tell me EXACTLY how they will fulfill at least ONE of their bull**** promises!

I think I explained how Hill and Barack will end the war, and it is within the legal parameter of the President to order the Pentagon to draw up orders to begin withdrawal. So there is one promise I believe either candidate will keep.
And McSame has promised to keep the troops there until we win.
They all promise things that sometimes require action on the part of Congress but I listen to see if they say "I will do this" or "I will offer up a bill" because on some issues the can only do the latter.

The first part of Tiffany's post he will need the action of Congress. And he has stated that. He usually says "we need to give tax credits to companies who will keep jobs in the US". Usually when a pol says "we" it means "I'll propose this to Congress, you (the electorate) put people in who will vote my way, then hold their feet to the fire to vote this way".

As to all the signing statements that Bush has done, many of which really restrict our constitutional liberties, especially the one on Habeas Corpus, he can undo those with the stroke of a pen and says he will. I believe him. He is a Constitutional Scholar, and highly regarded in that respect. He taught Constitutional Law at the University of Chicago...no slouch law school.:)
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-25-2008 02:24 AM

Psychicwolf wrote: I think I explained how Hill and Barack will end the war, and it is within the legal parameter of the President to order the Pentagon to draw up orders to begin withdrawal.

Then, I would like to hear the exact words out of their mouths... i.e.: 'I WILL order the Pentagon to draw up orders to begin withdrawal'. NOT, 'I will end the war'. There's a big difference.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-25-2008 07:38 AM

majda wrote: Then, I would like to hear the exact words out of their mouths... i.e.: 'I WILL order the Pentagon to draw up orders to begin withdrawal'. NOT, 'I will end the war'. There's a big difference.
Obama has already acted on the troop withdrawl, he submitted legislation in January 2007 to do just that.

Here is the link to the legislation he submitted in 2007.

S. 433: Iraq War De-Escalation Act of 2007

Introduced: Jan 30, 2007
Sponsor: Sen. Barack Obama [D-IL]

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... l=s110-433

This is what he is promising once he becomes President. If you read the plan, he has even said that he would take immediate steps to confront the humanitarian disaster in Iraq, and to hold accountable any perpetrators of potential war crimes. I think he is clear about what his plans are.

Bringing Our Troops Home

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

All Combat Troops Redeployed by 2009:

Barack Obama would immediately begin redeploying American
troops from Iraq. The withdrawal would be strategic and phased, directed by military commanders on the
ground and done in consultation with the Iraqi government. Troops would be removed from secure areas first,
with troops remaining longer in more volatile areas. The drawdown would begin immediately with one to two
combat brigades redeploying each month and all troops engaged in combat operations out by the end of next
year.

Residual Force to Remain: Under the Obama plan, American troops may remain in Iraq or the region. These
American troops will protect American diplomatic and military personnel in Iraq, and continue striking at al
Qaeda in Iraq. If Iraq makes political progress and their security forces are not sectarian, we would also
continue training the Iraqi Security Forces. In the event of an outbreak of genocide, we would reserve the right
to intervene, with the international community, if that intervention was needed to provide civilians with a safehaven.
Withdrawal is the Best Way

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/pdf/IraqFactSheet.pdf

I think his plan is a responsible one. And he has a better track record on this issue .

Also, as you know the Vets are important to me, so he has several bills regarding that.

Lane Evans Veterans Health and Benefits Improvement Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate)

To amend titles 10 and 38, United States Code, to improve benefits and services for members of the Armed Forces, veterans of the Global War on Terrorism, and other veterans, to require reports on the effects of the Global War on Terrorism, and for other purposes.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:s.117:

SAVE Reauthorization Act of 2005 (Introduced in Senate)

To amend title 38, United States Code, to reauthorize various programs servicing the needs of homeless veterans for fiscal years 2007 through 2011, and for other purposes.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:s.1180:

Working with Senators Akaka and Craig, Senator Obama passed legislation in December 2006 to provide comprehensive services and affordable housing options to veterans through the Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Housing and Urban Development and nonprofit organizations. This legislation was signed into law and is modeled on parts of the SAVE Act and the Homes for Heroes Act, a measure that Senator Obama had previously authored.

Homes for Heroes Act of 2006

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:s.3475:

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 05-25-2008 10:17 AM

Issues:

1 - Immigration reform:

a) Seal the border.
b) Deport when possible.
c) Prosecute employers who knowingly hire illegals.
d) Limit legal immigration to 100,000 a year for the next 10 years so the immigrants already here have a chance to assimilate.
e) Strictly enforce existing immigration laws.

2 - Repeal the PA which trashed the 1st and 4th amendments in particular.

3 - Repeal the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Although I'd like to see our troops withdrawn from Iraq, I fear we'll be stuck there for many years to come.

Biker

P.S.

Ron Paul in 2008! :D
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-25-2008 10:19 AM

Psychic and Linda thank you for the in depth answers to my one liners as I was too tired to research last night. I heard him say the things that are mentioned by me. I knew there was information on the issue thank you for posting some of them.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-25-2008 10:20 AM

Biker I totally agree with what you (or Ron Paul) has said about Immigration..;)

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”