What about the issues?

Archive. Enter at your own risk. Unmoderated thread.

Moderator: Super Moderators

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-26-2008 10:34 AM

Shimmering if the oil fields are booming what are they doing with the oil ...giving it to Japan......just like our lumber and our strawberries. At my pump I see the price going up daily. When will that oil help us out.

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 05-26-2008 11:24 AM

tiffany wrote: Shimmering if the oil fields are booming what are they doing with the oil ...giving it to Japan......just like our lumber and our strawberries. At my pump I see the price going up daily. When will that oil help us out.

God willing... when they give the go ahead to begin exploration and drilling in ANWAR, NPRA, and ALL other domestic fields which are currently off limits. ;)

BTW, Obama is the only candidate in favor of opening ANWAR.

It is estimated there is enough oil in one small portion of ANWAR alone to replace what we import from Saudi Arabia ... for *thirty* years or replace *half* of the oil we import from the entire Persian Gulf for *forty* years.

IMO... well, hasn't the time come for America to more toward a more autonomous way of life?

At present we are being held hostage by middle eastern oil. And there's no reason to continue on this way. America *must* solve this issue.

Clearly we *need* relief. We have vast reserves of domestic natural gas and oil just sitting there waiting to be drilled. WHY?

Here's a good article on this issue:

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2008/05/02/72167068
Last edited by Shimmering Auro on 05-26-2008 11:27 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-26-2008 11:28 AM

Linnea -- need to leave SS and Med for seniors in federal levels. WHY is really very simple - people MOVE. To remove it to States you would have the states demanding that the SS and Med for person "A" be sent to their state as that is the state they were earned - but suppose person "A" worked in three, four or even more states? Then suppose person "A" lives in two places (can I say snowbirds) - do we then have to set up accounts in whatever state they are residing in for however many months they reside there?

==
SetisLady -- Iran situation...talks might work when they get rid of the current head of state in Iran. The people and even the Ayatollahs (Spelling??) do not agree with him. Right now - talking to him is like talking to a coiled rattlesnake about to strike out. Can't be trusted.

You want to go over everything the Bush administration gave to the UN - how about we look at all the UN members and go after those OIL for FOOD and demand the money be returned? Let alone all the shady stuff other UN members have been doing...

EDIT TO ADD:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,358063,00.html

Report: Iran 'Paid Iraq Insurgents to Kill U.K. Soldiers'

Sunday, May 25, 2008
CHECK THAT OUT and then tell me more about IRAN... this should scare everyone!

===
ISSUES: How about if we could get the 3 runners to put their words into writing and then HOLD them to it? oh well nice thought... we all know that no matter who gets into office - it will still be controlled by the congress...remember that!
Last edited by Cherry Kelly on 05-26-2008 11:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-26-2008 11:36 AM

SetisLady -- Iran situation...talks might work when they get rid of the current head of state in Iran. The people and even the Ayatollahs (Spelling??) do not agree with him. Right now - talking to him is like talking to a coiled rattlesnake about to strike out. Can't be trusted.

You want to go over everything the Bush administration gave to the UN - how about we look at all the UN members and go after those OIL for FOOD and demand the money be returned? Let alone all the shady stuff other UN members have been doing...
CK, I don't believe Vigo put this thread up to debate the issues, he put it up for us to post up whats important to us. I have stated my views on Iran and why I support my candidate. If you want to debate Iran, we can certainly start another thread. But I am going to respect Vigo's original intent of this thread.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-26-2008 12:28 PM

Linnea wrote: Without sounding too naive here, I find the idea of simply accepting that state government, or federal government is 'corrupt' as a given and to accept that is very defeatist and kills any thought of 'possible solutions' to anything. If such a large move were made, there would be plenty of public scrutiny of how this was handled by the states. The feds are much more secretive and remote and indulge in many obfucations and shell games with the SSA Trust funds.

As for health care in the State of Washington, are you not familiar with the Washington Basic Health plan?

http://www.access.wa.gov

Click on the link for Health Care Authority.

I am aware of the Washington Basic Health Plan. At the present time, there are only limited managed care plans that limit the physician you may see and it is primarily a plan for low-income people. Here in Pierce County you are limited (it goes by county) to Community Health or Molina. Both really limiting plans.Seniors will not be happy to give up the freedom to see the physician of their choice. CK also brought up a good point in that there are a fair number of seniors who are snowbirds. How would the plans work then?
I disagree that CMS (the management arm of Medicare) is not transparent. The are very transparent in their management of the program. The shortfall that Medicare will be facing soon comes (in part) from the problem that Medicare is charges premiums which are not tied to the person's income. For instance, a friend of mine, who is a nurse in Las Vegas. One night many years ago, when he was still alive, Bob Hope was brought into the emergency room. His primary insurance was Medicare, he also of course had a top shelf back-up insurance. She was chatting with him after his treatment and he apologized for having Medicare as his primary insurance, but thems the rules. If you are a Medicare patient, unless you are employed at a wage job and if you are over the age of 72), Medicare IS your primary insurance. They continued talking and it really bothered Mr. Hope that he paid the same premiums for his Medicare (you only pay premiums on Part B, the outpatient portion) as a little old lady who was barely subsisting.

We need to tie premiums for Medicare to peoples income. There are a goodly number of seniors who are quite successful and would be happy to pay a greater premiums to continue to be free to pick their physician and receive care where they like.
And Congress was totally blatant when they raided the Social Security trust fund (a seperate entity from Medicare). It's that the American people who paid no attention.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-26-2008 12:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shimmering Auro
God willing... when they give the go ahead to begin exploration and drilling in ANWAR, NPRA, and ALL other domestic fields which are currently off limits. ;)

BTW, Obama is the only candidate in favor of opening ANWAR.

It is estimated there is enough oil in one small portion of ANWAR alone to replace what we import from Saudi Arabia ... for *thirty* years or replace *half* of the oil we import from the entire Persian Gulf for *forty* years.

IMO... well, hasn't the time come for America to more toward a more autonomous way of life?

At present we are being held hostage by middle eastern oil. And there's no reason to continue on this way. America *must* solve this issue.

Clearly we *need* relief. We have vast reserves of domestic natural gas and oil just sitting there waiting to be drilled. WHY?

Here's a good article on this issue:

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2008/05/02/72167068

Senator Barack Obama ( Illinois ) – Often cited as one of the top presidential contenders. Barack Obama has voted on the Cantwell Amendment in 2005 to lock ANWR up. He has been opposed to exploration and has rallied with Sen. Clinton in that regard numerous times. Barack states, "I strongly reject drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge because it would irreversibly damage a protected national wildlife refuge without creating sufficient oil supplies to meaningfully affect the global market price or have a discernable impact on U.S. energy security.” In his two and a half years in the Senate he has been part of the introduction of over 100 pieces of “green” legislation from promoting ethanol use to increased car mileage. . By 2020 Obama hopes 20% of all US energy will come from renewable resources. For more information on Obama's energy platform visit: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-26-2008 12:51 PM

Shimmering Auro wrote: Good heavens, PW, your figures regarding ANWAR (and also NPRA) are incredibly off the mark.
Not sure where you are getting your information from. My family and most of our friends work in the Alaskan oil fields. We *know* what's taking place in the North Slope Oil Fields, and know for an absolute *fact* that what the public is being told, opposed to *reality* are two very different stories.

I'm not at liberty to discuss what is taking place up there in the oil fields. But, one thing is for certain, I would not make these claims were they untrue.

It's quite unsettling to know the truth is not being released to the public. The most I will say is, the arctic oil fields are booming like never before. Many, many additional (sparkling) new rigs are in the process of being shipped to the Arctic so they will be up and operational before the end of this year.

As far as the environmental impact of *drilling* for oil and natural gas in the arctic... there is no disputing the *fact* that the presence of rigs and humans has not impacted wildlife. Statistic after statistic proves just the oppisite. This has everything to do with the incredible, and sometimes ridiculous measures taken to protect the tundra.

The unfortunate *truth* is, the people are being extremely mislead about ANWAR and NPRA.

Amazingly (sarcasm) the people are not getting the real story about the absolutely incredible oil fields - right here on American Soil. *Gasp*, imagine that. ;)

I got my info from Industry sources.
http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/769687358.shtml
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/natu ... df/ch3.pdf
http://www.geotimes.org/may01/anwr.html

I am sympathetic that Alaska Native Corporation are panicing and that many Alaskan are dependant on oil revenues, but the cost in environmental and economic costs are simply not worth it, IMO.

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 05-26-2008 03:52 PM

Psychicwolf wrote: I got my info from Industry sources.
http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/769687358.shtml
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/natu ... df/ch3.pdf
http://www.geotimes.org/may01/anwr.html

I am sympathetic that Alaska Native Corporation are panicing and that many Alaskan are dependant on oil revenues, but the cost in environmental and economic costs are simply not worth it, IMO.

1. I meant to type Paul, NOT Obama. That's what I get for postin before I've had my first cup of coffee for the day. :o
Ron Paul supports opening ANWAR. Egg on my face - and sorry for the mistake.

As for economic costs.... another misconception. Opening ANWAR would open up to 700K NEW JOBS.

As for the environmental issues -- I've covered that issue. The MSM would LOVE for the people to believe the oil companies are somehow destroying the environment. There is limitless proof that this is simply NOT the case.

Don't know what your position is on alternative fuel (ETHANOL) -- but do know that it takes MORE energy to extract ETHANOL from corn than the ethanol is worth. Not to mention it is taking FOOD away from starving people --- etc., and so on.

As I've stated many times now, there is an enormous difference between what the people are being told (and expected to believe) and the truth about the environmental impact of north slope drilling.

I suppose some wish to remain slaves to foreign, imported oil. Slaves to Middle Eastern oil. I will never understand why - when we have vast resources of extractable energy sitting untapped on American soil.
Oh well... different strokes for different folks.

Continuing dependence on foreign oil will drive America into the ground. We're on our way to total economic collapse.
I guess some are content with believing the never ending stream of lies coming out of Washington.
That is not directed at you, PW.... simply a statement in general.
Last edited by Shimmering Auro on 05-26-2008 03:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-26-2008 03:57 PM

Shimmering Auro wrote: 1. I meant to type Paul, NOT Obama.
Watch it SA, this is how it starts :D Sorry couldn't help myself and they say we Obama supporters don't have a sense of humor :p

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 05-26-2008 04:08 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Watch it SA, this is how it starts :D Sorry couldn't help myself and they say we Obama supporters don't have a sense of humor :p

I see I'm not the only one with a case of the mini-stupids going today.

Biker:D
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 05-26-2008 04:16 PM

Without my coffee --- I'm a bumbling idiot. Seriously
Drain Bamaged

Not to mention I'd read about some bumbling moron using the words assassination and Obama the same sentence again. Get me outta this freak show...

Things have degenerated into, "He said, she said"... divided party, flip-flopping, nonsensical issues that have absolutely nothing to do with presidential issues.

Still looking at properties in Costa Rica

:cool: :D

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 05-27-2008 04:08 PM

tiffany wrote: Shimmering if the oil fields are booming what are they doing with the oil ...giving it to Japan......just like our lumber and our strawberries. At my pump I see the price going up daily. When will that oil help us out.

tiff, japan helped to fund the pipeline project and gets a large percentage of the produced oil. it's a contractual obligation and we are bound by it.
it would probably shock most people to hear that we import more oil from canada than we do from the saudis. a lot of our oil also comes from mexico.
vigo, here's a link to a website that will give you just about every issue and the candidates stances on them, as well as direct links to quotes.
http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 05-27-2008 06:07 PM

Thanks for the link Laz. :)
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

lazarus long
Pirate

Post by lazarus long » 05-27-2008 06:09 PM

no problem at all. i was there looking at the candidates' stances on the war on drugs.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-27-2008 06:58 PM

lazarus long wrote: the war on drugs.
Ahhhhh yes another bogus war ;)

Return to “Politics and Government 2004-2009”