From Art

Moderator: Super Moderators

Liatris
Pirate

Post by Liatris » 07-21-2007 06:04 AM

Hi Art,

Really nice of you to give us an idea of what to expect regarding how much we may hear from you. Yup, it feels good to know that we'll hear from you more than just a few times a year (I was thinkin' probably only New Years and Ghost to Ghost and one or two fill-ins).

ASIA really is beautiful ! I LOVE that photo of her on your lap looking straight up at you !

BTW, did Edna Pringle know you were retiring ? She got her apology in just in the nick of time !

Before your broadcasting, I almost NEVER listened to the radio. But, one night I did turn the radio on and, scrolling through the stations, I stopped because I heard a man speaking - I didn't even like what he was saying - but I was curious. He sounded like he was quite comfortable on the radio and therefore did not hesitate voicing his strong opinions. In fact, he sounded like someone who was just kicking back at his home and having a good old dialogue with .. with ... nobody - everybody ? The topic was George W's first war. Then next night I found you again and you were talking about something interesting or making reference to something interesting and I thought, "Hmm... what is this man all about ?" Well, the rest is history and though I do not agree with everything you say, I do agree with a lot and I love how witty and quick you are. Some Geminis are witty but seriously stumble over their words and there are others, such as yourself, who are just great at communicating. You are funny ...."Are you talking to me from you bong ?... this is what drugs do to your brain .... and to audio." Hee hee hee !

Art - you really are great to have around - and we'll take 15 times a year. All the best and see you on the airwaves :) .
Last edited by Liatris on 07-21-2007 06:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

bupper1
Pirate

Thanks for the update.

Post by bupper1 » 07-21-2007 09:47 AM

Art in some ways you are my closest friend. It'a a hell of a lot easier to deal with seeing my closest friend 15 times a year rather than never again. Thanks for the update. You made my day.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-21-2007 10:46 AM

Things change, I know we are selfish when it comes to you Art.............the shining light that you are and have been all these years has let millions of us over the years see and given us hope, it will never be extinguished.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-21-2007 11:49 AM

Reading here again, this morning - reflecting on the career of Art Bell -and on all of us.

Glad Art referred to us as his extended family, for this is exactly who we are. Art has that quality, over the air - of communicating directly to each of us - and of drawing all of us into a bond with every other listener.

Every broadcast was a mind blast - and we each are an unintended consequence of that reciprocal energy.

Hope Art and Airyn realize this at some deepest level, and do find a way of keeping in touch with all of us.

I believe Ramona understood this, and memories of her, and our love and admiration for her, will always be a part of this as well.

alleyrulez
Pirate

Re: From Art

Post by alleyrulez » 07-21-2007 02:44 PM

Art Bell wrote: Hi all!

Yes, I have Retired. I will still do 15 shows per Year. Airyn and Asia are doing very well indeed and we are very happy

I hope my extended Family ( all of you)
understand that I simply felt it was time.
Life is very short and I want to spend
the time I have with my Family and my
Hobby.

I have not decided to remain here
in the high Desert or return to Manila,
only time will tell.

At the very least we will make a trip early
next Year to the Philippines so the Family can see Asia.

I will try to keep in touch here from time to time. Thank every last one of you for the support over all these Years.

Art Bell

reading this almost brought tears to my eyes. the fact that he took the time to post this, here, to us, says volumes about Art and the type of person he is.

Galadriel
Pirate

Post by Galadriel » 07-21-2007 03:42 PM

:D :) :D :) :D

What a wonderful thing, to hear from you, dearest Art!

Veronica
A barn in the forest
St. Francisville, LA

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 07-22-2007 01:33 AM

Hi Art! Thank you for thinking of us, and dropping us a line. We do miss you so much, and think of you often. I hope you enjoy your retirement and time with the new family. Please keep in touch from time to time and let us know how things are going. And don't forget pictures! We would love to watch Asia grow. God Bless You, Airyn,and Asia. :)

sasebo63
Pirate

Post by sasebo63 » 07-22-2007 08:32 AM

I first picked up the coast to coast show in 1990; I was working graveyard shift at a power plant in the desert in Bakersfield, California.

The power plant routine is rather long and boring, and one night I decided to go sit in the company truck and turn the radio on, while I was scanning the radio dial I came across this show on the air, and it was about aliens and UFO’s. It was John Lear.

I was captivated by the show, and listened to it, until it ended around 4am I believe. Well I went back to the company truck the following night and tuned into that station again, and there it was again, this guy named Art Bell, but this time I tuned in to hear some guy named Charlie the Liberal. It was funny, Art handled him with finesse.

Well I eventually bought a radio and put it in the control room, and became a avid listener, and the rest is history.

I listened to Art every grave shift all these years, about fifteen or so, but I quit listening every time Art retired, when Art came back then I tuned in again.

I rarely listen to coast to coast anymore.

A huge part of listening to the show was to hear Arts voice, Art has the ability to bring an air of excitement to the listeners,
he is a master at leading and interviewing his guests, and asking the right questions, in fact the same questions that I myself might ask. He is a fantastic listener and is genuinely interested as I am to hear what the guest has to say.

I listened to the show for two reasons, One, was to hear Art himself, and the other was for the shows content. When half of that pie went away, so did I. Art has that laugh, you know, it's contagious.

I do not judge Art, as we all have skeletons in our closets, we all point fingers at a person for having one fault, when we ourselves have ten.
Although I don’t know why he can’t come around and see that 911 was DEFINITELY an inside job, there is no question in my mind after seeing all the facts, he must have his reasons, because Arts no dummy.

Some coast to coast fans are upset with Art, because he never gives notice about his retiring, he just quits, he just says well this is it folks, I'm leaving the air tonight, and he does it in the last two minutes.

You see Art is spontaneous, this is what makes him who he is, and this is what made him so great at the helm of the airwaves.

Did it upset me? Yes, because it's like not being able to get that fix, to get that high. It’s a letdown for sure. Now it is boring again, and all I can hear is the roar of the gas turbine engine and the generators outside the control room, because the radio just sits there, with the power off, and it will stay off as a reminder that the master is gone, Elvis has left the building.

There is no other Art Bell, there never will be, there was only one Johnny Carson, and when Johnny retired, I rarely watched the tonight show anymore.

I watched the tonight show to see Johnny, to watch his antics, he made me laugh, and I am grateful to Johnny, but I rarely watch the tonight show anymore.

Not to take anything away from Jay, but I watched to see Johnny.

This is the same way I feel about Art, I listened to Coast to hear Art, he made my night, he was a familiar voice in the night, he was always there, when I was down, when I was feeling depressed, somehow just tuning into Art at night fixed everything. While driving down that dark stretch of desert highway late at night, I could scan the radio and find Art, and drive until the show was over, then find a motel for the rest of the night.

I made many trips over the years, and while driving down those lonely dark highways late at night and into the wee hours, Art was there with me in that automobile.

I remember when I was stationed in Japan when I was in the military in the 70's. There was time when I got lonely and depressed being there, but every night when I went back to the barracks, and tuned in to Armed forces TV network, I turned the channel on to the tonight show and there was Johnny, and suddenly everything was ok again.

I was back to my center, I was stabilized, and I went to bed at peace.

I am sorry, but I cannot listen to George SNoory, his voice is disengenuine, there's something phony in his voice, and there's no raw spontaneity with those screened calls, he’s flat boring, and just sounds like he doesn’t really care. George is the Jay Leno of radio, he's ok, but he can't capture my heart, Art did that, he captured my heart.

All good things must come to an end, and in this life all we really have is our experiences and memories. I am grateful to Art and he will forever remain in my memories, I can laugh to myself just thinking about Art doing such things as deepening his voice to sound like the devil, when that one caller tried to talk in a deep satanic voice claiming to be the devil, but Arts voice was deeper and scarier. That's funny, Art gave us humor, he gave us sadness, he gave us memories, and he gave us all of those human emotions.

In fact my life was changed by a caller, that said something and that led to something else, and so on, and today I teach a very important subject, and all because I had tuned into Coast to coast that night. Art forgot to hit the mute button and a caller gave out an web address, which led to some great understanding, Then Art said, I don't know why I wasn't able to hit the mute button, I never miss that, that's the first time I let someone get away with giving out a web site address. Well Art you missed that button, because I was supposed to hear it, and I did.

My life is not so shallow, that I cannot make it through the grave shifts without Art, but it sure would be nice to come to work 10:PM Pacific time, flip the radio switch on and sit back in my control room operators chair and hear , good evening all across this great land of ours or wherever you might be, welcome to coast to coast AM, I'm art bell, and have we got a show for you all tonight, hang on we'll be right back, don't touch that dial. Then…..some killer bumper music, that only Art could give us, because he had such great taste in music.

I didn't touch that dial Art, it's still on that frequency, except that the waves are not coming in or out of it any more. The radio just sits there in the widow seal in the control room, un-powered, no familiar lights on the dial, no voice coming out of it. It sits there as a reminder only. Although I would gladly get up out of this operators chair I’m sitting in and flip the switch on, if Art did return, until then, the radio will not get any use, at least not on my watch.

The telephone is ringing, it was the electrical grid dispatcher, he wants me to increase the megawatts to 33, I say what for, what do we need more electricity on the grid for, Art’s not transmitting, his station is down, and we have all turned our radios off, so why the need for the extra megawatts, “he says what”? Never mind, I was just rambling, 33 megawatts coming up, logs it in the logbook, and increases power, I hear the gas turbine roaring louder as the generator loads up. As I increase power, I still can’t help but thinking, why? Who is using all this electricity at midnight. I think that I should be decreasing the megawatts instead of increasing them, maybe since everyone has turned their radios off, it created a load imbalance on the grid, and caused some type of upset or maybe the vars were sucked down to a critical point, and the only way to restore it was increase, instead of decrease. See what you did to the power grid Art? It’s all screwed up now. Now I just got a call to decrease the megawatts back to 22, this has been going on since Art left the air. Very strange.

I believe what is happening is that millions of people switch on their radios to see if Art is back on the air, then all of the sudden they need more power, so the dispatcher calls for an increase, then when these millions of people hear It’s still George Noory, they all turn their radios off, and boom, we’re back to lowering the grid power again, and the grid has been swinging like this for weeks. I believe I recall this grid upset every time Art retired. I’m not joking either.

The power grid here in Bakersfield, runs all the way up central California across into Nevada. Hmm…, this might make a great coast to coast topic. Western power grid fluctuates wildly every night, since Art bell retired from radio, says one operator in Bakersfield, Ca.

This thing is causing me to get my lazy butt out of my comfortable control room chair and walk over to the control panel, and press either the up or down megawatt control buttons every night, it’s getting kind of old.

The high desert will never be the same. It’s a beautiful clear night out tonight, and as I look up to the stars, I see Arts name written in them, and I can even hear his voice still reverberating through the ether as it bounces off of the ionosphere and back down again, forever going into the night, then through the great ELectron gate of Orion past the horse head nebula and past the Seven layers of stars onward into the Dark vastness of deep space. The Tao says: 'When you go into the dark and this becomes total, the darkness soon turns into light.'

Art was that Light in the darkness of the night.

sasebo63
Pirate

Post by sasebo63 » 07-22-2007 08:32 AM

ECHO

There was a girl named Echo and she was a blabber mouth .

The gods were so tired of her chatting away all of the time that they changed her to where she could only repeat things other people said.

She was desperately in love with Narcissus but he wanted nothing to do with her.

So when Narcissus went off to Mt Helicon, Echo followed him there.

Echo would hide in the woods so that Narcissus could not see her.
He just was constantly staring at his own reflection in the water.

Whenever Narcissus would yell out for someone to help him get out of the woods, Echo would reply, the woods the woods.

Finally Echo ran to him and he pushed her away.

He said she was no different then all of the other girls who chased after him and kept saying I love You , I love you.

Echo replied I Love you, I love you.

She went back to the woods and Narcissus just continued to stare at his reflection in the water.

Narcissus began to waste away .

He grew very weak and knew he was dying.

Just before he died, he yelled out Farewell Farewell.

Echo replied from the woods Farewell Farewell.

Finally after a long time, the Gods sent messengers to find Narcissus.

They went to the spot where they knew he had been constantly staring at himself, but instead of finding him they found a lone flower.

The Narcissus became the result of the person, Narcissus constantly looks at him/herself.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY

The beautiful point of the story is that when one separates from the physical realm and spends time looking within oneself, the obsession with physical life gives way to a oneness with nature.

That which is man made, becomes that which is God made.

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO ECHO ?

Echo became lost in the woods and she thus becomes one who will answer whoever calls out to her in those desolate places.

Art, are you there?

Echo replies: From Okinawa, to Makati PI, from Alaska to the High Desert

He is with you in Spirit.

Some people have called Art a crack pot

A water bearer in India had two large pots,
each hung on each end of a pole which he carried across his neck.
One of the pots had a crack in
it, and while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full
portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream to the
master's house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one
and a half pots full of water in his master's house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect to the end
for which it was made.

But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection,
and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had
been made to do. After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter
failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream.

"I am ashamed of myself, and want to apologize to you. "Why?" asked the
bearer. "What are you ashamed of?" "I have been able, for these
past two years, to deliver only half my load because of this crack in
my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your master's
house. Because of my flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you
don't get full value from your efforts," the pot said.

The water bearer felt sorry for the old cracked pot, and in his compassion he said, "As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path." Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old
cracked pot took notice of the sun warming the beautiful wild flowers
on the side of the path, and this cheered it somewhat. But at the end
of the trail, it still felt bad because it had leaked out half its load, and
so again it apologized to the bearer for its failure.

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers
only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because
I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted
flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk
back from the stream, you've watered them. For two years I have
been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my master's
table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this
beauty to grace his house."

The moral of this story:

Each of us has our own unique flaws. We're all cracked pots. In this
world, nothing goes to waste. You may think like the cracked pot that
you are inefficient or useless in certain areas of your life, but
somehow these flaws can turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Kind of makes ya proud of being a cracked pot, doesn't it?

Prometheus stole fire from the gods and gave it to mankind

Art stole the air waves and gave us a good time.

The whole movie (your life) is an object lesson in enslavement by hidden controllers who don't want us to know the reality. They only want us to see shadows of the reality and not the awful truth within the reality.

Coast to coast with Art Bell
Helped us to see that truth and reality, by the various guests he had on.

I recently went in for some dental work, and I happened to mention
Something of interest to my dentist while waiting for x rays.

He said to me , where did you hear that, and I said, on Art Bell last night.

He then said, who’s Art bell?

I said, you never heard of Art bell?

He said no!

There are only three kinds of people in the world

those that make things happen.

those that watch and listen to what happened.

Those that don’t even know what happened.

Art helped us know what happened and what was happening.

Nightwatchman
Last edited by sasebo63 on 07-22-2007 08:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-22-2007 10:22 AM

Welcome sasebo63, what a nice tribute to Art, many of us can relate to your experience as a result of finding Art on the airwaves, thank you for sharing yours.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-22-2007 01:33 PM

Thanks, Sase...I think that post is as therapeutic for you as it is meaningful for us and Art...
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 07-22-2007 02:48 PM

sasebo63...Fantastic post. I look forward to more of your revelations.

:)
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-22-2007 03:30 PM

Thanks Art.

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 07-22-2007 04:14 PM

sasebo63, that was an amazing and beautiful post. Welcome to the ship!!
Anchors Aweigh!

Starry Night
Pirate

Post by Starry Night » 07-22-2007 09:09 PM

It was 10 years ago this summer that I first started listening to Art when WLS in Chicago began carrying C2C and Dreamland. Oh I miss those earlier years, but wish Art well in retirement and very grateful he'll still be around.

Return to “Art Bell Archive”