Talk About Website Availability/Access Issues

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Talk About Website Availability/Access Issues

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2015 05:50 PM

So then folks who've had cases where curiosity gets to you and you find yourself wanting to know more about what's going on with a website you all of a sudden can't get to, whaddyado?

Myself, I'll go to http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com and if it tells me it's just me, I'll try accessing the site in question via http://anonymouse.org/ to see if that's an improvement.

Prior to RA's making mention of Google citing FF2 as down while it was working for me, I'd not known Goog had such a resource available. Unaware of how to access it from Google proper, I found http://webstatsdomain.org/ provides info correlating with what RA reported from Goog.

Interestingly enough, even while Goog/WebStatsDomain stubbornly cites FF2 as down, DFEOJM says it's just me, but obviously it's NOT down for me YET it IS for RA, so what's REALLY going on - Any resident experts here wanna take a stab at it? (Similar to "Stump The Chumps" on Car Talk.)

[Important Disclaimer - In raising the current conundrum as a timely example, no other purpose than to discuss website access/availability concerns IN GENERAL is expressed or implied.]

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-10-2015 06:21 PM

I know what is wrong, the error message it spits out tells you. It is a common misconfiguration.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2015 06:32 PM

Izzit a misconfig on the site side or the user side? Or possibly a combo of both?

Not that it's happening to me with FF2 but I have had the error about redirecting in a way that will never complete happen to me on other sites. Been awhile so I don't 'zactly recall if turning off/deleting cookies helped or if it eventually "fixed itself"...

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2015 06:35 PM

Additionally, could this type of error result in one monitoring service saying the site is up while another reports it as down?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-10-2015 06:39 PM

Riddick wrote: Additionally, could this type of error result in one monitoring service saying the site is up while another reports it as down?

yup. They all use different methods. Trust me, it is a simple thing. If they want to email me at [email protected] I could help them. If they ask nicely. ;)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-10-2015 06:40 PM

Riddick wrote: Izzit a misconfig on the site side or the user side? Or possibly a combo of both?

Not that it's happening to me with FF2 but I have had the error about redirecting in a way that will never complete happen to me on other sites. Been awhile so I don't 'zactly recall if turning off/deleting cookies helped or if it eventually "fixed itself"...

it is server (their) side

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2015 06:55 PM

So even if it's working for me, it may or may not be working for other folks, and may be cited by some services as up yet by others as down, but bottom line the trouble's on the site side. Got it.

That explains it all except for why something like that can be so common, yet doesn't get dealt with despite being a simple thing. Can it really be all too many site managers ARE so incapable?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-11-2015 08:26 AM

Riddick wrote: So even if it's working for me, it may or may not be working for other folks, and may be cited by some services as up yet by others as down, but bottom line the trouble's on the site side. Got it.

That explains it all except for why something like that can be so common, yet doesn't get dealt with despite being a simple thing. Can it really be all too many site managers ARE so incapable?

What I call simple is often completely opaque to others, because I have been doing this a long time. It is like saying something is a simple song on the harp - if you are a harp player. I'm not bragging, this is my day job, so I have to deal with stuff like that every day.

99% of people running forums are non-technical people. They have to ask their webhost if something is not working, and webhosts are notoriously uncaring about the tiny issues their clients may be having.

That is why I am also my own webhoster :)

Return to “FF IT Tech”