Nice discussion here, folks! Lotsa good points all around.
Dunno if I've really got anything germane to add at this point aside from highlighting how...
- 1) Fan, being in the position and acting in the capacity of master of the domain, from his perspective points out the act of trolling is a very specific set of behaviors. Consequently, and rightfully so, drastic intervention should not be decided on or executed willy-nilly.
As an example, as I see it just being chronically challenged about certain aspects of generally accepted social decorum alone doesn't qualify - think Sheldon Cooper from The Big Band Theory - but, overlay that WITH an acute agenda of unpropitiously disrupting the lives of folks unfortunate enough to be in the vicinity, and Mr. Cooper moves into spiteful troll-terror territory BIG time (His roommate Leonard once cautioned their neighbor Penny that Sheldon is just one lab experiment gone awry from being a super-villian);
- 2) HB3 is right when he says the term 'troll' can be very politicized. From what I've seen, such is especially the case when environments evolve in online communities where a preponderance of members (along with the administrative leadership) possess a certain commonly held and strongly felt set of views and beliefs -
Under such conditions and unless otherwise nipped in the bud, those who express differing opinions may then be subject to ongoing accusations involving the term or some in-kind/pejorative variant, serving as an evasive substitute for engagement or discourse on subjects most folks've already made up their minds about;
- 3) Dale astutely observes the FF's present atmosphere is alot more conducive to free and open discussion than in bygone periods. Being a member here for 11 years now (originally under the handle 'Justen Tyme'), I've found cause to take extended leaves of absence from posting here 'n there...
Would you believe the last unbroken interval came up close to TWO FULL YEARS!? due to the toxic undercurrent permeating the board (centered in P&G and emanating from there)
- 4) bobbo is absolutely spot on about how groups can use 'labels' as a weapon, so much as they are often called on as THE selection of choice from the mob's arsenal of derisive coercion (this occurring even as it is so often said that compared to sticks and stones 'names' will never hurt -!)
Now, certainly, in the course of discussion pulling people out of the safety of their own personal 'comfort zones,' as regarding their beliefs about politics, society and humanity as a whole is not without merit and can be beneficial for all sides involved -
OTOH, the complete and utter obliteration of the opponent comfort zone when accomplished principally via negative labeling BY a dominant 'clique,' en masse against the minority merely as a means to pressure conformity to the norm, well, if that AIN'T trolling it surely IS bullying eh?
Descriptions, nomenclature, etc. it can all be a bit of a muddle at times...! In a sense needn't application of any
sort of Internet field guide then come with practical limitations? For instance, a bully CAN be a troll; indeed, many are - but simply being a bully by nature does NOT NECESSARILY mean one is a serial troll, OR does it? Similarly one might find an asshat can be a bully, YET not all natural asshats are perpetual bullies -
Of course, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, you
tell me what you
(A feather in the cap to anyone who can identify the source of that
last bit of literary non sequitur business!)
- In the interest of full disclosure and as an attempt to alleviate any emotional distress or injury as may be felt as a consequence of this topic, please know NO ONE need think I started the thread for their own personal benefit!!
That said, if moving along into the future the well-being of the forum as a whole in any way DOES benefit from what's come from the discussion here thus far and what yet may follow, hey, I'm willing to take at least some of