Tracking Your Every Move

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Tracking Your Every Move

Post by Linnea » 03-26-2011 12:50 PM

...from New York Times
...we are already continually being tracked whether we volunteer to be or not. Cellphone companies do not typically divulge how much information they collect, so Mr. Spitz went to court to find out exactly what his cellphone company, Deutsche Telekom*, knew about his whereabouts.

The results were astounding. In a six-month period — from Aug 31, 2009, to Feb. 28, 2010, Deutsche Telekom had recorded and saved his longitude and latitude coordinates more than 35,000 times. It traced him from a train on the way to Erlangen at the start through to that last night, when he was home in Berlin...
*T-Mobile

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/busin ... ivacy.html

ah...

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-26-2011 02:32 PM

Lemmee guess........we're all being tracked because (a) we're all in imminent danger of being kidnapped, thrust into a car trank, and cel phone use wil be our only salvation (b) we're all potential terrorists or drug dealers, and therefore are suspected of criminal activity, or (c) it's a mater of "national security" and none of our business............

Mindrealm
Pirate

Post by Mindrealm » 03-26-2011 07:35 PM

..........or (d) there are doing a multiple level survey to determine new product implementation. I think that although nefarious objectives are possible, it is equally possible that in a new-er technological age that there are companies who are trying to think up new improved products and services based on our actions from a macro perspective.

I recall the days when time analysis people observed the workplace to access strengths and weaknesses to enhance efficiency resulting in better margins, just a different way of thinking about this "invasion of privacy" in a different time. It occurs to me that so much these days has become a double edged sword.

I believe it was Farnsworth and someone else who developed the ability in the late 1920's and early 1930's of radio finding a way to determine the effectiveness of their broadcasting...without it, stations would not have been able to sell advertising and get the much needed revenue to build an industry..thus putting people to work.

So, while not denying the basis of concern over this tracking, in a greater general sense I believe we are merely witnessing that which in greater numbers represents the future...the service industry...which in turn dictates the manufacturing (little in America albeit) done in the world. I am thinking that just as "just in time" logistics are now the norm...the same is true of the other side of the equation. This is the child or grandchild of early time analysis.

Especially so in a "new normal". It sounds kinda funny to say this...but the first time an early caveman was asked when he would be back...he probably didnt appreciate the intrusion...lol ;)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 03-26-2011 07:44 PM

My (and I am sure, many other privacy advocate's) concerns would be soothed if participation were (a) voluntary, (b) records of searches easily retrieveable - without recourse to the courts, and (c) if the records were not so easily handed over to law enforcement.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-27-2011 02:40 AM

One reason I DONT HAVE A CALL PHONE!!!!!

My life IS NOT AN OPEN BOOK!! (And i want it to stay that way)

Return to “FF IT Tech”