Glad to Be Back!

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Glad to Be Back!

Post by Psychicwolf » 11-10-2010 01:17 PM

WOW!
So, I am the queen (as much as able) of internet security. I subscribe to a security service, have complicated passwords on all sensitive sites, never open links in my emails, etc, etc.

Last Thurday night I was attacked with some kind of virus/malware that went wild in my computer.:eek: Fortunately it looks like it did no damage financially (I am monitoring my accts) but I shut down the internet and didn't venture on till last evening when I reset passwords on all accts.:mad:

It overwhelmed my internet security...by the time I realized what was happening (pretty quickly since popups where multiplying like crazy, and I have popups blocked), McAfee had quarantined 40,000 files!!!!

What was I doing when it happened? Window shopping on the 'net.:D I am in the market for a corner bookcase and was tootling around looking, hit the biggies, then went to a small online retailer and BOOM, the site must have been infected. I didn't even purchase anything there, I was just browsing.

The Geek Squad sent a kid out yesterday AM. It took him 4.5 hours to rid my machine of that damn thing...it was even in the registry. He called it a DMR?BMR? virus...whatever that is?

Anyway, it good to be back!:D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 11-10-2010 01:19 PM

Hey PW nice to see you again ! Sorry to hear you had such problems :( Becareful the Internet is full of bugs :rolleyes:

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-10-2010 01:26 PM

Glad you're back!!!!!:D

You know, while on the subject, I've had the same issue occur to me while on this same site on my home computer. I am running McAfee, updating constantly, running AOL on dial-up (yes, I know.......):rolleyes:

Sometimes, doesn't happen all the time, I will attempt to exit the sit and the BLAM!!! all kinds of Internet Explorer pop-ups flood my screen.

After shutting down the system and rebooting, I rebot, run McAfee and everything's fine.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?:confused:

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-10-2010 01:59 PM

Sorry you had internet problems but it is great to have you back on ship, Psychicwolf. :)
racehorse

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 11-10-2010 02:00 PM

Thanks for the greetings!

I don't know if what you're describing, kbot, is virus related. Megman or Linnea could probably advise you though. I am the furthest thing from a techie you can imagine. I just knew when all those popups appeared on my screen that something was WAY out of wack.

I am glad they were able to fix it and hope never to have a scare like that again.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 11-10-2010 02:01 PM

I guess for the rest of our lives it's going to be like real viruses: an endless battle between the bug and immunity. We all have anti-viral software now, know not to go to creepy sites or open weird E-mails, and it seemed like there was kind of a lull for awhile. Now it appears they are launching new strikes. I got an invitation on Facebook from someone who really is a friend with a title like "Woman crashes at 1 pm tomorrow. Join us!" Aside from the odd title, NOTHING about it was suspicious. By the grace of God, this friend happens to work down the hall so I was able to ask her about it before opening it, and she knew nothing about it. Two days later her computer went down for the count, and it also took many hours to get rid of the virus. She'd opened this invitation days earlier without remembering that she'd done it, which is how it got into her hard drive and sent to her FB friends. But again, it looked like the real thing, even showing up in your "Events" list on your profile page.

So, now it's immunity's turn to come up with better defenses. Sometimes you gotta wonder why the world is the way it is. Reminds me of the crop-circle hoaxters. Why is it fun to do this sort of thing?
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-10-2010 02:02 PM

Oh, Jeez! PW. Was wondering where you had got to! Glad all ended well. The protections you had in place held - even tho' it took a while to get everything safely back up. Thank goodness for that!

Nice to see you back. Hell's a poppin.

;)

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-10-2010 02:43 PM

Glad to hear you got it cleaned out.

There's lots of nasty and annoying stuff out there. Stuff is now embedded in pictures and web pages. Sometimes all it takes is visiting a legit site.

Case in point. I have a weather site I frequent and my virus program blocked an attack. It wasn't the site itself but one of their advert's on the site. I tracked it, reported it and it was consequential taken down.

Norton I don't care for as it takes over everything and McAfee I'm leery of. I've been running Fix-it Utilities for almost 10 yrs and (knock on wood) I've yet to get anything. It always immediately blocks and quarantines anything trying to get through.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 12-29-2010 06:13 PM

Hey PW where ya hiding ?

Return to “FF IT Tech”