Question on DVD Recreation

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Question on DVD Recreation

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 12-12-2005 06:08 PM

I have a DVD which was loaned to me, and thought I would copy it. The easiest way would be to just play it and re-record it on my desktop editor. But then I put the DVD into DVD burner of my editor and looked at it.

There are (2) folders, one called AUDIO_TS, and one called VIDEO_TS. There is no data in the AUDIO_TS folder. In the VIDEO_TS folder are the following files:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

And, damn if I can't copy them off the DVD disc to the hard drive. But here's the rub.

When I use any of the normal program I use in editing, nothing recognizes these files. If I use WinDVD Creator, instead of creating a DVD that can be Viewed, it creates a data disc, cloning the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders with data in them.

So, I'm confused. First time for everything. ;)

Anyone know how to clone a disc or at least take what I copied to the drive and burn a viewable disc?
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 12-14-2005 12:30 PM

Fred,

Try a little Freeware Program called DVD Shrink, it copies any DVD to a DVD-R, or to your HD.

A friend brought it to my attention a few months ago. The only time I used it I copied the full DVD to my HD then burned it to a DVD-R. It missed one file (likely my own error) which I had to manually copy over, but other then that it worked great and kept the full video quality.

Give it a shot: DVD Shrink
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 12-14-2005 03:00 PM

Fred, I think you are a linux user...

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/fred/dvd-image.iso

(make sure you have enough room for this, could be up to 8GB)

at this point you have an exact copy of the disk, in a familiar format you can burn using k3b or nero or whatever.

In windows, look for cloneCD, alcohol120% or the fine program TAB mentioned (which does not clone the CD, and you may lose some stuff)...

to make Divx or Xvid copies, look at AutoGK (w32).

The VOB files can be played directly using mplayer (linux) or powerDVD (w32)
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you...

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 12-16-2005 03:40 PM

SvladC...that was SETICruncher. You said TAB:D

I've never used anything to copy DVDs yet. I usually just download TV shows (X-files, Charmed, Sopranos)...shhh;) and watch them on my computer and then delete them. I don't have a DVD burner so I didn't chime in. I have heard of all the programs mentioned. Alcohol120% is also great for copying games to your hard drive and then using the same program to mount them so you never need to use the CD again. Great for preserving the original!

I like SvladC's way of getting the job done. Sounds simple enough.

Return to “FF IT Tech”