MP3 Players and Battery Life

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

MP3 Players and Battery Life

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-09-2005 09:35 PM

I recently broke down and finally bought an MP3 Player after thinking about it for some time. Thinking it would save me a pile of money in the long run, I bought one with a built in rechargeable battery. I'm a little dissapointed that I'm only getting about 6 1/2 hours of play time out of it per charge, I had anticipated 8 - 9 hours of play time.

What experiences have others on this board had with these little devices? and what is the standard play time on an MP3 Player whether its batteries are built in or disposable?
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 09-10-2005 10:14 AM

daughter has one the uses sd cards and removable AAA battery, mine uses removable AA barreries. nimh or lion batteries do cost a bunch more than regular alkalines, but in the long run, well, my AA's are over a year old and only run about 5 hours now. They ran for 8 when new.

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 09-10-2005 10:48 AM

Gotrox wrote: ...... but in the long run, well, my AA's are over a year old and only run about 5 hours now. They ran for 8 when new.

That's usually caused by battery memory, where the battery only discharges down slightly before being recharged. Sometimes you can correct it by fully discharging the batteries then recharging, but sometimes the only thing you can do is replace them.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-10-2005 11:29 AM

Thanks for the replies, so it seems 5 - 8 hours of play time is the norm? Then I guess I shouldn't complain about getting 6 1/2 hours of play time, as that appears to be middle of the road.

Again thanks for the input guys, this is my first foray into MP3 players so its still a bit new.

You Pirates are great!

SC
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 09-10-2005 10:22 PM

i've had a few mp3 players and i tried to get ones that used aa size batteries because i had purchase 50 aa nimh rechargeables at a buck each on ebay, they go for 4 bucks per battery at best buy.

a few months ago i got a rave mp3 250mg player and it uses a single aaa battery that lasts about 12 hours but the sound and quality on these are really bad so avoid these because i saw them going for 19 bucks last week only because they suck so much.

i used my audio cassette adaptor that goes into my car audio cassette player and the stereo jack goes into my mp3 player so i can listen to them in the car or, use my portable dvd player to pipe the sound through my car's audio system.

andy

Return to “FF IT Tech”