.gif recognition has gone bye-bye...

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

SetiCruncher
Pirate

.gif recognition has gone bye-bye...

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-04-2005 11:59 PM

** Alright I set down my mug of Grog, straighten my self up and approach my fellow Pirates with a perplexing techinical issue: **

My Computers .Gif recognition has died...

For some Reason my computer doesn't recognize .gif files anymore.

Any Gif's I encounter online or have E-mailed to me although my computer will animate them in their origional display form any attempt to save them or transfer them to a directory on my system, results in the computer only seeing them as a .bmp file type not a .gif

I haven't knowingly changed any settings in my system, any idea's on what happened and why a system that once had no problem recognizing .gif's now seems to think they are all .bmp's? How do I fix this little techical snafu?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

** Shrugs and shakes head in bewilderment then sits back down to immerse my frustration in drink, and thinks "I love Grog!!!" **
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 09-05-2005 12:17 AM

I don't know if you've already tried a restart or now but that will sometimes clear up weird problems. What happens when you right click on the file and select Open with?

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-05-2005 01:08 AM

Thanks for the reply Dale,

A restart doesn't fix the problem. The Process is defeated before I can even use the Open with option, for example if I was to click on your Avatar and click "Save As" my computer for some unknown reason only sees it as a .bmp file and not as a .gif so although it would still save the file it would lose the animation.

This is a new development and only started a week or so ago and to my knowledge I haven't changed any system settings or anything.

Needless to say I'm a bit baffled here. :confused:

Now where did that Grog go?
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 09-05-2005 10:51 AM

I just answered this 1 hour ago on another forum!
This is an old problem, I have seen it many times. You can look here for consolation
Quote:
For whatever reason (perf, architectural simplicity, I dunno) the designers of mshtml decided to keep images around in memory as BMPs. When you go to save an image in IE, the first thing we do is check to see if the image is in the cache. If the image is not in the cache, the only representation we have of the image (without downloading it again) is mshtml's internal representation, which is a BMP. Mostly people see this when their cache is full. The easiest way to fix this is to clear your cache. Another symptom of this is nothing happens when you View->Source on a web page.
So, as usual, the problem is your browser and email client. I humbly suggest firefox and thunderbird
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you...

SetiCruncher
Pirate

Post by SetiCruncher » 09-05-2005 11:06 AM

LOL now don't I feel stupid.

Something SO simple

SvladCjelli, You are the Man!!!!

Many Thanks my friend!

Now I'm going to go hide and wallow in embarrassment :)
Veritas, Aequitas, Fides

Return to “FF IT Tech”