FireFox tweaks, extensions, etc.

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

FireFox tweaks, extensions, etc.

Post by TABwebmaster » 08-31-2005 12:45 AM

Starting a new thread for these. There are quite a few. Dale, I think, uses several good ones and I'm sure will share.

My first contribution:
http://fusion94.org/archives/2005/07/fi ... emory.html
--fixes a "memory leak" in FireFox where FireFox doesn't dump the cache and eventually (after being open for quite a while) will bog down the system if you don't have at least a gig of memory installed.

Pam Heinze
Pirate

Post by Pam Heinze » 08-31-2005 09:43 PM

Say, that looks good. I'll have to try it out.

Could this have anything to do with FireFox not playing nice with Adobe Reader?

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Re: FireFox tweaks, extensions, etc.

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-31-2005 10:19 PM

TABwebmaster wrote: Starting a new thread for these. There are quite a few. Dale, I think, uses several good ones and I'm sure will share.

My first contribution:
http://fusion94.org/archives/2005/07/fi ... emory.html
--fixes a "memory leak" in FireFox where FireFox doesn't dump the cache and eventually (after being open for quite a while) will bog down the system if you don't have at least a gig of memory installed.

Where did you find this, Mark!? :cool: I've been looking for something for weeks now to fix Firefox RAM hogging. Thanks!

I found this - Firetune and it actually works. It speeds up browsing quite a bit and the load-time some. It's worth the 20 seconds effort to install it, heh.

BTW, my favorite extensions are Adblock, Spellbound, BBCode, Smiley xtra, MediaPlayerConnectivity, Remove It Permanantly, Cookie Culler and Mouse Gestures. I have more than that installed but these are the ones I always reinstall first - which I haven't had to do in months.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 09-01-2005 04:12 AM

Not sure but it looks like it has reduced the RAM being used. I found that at digg.com

I'm going to try that one you mentioned Dale.

Not sure, Pam. I haven't had any problems with Adobe and FireFox not getting along.

Return to “FF IT Tech”