paypal problem

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

palosheights
Pirate

paypal problem

Post by palosheights » 08-23-2005 11:24 AM

just got an email from paypal that i've added a new paypal email address to my account. i haven't used my paypal account for a couple of years now after reading how paypal was wiping out alot of checking accounts with no recourse whatsoever.

i asked my daughter if she had added an email address to paypal and she said no but she added that she had the same problem with paypal account and so did a friend of hers. i wonder what's going on here and if i should reply to to email to inform paypal of the error or is this just a trojan horse thingy?

here's the email i got:

You have added [email protected] as a new email address for your PayPal account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance
with your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

https://www.paypal.com/us/wf/f=ap_email

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

andy

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 08-23-2005 12:02 PM

WHOA!! Be very careful with those E-mails. Most are Phishing E-mails, by scammers trying to get your information. If you received an E-mail with a link in it, clicked on it, and filled in your Pay Pal information ... some scammer has access to your account.

Log into Pay Pal as quick as possible, change your password, then let them know about it.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 08-23-2005 12:15 PM

Yeah, I get those all the time too.

If you mouse over the link they provide, then look carefully at what the link actually links to, you can see a slight alteration of the address.

Always go to Paypal, ebay, whatever, directly, never through links in an email.

Hope you didn't!

And, you can forward the email to Paypal for forensic purposes, although I wonder if they really do anything about it.

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 08-23-2005 12:25 PM

dotcosm wrote: And, you can forward the email to Paypal for forensic purposes, although I wonder if they really do anything about it.

I've never known them to do anything with them other than send you back "the generic reply". Most come from Asia or the old Soviet Republics anyway.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-23-2005 12:26 PM

This happens to me on a regular basis. It is just another phish scam. Excellent words of wisdom already given here.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 08-23-2005 05:45 PM

PayPal will never send you an e-mail asking for anything...nor will eBay.

The first thing to do when you get an e-mail that "looks" genuine is to go to http://www.paypal.com and http://www.ebay.com and log in. If there are any messages for you they will be there...not in your e-mail inbox.

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 08-24-2005 08:42 AM

if you do a bunch of ebaying, use the ebay toolbar___ it will warn you if sites you goto are not genuine ebay or paypal sites , and a quick click reports them.

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-24-2005 09:11 AM

thanks everyone, i was 99.9 pct sure it was spam but it did look good. just think of all the people who do reply to these spams.

yep, did notice all those extra characters at the end of the email address which did get me suspicious.

one thing though when i went to paypal i looked up my past purchases from 2001 and it's a good reference to what you bought and how much it did cost at that time. like i said, i don't use paypal anymore because of all the thousands of people who got screwed using paypal with no recourse whatsoever because like noted above you can never talk to a real person.

andy

Return to “FF IT Tech”