Totally anonymous file swapping in time for xmas

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Totally anonymous file swapping in time for xmas

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-03-2005 05:26 PM

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - Software enabling people to anonymously swap music and other files on the Internet could be commonly available by year's end, the head of the Freenet Project said.

A test version of the "darknet" software for engineers was made available for download at the Freenet website Wednesday morning, Ian Clarke of the project told AFP.

The software is intended to allow computer users worldwide to remain anonymous while communicating online data in a way that hides them from industry investigators and others, Clarke said.

Music recording industry goliaths have fought to crush renegade file sharing, which they claim fosters illegal swapping of copyrighted material by musicians.

"We've devised a way you can have a darknet with potentially millions of users," Clarke said. "We hope we will have something suitable for launch this side of Christmas."

Music studios won a recent US Supreme Court ruling that said online services that aid illicit file swapping are responsible accomplices in what amounts to theft.

Clarke said that Freenet is altruistically advancing technology and defending democratic ideals of unrestrained communication.

"Our goal has never been to encourage copyright infringement, however, you cannot have freedom of communication and protect copyright laws," he continued. "The two are mutually exclusive."

LINK

Post by Guest » 08-03-2005 05:35 PM

Great. That just means more deceptive anti-piracy ads before the movie featuring a gaffer named Dan telling us how piracy affects his paycheck and the ability to pay for medical bills for his daughter Sara.:rolleyes:

Post by Guest » 08-03-2005 05:36 PM

I thought the BitTorrent application already had that?

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-03-2005 10:23 PM

i had more than 3 times more spending money for entertainment than i did 40 years ago and i was only making us 1.80 per hour because of taxes, fines, fees, riaa ripoff, mpaa outrageous pricing etc etc etc than today. how far and how hard can they squeeze a rock

andy

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 08-03-2005 11:56 PM

wow
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-04-2005 10:27 AM

Pink Tangerine wrote: I thought the BitTorrent application already had that?

When you're downloading with a bittorrent client you can see all your peers IP#s and they can see yours. From what I understand there is no real privacy on the 'net. Your PC ahs to be signed in with an ISP to get online. They know who and where we are. I'm sure 'they' will be inside the Darknet before the champagne corks are popping on New Years Eve..

Return to “FF IT Tech”