Web Spell-checkers

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-29-2005 02:02 PM

Dale, Tab thanks for Modding this thread.

How do you put a spell checker up to use when posting here. Can't be complicated cuz I'm no geek!;)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 02:44 PM

Hi tiff. And thanks for starting this discussion and a new thread. ;)

That depends on what browser you use unless you want a stand-alone program like ISpell - not to be confused with IESpell, the Internet Explorer browser spell-checker.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 03:23 PM

tiffany wrote: Dale, Tab thanks for Modding this thread.

How do you put a spell checker up to use when posting here. Can't be complicated cuz I'm no geek!;)
I'm going to assume you use Internet Explorer and say you need to getthe IESpell plugin. It's very non-complicated to install. Just download it, and follow the instructions (see below) on that page.
IESpell Installation instructions:

* Click on the download link above.
* Choose "Open this file from its current location" and click on the "OK" button when prompted.
* When the installation has completed, restart your browser (if its open) and you should find a new menu item called "ieSpell" under the "Tools" menu, as well as a new icon on your toolbar. Note that the toolbar icon will only appear if you have not customized your toolbar before. If you have customized your toolbar before, you will have to manually select the icon in the "Customize Toolbar" dialog.
* For existing users, you do not have to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

Usage instructions:

* If you are using Internet Explorer, you can access ieSpell in one of the following three ways:
o Under the "Tools" menu, click on "ieSpell" item to start the spelling check or click on the "ieSpell Options" to configure ieSpell.
o Click on the ieSpell toolbar button (if enabled) to activate the spelling check.
o Right click in the browser and in the menu that appears, click on the "ieSpell" item to start the spelling check or click on the "ieSpell Options" to configure ieSpell.

* If you are using a browser based on the IE engine (e.g. AOL, MSN, NetCaptor, NeoPlanet, etc), then only the last option (i.e. using the right-click menu) is available to you
If you are using Firefox or Mozilla I recommend Spellbound. It's a little more complicated to install but not much. You just have to download the dictionary for it and install that too.

Opera is a very simple install also. About like IE was. I can find that too if you need it. It is a very kewl browser..even has a plugin that will read the pages to you, heh. :cool:

I mentioned ISpell at the beginning of this. It's pretty kewl too and has nothing to do with your browser. It runs in the background and checks every keystroke you type as you type it and also checks docs..

There's more out there and they're mostly all freeware. Just google.

Hope this helps..
:)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-29-2005 06:02 PM

If you have Word (or some other word processor with a spellchecker) you can always just type your post in Word and spellcheck it there, then copy and paste it into the reply window on FF. I do that sometimes if I'm posting something long and/or typing in a quote from a book. That way, I won't lose my post if something screws up and sends it into cyber limboland, either. ;) I'm not really addressing the topic, I guess, but in lieu of a spellchecker add-on, that works (providing you have a word processor proggie with a spellchecker).
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 06:14 PM

I use Firefox and since i made the switch from IE I rarely lose anything to the Internet void anymore.. If the posts is refused or connection is lost I just go back a page and it's all still there..usually, heh. But yes, that's a good solution too. My pet peeve about that is that if you leave the formatting that the word processor adds to the document, when you paste it in the browser that formatting comes with it and your indents, line feeds and paragraphs may be all messed up. It makes it hard to read sometimes. maryals and her old imac used to do that all the time too but I think it was her browser..

But thanks for the alternative tip.. :)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-29-2005 06:14 PM

Thanks Dale and Joolz great information....what a helpful group.;)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-29-2005 10:28 PM

Dale OSea wrote: My pet peeve about that is that if you leave the formatting that the word processor adds to the document, when you paste it in the browser that formatting comes with it and your indents, line feeds and paragraphs may be all messed up. It makes it hard to read sometimes.

But thanks for the alternative tip.. :)

Hmmm... I've not had that problem, but I'm using Word 2002, and I make sure I type it in and format it just as I would in FF. And yer welcome for the tip. ;) You, too, Tiff. I hope it helps someone.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-30-2005 08:53 PM

I just right click on my text and iespell pops right up, just click on check spelling.

romeshomey
Pirate

Post by romeshomey » 07-30-2005 08:57 PM

There is an actual hack for these vbulletin forums where it places a spell checker as an option when posting.

Send the admin a PM and see if they would be willing to add it. I use it on my forums.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-30-2005 11:58 PM

That's what I was thinking...there's probably an option to spell-check before you post already here (maybe it's just not on by default?)

Linnea, if you want, I can look into it. Just need you to send me an e-mail tabweb at gmail.com

Return to “FF IT Tech”