Window's Vista on the Horizon

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Window's Vista on the Horizon

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 04:10 AM

Microsoft is busily trying to get their new operating system, the XP replacement, ready for release sometime after July 2006. Windows Vista (formerly Longhorn) will be the first big change since XP was first released in 2001. Here are some articles about this:
Microsoft has released Windows Vista Beta 1 (formerly known as Windows Longhorn) to a select group of testers. Microsoft's mantra (or advertising line) for Windows Vista is "Confidence, clarity, and connection." For you and me, that means a promise of greater stability and security within the OS, better graphics throughout, and an enhanced ability to share documents and files, including built-in P2P services. The Beta 1 build is a programmers' build, that is, Microsoft wants to make sure that developers know how the new OS works before they put the finishing touches on the overall look and feel of Windows Vista. A second beta is expected by the end of 2005. Final shipping of the new Windows operating system won't occur until the second half of 2006.

Full CNET.com review
tomshardware.com
July 27, 2005 - 17:25 EST

Redmond (WA) - In an exclusive interview with Tom's Hardware Guide this afternoon, Microsoft's lead product manager for Windows Client operating systems, Greg Sullivan, revealed the company is working on a new "metadata" filing system that will be the focus of Vista's new "virtual folders" model.

In the wake of Microsoft's release, at 10:00 a.m. West Coast time this morning, of Windows Vista Beta 1 to selected and subscribing participants in its testing program, Sullivan introduced us to the new Document Explorer. While replete with new textures and animations, the replacement for Windows XP's "My Computer" will also be utilizing "rich metadata," generated by applications such as the company's forthcoming Office 12 suite. Like the metadata used by XHTML Web pages to help search engines categorize them in their semantic databases for the entire Internet, Vista's new system will employ similar metadata for document files, that is shared with local databases. This way, virtual folders can be set up to display documents based on their contents and their common attributes, not just their filenames.

Full TomsHardware.com article
More Vista links:

Microsoft's Vista web site

C/NET.com's screenshots

JoeUser.com Review

Quite the buzz about this - what do you pirates think? XP was hyped more than this, and it was a mess about 3 months out the gate. Will Linux be ready for prime-time by then? Will Tiger take over when the Intel chips are implemented?

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-29-2005 06:53 AM

I've never been an XP fan. For the computers I have that need Windows, I've stuck with Win2K.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 10:59 AM

2000 is an excellent OS. It's pretty much the heart of XP, without all the shiny. I know of a few geeks that still use 2000. Hell, there's a ton of folks that still use 98. But it's not nearly as secure as 2k..

I just wonder why it's taking them so long to do it.. they've been at the drawing board with longhorn for nearly 5 years. I guess all those XP and IE patches were taking them away from that drawing board.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 07-29-2005 11:24 AM

Maybe the Vista platform is being built with Tesla technology. Took them a while to get it right.

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 07-29-2005 12:05 PM

i think the main problem of releasing a new os is due to the holes they find in the new os. for every one new advancement in the os they find a dozen or more bugs, it's like fixing a hole in a dam.

remember the days when they could make a really good program or game that was under one meg? well bloating came along and now they everything into a new os along with the kitchen sink.

andy

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 12:09 PM

I've heard they 'borrowed' their tech..but not from Tesla..

Here's a screen shot of Vista running the browser it's bundled with, IE7, shown alongside Firefox. Look familiar?

Pennylane005
Pirate

Post by Pennylane005 » 07-29-2005 01:55 PM

Oh no! An XP update! We're screwed!

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-29-2005 05:03 PM

Don't look for all the bugs to be resolved till at least mid summer 2006. And IE7 sees addons as security threats, so no google,yahoo, or other toolbar, spell check etc.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-29-2005 05:12 PM

Dale OSea wrote: I've heard they 'borrowed' their tech..but not from Tesla..

Here's a screen shot of Vista running the browser it's bundled with, IE7, shown alongside Firefox. Look familiar?
Well, at least the Start button isn't lime green. That's prolly minor to most, but still a plus, IMO. ;) I HATE that big green bug button so much I run XP in classic mode so I don't have to look at it!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 07-29-2005 08:33 PM

I keep getting an access denied message when I try to see the screen shot.....:confused:

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-29-2005 10:30 PM

sayntbrigid wrote: I keep getting an access denied message when I try to see the screen shot.....:confused:

Try clicking on the link in the "access denied" page. I did that, and then it loaded.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-29-2005 11:22 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/b ... fault.mspx

Great...more lies from Micro$oft...well, I guess I shouldn't judge before I actually see it but come on...reliable? More secure? I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm using Windows XP and (thanks to Everette Dobbins) Mepis Linux. I love that Windows XP has lasted as long as it has without giving me too much trouble...I've only had to reinstall a couple times. :D

I won't be upgrading anything on the Windows side for at least a year and a half to two years. It's not worth the hassle.

I usually let things settle down and most of the major bugs get worked out before I install something (Except BOINC, of course heh);)

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-30-2005 07:19 AM

I was an "unofficial" beta tester for xp, but I think I'll wait this one out. Unkkl Billy is getting mighty comfy with the Govt, and I think I'll wait till the backdoors get all found and workarounds are available.
Take this "Gin-U-Whine Advantage" fer instance. :eek:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-30-2005 10:10 AM

GUYS/GALS -- been working on computers since the "good ole days" punch cards --
On the weekends there are some live chats - plus mp or other feeds so you can listen and chat. THey update us on new products, problems with puters, virii, trojans and general computer discussions. One of them on Sat go to KSFO website - see O'Donnell -- on irc its galaxynet server - channel is #everythingtechnology, on Sundays its the OnComputer show -- through chat.mindprobes.net - channel #oncomputers - both are noon-three pm central time. Leo LaPorte also has an irc chat and audio on weekends as well.
The new update on XP might cause problems with your puter.. yup very true.
AVG - grisof free ware - just use AVG in search engines - is and has proven to be excellent in protecting your puter and your email. will check back in later....

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-30-2005 12:23 PM

I will remain a Mac user until the very end.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Return to “FF IT Tech”