Dale OSea's Fantastic Web Treasures

Internet, computing and anything electronic and tech related discussed here

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Dale OSea's Fantastic Web Treasures

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 12:08 AM

You won't need a map to find this Internet booty, just a little time and your favorite web browser. Image

I'm going to be posting some of my favorite web sites and Internet finds in here for all you pirates surfing for treasure.

This first entry is a real gem. It's called digg.com and it combines social bookmarking, tech news, rss, blogging and more. On digg.com "users submit stories for review, but rather than allow an editor to decide which stories go on the homepage, the users do.

Once a story is submitted by a user it is instantly posted in the digg area queue. This is a temporary holding place where stories wait to be promoted to the homepage. To help promote stories to the homepage, simply visit the digg area and digg stories you think are cool. Once a story has received enough diggs, it is instantly promoted. Should the story not receive enough diggs, or is reported, it eventually falls out of the digg area queue. Digg works because a large group of people actively promote good stories to the homepage. Since this site's content is user-driven, it is up to YOU to contribute" From digg.com faqs

This is mostly Kevin Rose's baby. Those familiar with Leo Laporte's old-ish TechTV show The Screensavers will remember him from there. He just started the site a couple of months ago and it is taking off like a rocket. Him and Alex Albrecht do one of my favorite podcasts based on digg.com called diggnation and they must be doing something right because they are being featured in a story on the podcasting phenomenon by ABC News.They aren't sure when it will air.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

The Fall Guys

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 02:21 AM

Here's a fun one..

Just pick a Dummy and give it a toss.
If it get stuck, toss it again.
A little creepy - a lot funny. :D

The Fall Guys

edit-link deactivated due to change in content..they started using nekid dummies..anatomically correct ones. -Dale

sayntbrigid
Pirate

Post by sayntbrigid » 07-29-2005 05:12 AM

There must be something wrong with me.......ROFLMAO at Dubya :D

I especially like getting him unstuck by giving him a good swing out.......LOL

PS: me thinks it would make a great desktop..:cool: :D

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 10:40 AM

Yes SB, it would be make a fun desktop. I don't know if you can get Flash elements to run as a desktop item but I bet you can.

Sorry folks, I'm going to have to take that Fall guys link out. This is brand new and I guess they added one today and it's not appropriate for here.. PM me if you want the link..Sorry about that - you never know what the 'net has in store for you..
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 07-29-2005 12:12 PM

i was just thinking about something similiar to this last week regarding the ff, i was wondering how many great sites i visit on a regular basis because they were mentioned on ff. one is the listen to links, another is the phil hendrie show and rense etc etc.

now i know where to look for all the coolest and latest sites.

andy

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-29-2005 01:56 PM

Thanks andy. I'll see if I can find another one to make up for the one I had to take down.. But that's a good lesson - the internet is a dynamic monster - changing all the time. If anyone else ever has problems with the content of my links here please let me know. We're all grown-ups here, for the most part so no harm, no foul.

nitegh0st1111 at gmail.com - o is a zero, remove the spaces and replace the at with @...gmail works better than my PMs as I am notified when mail hits my inbox within five minutes if I'm at my PC

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-29-2005 11:00 PM

Rather than start a new thread with my favorite sites, I'll just post them in here...that way they are all grouped.

As Dale mentioned Digg, I'll mention TWiT (This Week in Tech) which Dale told me about when it started. It is hosted by former hosts of The Screensavers on TechTV: Patrick Norton, Leo LaPort, Kevin Rose, Yoshi DeHerrera, Robert Heron, John C. Dvorak, Roger Chang, et. al. One of the best podcasts out there. They're only up to Episode 15 (one episode per week...about an hour long) so it shouldn't take anyone long to catch up.

Leo LaPort also does a show at KFI AM 640 every Saturday and Sunday called The Tech Guy which also has podcasts available going back quite a while so it will definitely take a while to catch up on this one. I think he's up to show 155. He basically takes calls and answers tech-related questions for newbies and pros alike.

Kevin Rose has a couple of great things going besides Diggnation. He also has Systm where he walks through the building of something cool on each episode. He has two episodes up as of today. He also has a blog which gives links to the diggnation podcast as well as some of the most dug news from digg.com at: http://krose.typepad.com/kevinrose/2005 ... st_00.html

Yoshi DeHerrera, Robert Heron, and a few others have put together FTS (From The Shadows) which goes into hacking a bit and a few other cool things. So far they have four episodes available. Check out the Stashbox for the episode list and download links.

Well, that's a few to get you started.;)

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 07-30-2005 09:18 PM

i have 3 different mp3 players, compact flasth/sd etc, used them for player mp3's and some c2c programs, can i copy podcasts on to my compact flash card to listen to them on my mp3 players the same way?

thanks

andy

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-30-2005 11:52 PM

palosheights, here's a discussion...I have never used Compact Flash so I'm not sure if that conversation will solve your problem.
http://geekswithblogs.net/blair.leduc/a ... 13359.aspx

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-31-2005 12:01 AM

palosheights wrote: i have 3 different mp3 players, compact flasth/sd etc, used them for player mp3's and some c2c programs, can i copy podcasts on to my compact flash card to listen to them on my mp3 players the same way?

thanks

andy
Sure Andy, that's what they're for. :D The podcast is just an mp3 audio file. That's the whole sell is that you can put your favorite show on your player or PC and listen any time you want to - on your schedule -- and not the radio station's.

Of course the size of your flash card would limit you to that size or smaller mp3 show file but most aren't that big and if they are you can split them or re-encode them smaller to fit. Leo's show is 3 hours and he splits it for you - at least the regular download from his site. The podcast might be formatted a little differently but I've never used that method to get his show yet. I usually listen live or get the mp3 from his site.

Podcasting is just another option for getting the mp3 - automatically. :cool:

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 07-31-2005 12:12 AM

I forgot to mention Kevin Rose and Dan Huard also have The Broken

*Systm Episode 3 is up.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-31-2005 12:25 AM

I seen that.. It's about making homemade Monster A/V cables.. It just reminds me of what I can't afford, heh. :rolleyes: :D

If you want to watch some geeks have fun check out diggnation. Kevin Rose again, but with Alex Albrecht.
They give hi-lites from digg.com..and drink beers. Image

Way kewl..:D

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-31-2005 07:43 AM

If you want to waste some computer time, check out

http://www.stupidvideos.com/Default.asp

Trunk Money #5 is funny, as are all the Trunk Money spots.

Also, if you get the option to watch the trailer for the new Discovery Channel show, it's pretty good.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 07-31-2005 07:53 AM

now this is what i was talking about

thanks got to check these out today

andy

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-31-2005 11:38 AM

In my post above, "Trunk Money #5 is funny, as are all the Trunk Money spots." should read ...

"Trunk Monkey #5 is funny, as are all the Trunk Monkey spots."

:rolleyes: That's what I get for trying to post with a splitting headache. I'll go back to bed now.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Return to “FF IT Tech”