Most Miserable Place to Live

Discussion of the economy

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Most Miserable Place to Live

Post by voguy » 02-04-2012 09:06 AM

We all have opinions about our economy, how our communities and politicians respond to jobs and conditions around our area.

I've always listened to words, and especially to their meaning. Sometime you can say something negative and people will hear it as a positive. Or you say a positive and people take it as a negative. In the neighborhood I grew up, we call saying a negative, and people responding to a positive as "Irish Diplomacy". Actually, Irish Diplomacy is roughly defined as; the ability to tell someone to go to hell, and make them look forward to the trip. :)

A couple of times in the past 20 years our community has earned the title of "the most affordable place to live". Our mayor wears this phrase as an honor. But as I think about it, I find that someone with Irish Diplomacy must have come up with that ranking. You see, we're at 9.2% unemployment. Most of the kids who graduate from college with degrees leave the town, and industry is lacking. So I see “most affordable” as meaning, “it’s cheap to live here because real estate values are not worth a crap, and there is no commerce. Everyone is just squeaking by”.

So imagine my joy when I find an article in the paper that says we’re not as bad off as we think we are. Give it a read. As for me, I’m going to take the sticker off my truck that proclaims. “We’re not as bad as Youngstown”.

So how is your town?

Forbes ranks Glass City 8th in nation for misery
By Tony Cook - Toledo Blade Staff Writer - Link to Story

Toledo is the eighth most miserable city in the nation, according to a new ranking by Forbes.

The Glass City moved up four spots from 12th last year in the business magazine's annual list of "America's Most Miserable Cities." Forbes specifically cited the scandal in the city's Department of Neighborhoods and poor scores for income and property tax rates.

This is the second straight year that Toledo moved up on the list. It was No. 15 two years ago.

The Top 10 is composed primarily of cities in Florida and the Midwest, two regions hit particularly hard by the housing crisis and economic recession. Miami ranked first. Detroit was No. 2. Two other Ohio cities -- Cleveland (No. 12) and Akron (No. 14) -- also made the list.

Forbes considered 10 factors for the 200 largest U.S. metropolitan areas to come up with its 20 most miserable cities: violent crime, unemployment rates, foreclosures, income and property taxes, home prices, and political corruption, as well as less weighty factors such as weather and commute times.

Of Toledo, Forbes wrote, "The city is ensnared in a scandal within its Department of Neighborhoods that involves alleged bid rigging and stolen funds. The FBI and U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development are investigating the crimes. Toledo scores poorly when it comes to income and property tax rates."

That unwanted attention was magnified Friday when Yahoo.com featured the Forbes list prominently on its home page, along with a photo of the Great Lakes Terminal Warehouse and grain elevators just south of downtown Toledo.

Mayor Mike Bell, who in his state of the city address Monday urged Toledoans to see the good things about their city, was dismissive of the Forbes report. "It's unfortunate that local media continues to devote coverage to the negative list from Forbes," the mayor said in a statement. "I have focused my energy on positively promoting Toledo and will continue to do that. Hopefully, our local media will do the same, and we can only hope Forbes will one day catch on."

Others criticized the list for its subjectivity.

"It's basically a waste of people's time to read articles like that," said Rich Nachazel, president of Destination Toledo, the area's convention and visitor's bureau. He called the criteria subjective and called the use of factors such as weather ridiculous.

The Forbes list comes as an assortment of local businesses seeks to bolster Toledo's standing by initiating a branding effort for the city. Toledo Region Brand, an offshoot of the Northwest Ohio Brand Council, recently introduced a revamped Web site, toledoregion.com, to showcase the community and provide information about living and working here.

Criticisms of the rankings aren't completely without merit. For example, the problems in Toledo's neighborhoods department -- which include allegations of bid-rigging and favoritism -- weren't even considered as a factor, according to Kurt Badenhausen, author of the list.

"It was just to provide some color on what's going on," he said.

The magazine does use data from the Public Integrity Section of the U.S. Department of Justice to measure political corruption, but those statistics include all of northern Ohio.

That means Toledo is lumped in with places such as Cleveland, where a corruption scandal recently led to the conviction of a former county auditor and where a former Cuyahoga County commissioner is on trial.

"If you choose, you can blame Cleveland," Mr. Badenhausen said.

The primary factor behind Toledo's rise in the rankings this year was a change in methodology, he said. Forbes used property tax rather than sales tax data for this year's list.

Lucas County taxpayers spend on average $1,888 annually on their property tax bills, a figure that is among the top 15 percent of nearly all counties nationwide, according to a report last year from the Tax Foundation, a Washington think tank.

Within Toledo's city limits, the owner of a $100,000 home pays an average of about $1,800 in property taxes, said Cynthia Savage, a spokesman for county Auditor Anita Lopez. She didn't have information comparing that to other cities.

Toledo council President Joe McNamara classified the statistics used by Forbes as "sterile" and said the study could not possibly capture the full vibrancy of the Toledo community and its people.

He acknowledged the city has faced some serious challenges, particularly because of the recession, but said local authorities are working hard to provide needed public services, grow a new clean-energy economy, and correct problems within the neighborhoods department.

Toledo boasts some impressive assets, including its zoo, the Toledo Museum of Art and the library system, he said, which are impressive to outside visitors and investors.

"Toledo has a great mix of big-city amenities without big-city clutter and chaos," the councilman said. "This is a very special place that we should have pride in."

Christine Bailey, spokesman for the Toledo Regional Chamber Commerce, also took issue with the list.

"The Chamber is more interested in telling the positive stories about our community [and there are many] than dwelling on subjective lists that do nothing to improve our region," she said.

Mr. Badenhausen said "it's up to every individual how seriously they want to take it."

"What we're trying to highlight are the struggles and problems that most residents have to deal with," he said. "Obviously each of these places have many positive qualities as well."
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-04-2012 09:10 AM

Another take on the list ....

4 cities in Michigan on Forbes miserable list
Lansing, Flint, Det., Warren make its top 15 for cheerless living
By BY TOM GREENWOOD THE DETROIT NEWS

Proving that it's a company that loves misery, Forbes magazine this week listed Detroit, Flint, Warren and Lansing as second, third, 10th and 13th on the nation's Most Miserable Cities list.

Miami got first place because of foreclosures, with 47 percent of homeowners "sitting on underwater mortgages."

Forbes — based in New York, home of fetid subways, $175 gold leaf flaked hamburgers and $1,200 a month, 90-square-foot apartments — bases its yearly misery score on unemployment, tax rates, commute times, weather, crime and the odd backyard toxic waste dump.

The magazine ranked metropolitan areas that include large swaths of suburbs.

As usual, metropolitan Detroit and Flint were flogged for crime, police layoffs, schools, unemployment and flirting with bankruptcy and emergency managers.

(However, while both cities had the same problems last year, Flint rated the No. 11 spot and Detroit came in at 15 in 2011.)

According to Forbes, 13th-ranked Lansing "makes the cut thanks to lots of foreclosures, high property taxes and lousy weather."

One bright spot: "short commutes to work for the metro area's 467,000 residents."

Amazingly, odious, odiferous Gary, Ind. was listed in 20th place, 10 spots better than Warren.

The rap against Warren, Michigan's third-largest city: "The housing market collapsed in the Warren metro area, which includes Troy and Farmington Hills. The median home price is down 50 percent over the past three years, the second biggest drop in the U.S. after Detroit."

Warren Mayor James Fouts isn't buying it.

"I'm obviously outraged by something coming from a magazine which is out of touch with working people," Fouts said.

"I challenge any data which has us in the Farmington Hills/Troy area. We have all kinds of businesses and investments opening up here, including a $750 million investment from General Motors and an academy sponsored by Chrysler. Forbes never called me about this article, and I'll bet they never set foot in this city either."

But interestingly enough, in June Forbes listed Warren in the 140 spot of the magazine's top 200 "Best Places for Business and Careers."
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 02-04-2012 01:05 PM

I think Miami is a great place as long as you can afford it.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-05-2012 12:27 PM

I will take any state with no state income tax.
A man's character is his fate

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 02-06-2012 01:47 AM

When you live in a great state, no one should mind paying taxes. We give 10% more to CA when we file. And we also give a 2nd 10% to the Feds... just because.

Most people wouldn't begin to think of doing this. Rod and I aren't wealthy; we're merely comfortable. But we appreciate NO SNOW, NO ICE, NO TORNADOES, NO HURRICANES, and usually MILD TEMPERATURES. Sure... we have fires, mud slides, some flooding when it rains too much too fast. That's what our extra 10% to the State goes for. If more people would tithe 10% to their states and another 10% to the Feds, (instead of Churches who do nothing for us except ask for more for special needs...) they would worry less about being raided for something, because the States and the Feds have a tremendous amount of respect for those who pay a little more, without protesting what we already are required to pay. And DON'T think that people in government don't know this. Rod's got letters of thanks from every President since Truman, and every state Governor to which he gave more than required.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-06-2012 03:01 AM

I think the bottom line, Bobbi, is nobody minds paying taxes if you get something for it. When you pay, and then they cut services and support, then you don't see the value.

For example, in our little town, we "enjoy" a rather high tax amount. Ten years ago, even those with limited input to the tax system didn't mind that much. But now that they have eliminated three fire stations, (which increase response time), and fail to repair streetlights, now the people don't see a value. Especially when the mayor spends tax dollars on things that seem ridiculous without citizen input.

The problem with municipal taxes is the gauge is often "let's hit them hard enough to get what we want, but not so much it caused a revolt." Sort of like our Revolutionary War. They kept raising taxes on the people till they revolted. Had they stayed under 17%, the Boston Tea Party probably would never had happened. Yeah, that's right, 17% tax. Wouldn't it be nice today?

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-06-2012 11:43 PM

:lolchimp: :lolchimp: :lolchimp: :lolchimp: :lolchimp: :lolchimp: :lolchimp:

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-07-2012 01:01 PM

At this point and time in California about the only great thing about this state is the weather and thankfully these folks who work for us have no control over that or the weather would be screwed up and in the toilet just like real estate and jobs.

For the past two years more people have moved out of California than have moved in. Ask a job creator in business how great it is to do business in California - they will tell you.

Our taxes are in the top five and our public schools for the most part are an embarassment, with our teachers the highest paid. Those who are able send their children to private schools. Heck ask those poor folks in the LAUSD how great the public school system and teachers union is working for them and their children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/0 ... 59035.html

If one thinks churches and religion is a scam so be it but to think government is the moral high ground - well you just have to be in complete denial or drinking the kool aid (white wine)

:D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-07-2012 03:55 PM

Our little town has its own police force (complete with unmarked nazi cars), street sweepers, poo-picker-uppers, everything you could possibly pay for they have. It is ridiculous since we have a population of only 17k!!

Our taxes are sky-high (and I mean municipal taxes, obviously we also live in one of the highest taxed provinces in a highly taxed country), and I find about half the things they supposedly pay for to be a waste of time.

Bleh.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-07-2012 04:18 PM

Fan wrote: Our little town has its own police force (complete with unmarked nazi cars), street sweepers, poo-picker-uppers, everything you could possibly pay for they have. It is ridiculous since we have a population of only 17k!!

Our taxes are sky-high (and I mean municipal taxes, obviously we also live in one of the highest taxed provinces in a highly taxed country), and I find about half the things they supposedly pay for to be a waste of time.

Bleh.

So who out of the 17K is on the take????:D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-07-2012 04:37 PM

Diogenes wrote: So who out of the 17K is on the take????:D

It ain't me, so only another 16 999 people to investigate :)

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 02-07-2012 04:45 PM

Years ago when I used to drive truck over the road I would often deliver in Cleveland and Toledo and they did seem like crappy places to live.
-Sinner

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-07-2012 06:02 PM

Got in trouble once for saying, "I drove to Cleveland. And the best sight I saw was Cleveland in my rear view mirror as I was getting the hell out of town."

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-07-2012 06:35 PM

voguy wrote: Got in trouble once for saying, "I drove to Cleveland. And the best sight I saw was Cleveland in my rear view mirror as I was getting the hell out of town."

It's pretty sad what has happened to our once major and thriving cities. Such wonderful downtown areas and beautiful main streets.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 02-07-2012 08:23 PM

Detroit has to be the poster child for blight.

Check this out from DetroitFireFilm.org. As the video ends, listen to the statistics on how many homes are burnt down each day.

VIDEO

Return to “Economy”