Star Trek Discovery

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Doka » 01-26-2020 03:21 PM

I have always liked Patrick Stewart, but due to his delicate age this may be his last "Trek", not sure I feel the rush go watch this one. What do you guys think?

"Star Trek: Picard’ Has Finally Beamed Down. Does It Deliver the Goods?

January 24, 2020

"Remembrance," the debut episode of Star Trek: Picard, on the CBS All Access streaming network (also available as an add-on channel to Amazon Prime Video) picks up twenty years after the last film with the Next Generation cast, 2002’s ignominious Star Trek: Nemesis. Given that Patrick Stewart himself is now 79, it’s no surprise that Jean-Luc Picard is showing all of his years, having retired from Star Fleet some 14 years ago. (SPOILERS FOLLOW. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED.) After an opening using Bing Crosby’s 1946 song “Blue Skies” as its background music, depicting Picard and Data playing poker in Ten-Forward on the classic Enterprise-D, followed by what looks like the destruction of Mars, Picard wakes up in his bed, and we learn the preceding was a dream sequence. He’s holed up in the great house at his Chateau Picard winery in France, with his pit bull whom he has named, appropriately enough, “Number One,” very much reminiscent of Kirk in his country home, with his dog, Butler, in the Nexus in Star Trek: Generations.

Rest of Article(Spoilers)

https://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/star-trek-picard-debuts/
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Star Trek: SJW! (Or, The Wrath Of Picard)

Post by Riddick » 01-26-2020 03:52 PM

Doka wrote: 01-26-2020 03:21 PM I have always liked Patrick Stewart, but due to his delicate age this may be his last "Trek", not sure I feel the rush go watch this one. What do you guys think?
After peruses here & here I can say I'm in no big hurry either - Despite what Stewart's "not saying" my bet is rather than being a subtle & gentle reflection on the world today it'll certainly be no less audaciously in-your-face & "Woke" than STD -
[Stewart] was hesitant to reprise his most famous role unless certain conditions were met. “What I hoped we would address and what I talked about in our early meetings before I accepted the offer was that we would not be reflecting Next Generation so much as the world the way it is today,” Stewart explains. “And how it has changed in the 19 years since we wrapped the film Nemesis, because it has changed and it is mostly changing in ways that I think not good for the world. And I mean ranging from Brexit to global warming.”
"I'm not saying we are turning Star Trek into a political show, not remotely," Stewart said. "What we are making is entertainment, but that it should reflect perhaps in a subtle and gentle way the world that we are living in. That is what Star Trek has always done, and I think it's important."
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2020 09:53 AM

Crap, every thing is being turned into a political infomercial. About as subtle as throwing rocks through windows. :roll: Just enjoying life and a good story, is a lost art.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

First Impressions

Post by Riddick » 02-02-2020 10:25 PM

OK, since CBS All Access has the premiere ep for (limited-time) free viewing on YouTube, I gave it a look-see - IMHO insofar it seems not nearly so much 'The Wrath Of Picard' as 'The Search For Data,' at this point, I'd say it's a promising start - as for where it goes from here I'm (reservedly) interested.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Picard's Wine

Post by Riddick » 02-07-2020 03:06 PM

While we aren't yet able to experience warp travel, or transporter technology, or whatever degenerate fantasies humanity would conjure on the Holodeck, there is one part of Star Trek's future that can be yours right now:. FULL STORY

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 02-07-2020 05:40 PM

:drinkingc :wave: :drinkingc :grog: :yay:
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-04-2020 12:56 PM

Entertainment has simply become Holly Wuds political agenda. I just want a good story, ah ,yes Simple, I know. .:roll: I want to pick out my own "Heros" and "Villains"

'Star Trek Picard’s’ Season Finale Crashes Upon Descent

The first season of Star Trek: Picard concluded on Thursday, and its finale was something of a mixed bag. The best episodes of the season focused on solving the riddle of what happened to Gene Roddenberry’s once sunny, optimistic United Federation of Planets, and why it had become so xenophobic, controlled by paranoid outsiders, and yet unable to enforce its own laws, themes that Star Trek: Deep Space Nine had explored in the 1990s. (Yes, of course, Picard’s star and writers were quick to credit these plot ideas with the Bad Orange Man in the White House, but had they not spilled the beans, the show would have been pure sci-fi escapism.) But the finale was too often a videogame-like CGI crap-fest, ruining the character studies of the previous episodes, and marred by attempts to wrap up too many plot elements in a single hour. It’s titled “Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2,” which according to the Star Trek-themed wiki “Memory Alpha,” translates into “‘Even in Arcadia, there am I.’ This is generally interpreted with ‘Arcadia’ meaning a utopian land and the ‘I’ referring to Death, making it a memento mori.” Let’s dive in to explore a bit of what went wrong.

SPOILERS ABOUND. IF YOU’VE JUST STARTED WATCHING THE SERIES BECAUSE CBS ALL ACCESS MADE IT FREE TO STREAM THIS PAST WEEK, READ MY REVIEW OF ITS FIRST EPISODE INSTEAD.

Full Article/Comments

https://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/star-tre ... on-finale/
KARMA RULES

Return to “Books, Documentaries, Movies, TV Shows”