Huge victory for Arctic wildlife!

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Huge victory for Arctic wildlife!

Post by SETIsLady » 10-04-2006 04:53 PM

From My email

Dear NRDC BioGems Defender,

I am thrilled to report that we just won a major courtroom victory for the Western Arctic Reserve -- an NRDC BioGem and one of America's greatest natural treasures.

A federal judge has blocked the Bush administration from proceeding with oil and gas development in the famed Teshekpuk Lake region and its world-class wildlife nurseries.

The Western Arctic Reserve may be less well-known than the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge but its wildlife populations are every bit as unique, spectacular and endangered.

It is home to the 45,000-member Teshekpuk Lake caribou herd. Tens of thousands of migratory birds come here from as far away as Antarctica to nest without disturbance.

Even Ronald Reagan's Interior Secretary James Watt -- no friend of the environment -- recognized Teshekpuk's great importance and granted it federal protection in the 1980s.

But the Bush administration was preparing to strip this wildlife treasure of its protections, sell it to the highest bidder, and create a sprawling industrial zone of pipelines, rigs and waste sites.

NRDC and our partner groups went to court to stop this unconscionable giveaway to Big Oil. And now that court has ruled that the Interior Department failed to consider the cumulative environmental impacts of oil and gas drilling on this sensitive ecosystem.

This is huge victory in a multi-year campaign that NRDC has waged both in and out of court.

And you made it possible! I want to thank our army of supporters who championed this cause by sending 150,000 messages of protest to the Interior Department and by donating the financial support that enabled us to prevail.

All that hard work has paid off in a victory for nature that is well worth celebrating.

Thank you so much for your tireless activism on behalf of the Western Arctic Reserve and all our other endangered BioGems.

http://www.savebiogems.org/

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-04-2006 05:04 PM

Thanks Linda, good news for a change.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 10-04-2006 05:14 PM

Yes, Shirley I was excited to get this today. Its nice to see some of this work is paying off :)

Squall
Pirate

Post by Squall » 10-04-2006 11:39 PM

I hope the judge doesn't suddenly have a change of heart like the senators and representatives did...or suddenly disappear.
"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 10-04-2006 11:44 PM

"All that hard work has paid off in a victory for nature that is well worth celebrating."

Yes, it makes my heart feel a lil' lighter.

Thank you.

A victory' at long last! :)

Return to “Environment in Crisis”