Winnepeg Gas Explosion

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Winnepeg Gas Explosion

Post by kbot » 01-27-2014 06:53 AM

Hopefully our friends in the Winnepeg and upper Midwest areas are all OK........

Natural gas pipeline explosion forces Xcel Energy customers to conserve

January 26, 2014

Updated Jan 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM CST

St. Paul, MN (NNCNOW.COM)

A natural gas pipeline rupture and fire near Winnepeg, Canada effected the supply lines to more than 100 thousand Xcel Energy customers across the Midwest.

Xcel requests that residents in East Grand Forks, Moorhead, and Brainerd reduce their natural gas consumption and look for alternative heating solutions.

The State Fire Marshal is encouraging those using alternative heating methods to use them safely.

Tips include keeping pets at least three feet away from anything flammable, turning portable heaters off when going to bed and checking outlets for signs of overheating.

The Red Cross is working to identify public shelter locations

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/hom ... 46391.html
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2014 11:44 AM

My thoughts are with those hurt or affected by the x-plosion.

It appears that suddenly (?) gas or oil transports are blowing up. Now we have a big push to get the oil/gas transport off the railway here in Oregon. Never mind the prices have suddenly gone up or this is the only way people have a way of keeping heat in there homes in this cold. It appears that that the powers that be want it stopped NOW. :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-27-2014 12:17 PM

We've had the same issue here with prices skyrocketing. I distinctly remember only a few years back that we as a country should push for a switchover to natural gas because "it is plentiful, it is cheap, and the USA has more natural gas than the Middle East has oil........."

OK, where the heck did THAT sentiment go?

All I can say is "Thank God for wood- and pellet stoves...."
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2014 01:05 PM

Kbot, It used to be that a lot of the East used coal, it that still the case?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-27-2014 03:19 PM

They're phasing back because of the pollution. We had two coal-fired plants locally. One was named as the dirtiest power plant in the entire northeast. Harvard did a study a few years back showing how the particulates spread from SE Massachusetts up to Quebec and the Maritimes and they also determined who many cases of asthma, etc were attributable to the pollution. Also there was an uproar because the water being released into the adjacent bay was much hotter than the temperature in the bay, and so a lot of fish were killed.

So, one plant was closed. Another was bought out and the new owners announced that they will be closing the plant. This has turned the town's finances upside down because they received a very large check each year for taxes. Even though the plant was converted to a coal/ gas situation, the new owners just decided to shut it down.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2014 05:36 PM

Interesting, we had a coal-fire plant up the free-way from where I am, it was out in the middle of no-where, we still have quite a bit of "no-where" in the state, it was fitted with all kinds of "scrubbers", but it was shut down a couple of years ago.

What I am trying to say is, that all these energy producing vehicles are being shutdown , with nothing to take there place, as yet. If you have any money left, please send it to the utility companys. We are being "squeezed" from every direction. :(
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 01-27-2014 05:59 PM

They installed scrubbers here too and a lot of other work was done, but the levels of pollution were still too high. I think that another plant - also owned by the same company, was recently closed in Salem, north of Boston.

The large plant here has had its closure delayed by regulators since its capacity will impact the regional grid and with (as you've noted) nothing to replace it, especially is such a large congested urban-sprawl area, the powers that be decided to hold off on closure for now. It's a done deal as far as I've heard - just delaying the inevitable..... The smokestacks are pretty much yellowed on the top thirds. It's kinda hard to camouflage that sorta thing......

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 01-28-2014 11:56 PM

I hope everyone is ok :)

Return to “Energy Policy”