Crazy Idea?

Sustainable and renewable energy.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Americ
Pirate

Crazy Idea?

Post by Americ » 11-10-2004 05:52 PM

Could humans be used to power the grid ?
By having them pedal something, like an exercise bike?
Why not make this a new type of job where you get paid to workout while powering the grid?
or is it unrealistic (youde need millions of people to do it).
(I'm no scientist, so bear wit me)
:D

drnewel
Pirate

Power the grid

Post by drnewel » 11-10-2004 11:34 PM

I once had a friend whom had a small water wheel in the back country, and he was able to sell power back to the grid. They delayed paying him for the power by factors of years. Then he started running into permit troubles, and his neighbors ganged up on him.

Theoretically it seems possible to me that you can sell power to the grid.

I live in San Francisco and the Gyms in The Castro are all full of x-tasy people at odd hours - it would be a good place to start the treadmill power grid sell off here in San Francisco, on the x-tasy powered gyms.

The ratio of ectasy to power conversion would seem expensive to me, at 25.00 a tablet. How about red bull, or rockstar soda power conversions, or latte treadmill sell offs?
Dr. Newel

shecoda
Pirate

Post by shecoda » 11-10-2004 11:45 PM

In California an individual cna "sell" power back to the grid.

Solar Energy Strategies
In California, homeowners and businesses can collect solar energy and feed it back into the electrical grid. These systems are called "intertie systems."

An intertie system takes solar or wind power, and feeds it into your electrical circuit breaker panel. If you are not using all of the power that is coming in from your solar or wind energy source, the excess power will flow out to the utility grid, and your meter will run backwards. In effect, you are selling power to the grid. If your solar or wind energy source is not providing enough to meet your power requirements at a given time, then power will come in from the utility grid to make up the difference.

more...

http://www.sbcapcd.org/energycons.htm

By the way I love the idea of riding a bike to feed the grid. Would save me a lot in gym fees. I would like a treadmill hooked up also, along with the cycles. Maybe we could hook up stairsteppers and elipiticals too. Great idea.

Americ
Pirate

Post by Americ » 11-11-2004 02:20 PM

I dont know why there arent these micro-power grids for apartment complexes and neighborhoods.
Then, again that would give the consumer TOO MUCH control - which the big whigs dont want.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-11-2004 04:34 PM

Very interesting idea Americ. I suppose a person now could do this in his own home somehow. The technology exists, just applying it correctly. Then these power-houses could all be put in a network or just set on the existing grid contributing when possible and/or profitable. Lotsa' potential, no pun intended...:)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-11-2004 04:40 PM

Oh! And welcome aboard, drnewel. I don't think we have anyone from SF - that I know of anyway. Those gym owners are foolish if they aren't harnassing that power! They could light up the whole bay area! :)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-11-2004 10:29 PM

Yes welcome drbnewel and dale we have someone just north of there a few miles but won't tell..........;)

drnewel
Pirate

Human Power

Post by drnewel » 11-12-2004 09:06 PM

Hello,

thanks for the kind words. I am a 4th generation San Franciscan. My Great Grandfather operated a train here, my Grandfather had a boarding house on Post St., and my father was born here.

I was born at Cheyene Mountain while my father worked at Black Ops. Both my parents have worked at area 51 - they saw nothing unusual, nor worked on anything unusual, nor heard about anything unusual going on there. My parents were the day-to-day ordinary people that worked on the ordinary things.

They moved to Marin County, then to Sacramento (McClellan AFB), then when I was old enough I came here to S.F to go to SFSU my dream.

At SFSU My Physics teacher, whom taught Relativity, had worked at the Berkeley Cyclotron, on projects including turning lead into gold by Nuetron Bombardment (some one had to try it out).

In any case there is a huge un tapped resource of bicycleing health nuts here in the gyms in the Castro Neighborhood.

This reminds me of the movie, "Soylet Green," where the future cop rides a bike to power his one light bulb.
Dr. Newel

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-13-2004 11:24 AM

I am a strong proponent of alternative energy. Could be why we have solar power -- battery backup system here, solar heat and of course wood stove that has copper wiring that heats water. (copper coil goes around pipe and down to a water heater which stores the hot water for home use.)

Anyone who remembers back to when Art showed his solar battery backup system - he had pictures on net, will know something about what we have as well...but not on quite the large scale.

There is no reason that I can think of for people in an area half way up on the US map and living below that line could not use solar power. Why aren't there more roofs being used for solar cells?

Wind generation power is also viable. When travelling in northwest Iowa I went past several wind generation areas. They produce enough power to provide electricity for several small communities. The cattle graze on the land under these tall wind generators, and they produce excess power which they sell.

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 01-07-2005 02:22 PM

Could humans be used to power the grid ?By having them pedal something, like an exercise bike?

May be so but don’t you think methane would save us all a lot of calories? See example below.

Return to “Energy Policy”