Musician hassled, instruments destroyed

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Musician hassled, instruments destroyed

Post by SquidInk » 01-02-2014 01:39 AM

http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... ments.html
A Canadian citizen, based in New York and with a green card employment permit, Boujemaa was flying home from Marrakech, Morocco, when his baggage was opened by Customs at JFK.

‘I told them I had these instruments for many years and flew with them in and out,’ he said. ‘There were 11 instruments in all. They told me they were agricultural products and they had to be destroyed. There was nothing I could do. The ney flute can be made with bamboo. Is that agricultural?’

Boujemaa was both upset and unwilling to risk a confrontation with the US authorities. We did not press him for further particulars. He does not know what to do next. But he does appear to be the victim of state injustice. What do the lawyers among our readers think he should do?
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/ ... lutes.html
Boujemaa Razgui, a flute virtuoso who lives in New York and works with many US ensembles, was returning to base over the holiday when Customs officials at Kennedy Airport asked to see his instruments.

Bourjemaa carries a variety of flutes of varying ethnicity, each made by himself over years for specific types of ancient and modern performance. He is a regular guest with the diverse and enterprising Boston Camerata.

At JFK, the officials removed and smashed each and every one of his instruments. No reason was given.
So, aged bamboo shoots are now dangerous agricultural products (which could presumably harbor stowaway insects)? You are not a musician, you say?

Take a close look at the cloths on your back. Agricultural product. Your leather bag? Ag product. Don't take your Stradivarius across a US border - they'll splinter it for you.

We asked for this. Every day for the last 40 years. Well, now this is what we are. :huhsmile: :facepalm:

Related: https://www.aclu.org/national-security- ... hes-border
BROOKLYN – A federal court today dismissed a lawsuit arguing that the government should not be able to search and copy people’s laptops, cell phones, and other devices at border checkpoints without reasonable suspicion. An appeal is being considered. Government documents show that thousands of innocent American citizens are searched when they return from trips abroad.
Last edited by SquidInk on 01-02-2014 01:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-02-2014 04:20 AM

Imagine the inner rage this poor man is going to have to live with for the rest of his life? These instruments were more than likely his most beloved possessions, a part of his soul and all that he is. :(

There is no remedy that can compensate this man for his loss, except waiting for them one dark night in the parking lot to rearrange their knee caps.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 01-02-2014 05:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 01-02-2014 01:41 PM

You may be right, RA.

The part of this that caught my eye was the "agricultural" pretense. This musician wasn't harassed under the guise of "the war on terror", his property (and livelihood) was confiscated and destroyed on site under expanded pretense.

Everything we require in order to remain alive (food, shelter, clothing, etc) could be taken from us in this way. And one day soon, it might be.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 01-02-2014 04:40 PM

Yes, what an absurd reason. It has to be a one off. I can't see this happening to somebody with a name like Bubba Johnson.

Don't ask me how I came up with that name. :D
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Return to “Conspiracies/Black Ops”