Invasion: 7,500 drones

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

Invasion: 7,500 drones

Post by voguy » 11-12-2013 04:46 PM

Invasion: 7,500 drones in U.S. airspace within 5 years, FAA warns
By Kellan Howell - The Washington Times - Thursday, November 7, 2013

The chief of the Federal Aviation Administration predicted Thursday that U.S. airspace could be crowded with as many as 7,500 commercial drones within the next five years, as he unveiled a long-awaited regulatory blueprint that seeks to protect Americans’ privacy while requiring testing for law enforcement and private companies seeking to operate unmanned aerial vehicles.

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta said his agency would set up six sites across the country to test drone operators, but cautioned that there could be delays for those looking to obtain certificates to operate unmanned aircraft once the regulatory guidelines are in place. He said ensuring safety in increasingly congested skies was his agency’s top priority.

“We must fulfill those obligations in a thoughtful, careful manner that ensures safety and promotes economic growth,” Mr. Huerta said in a speech to aerospace industry executives.

The FAA’s announcement is the latest step in the march toward transitioning drones from the military use in the war on terrorism that made them famous to civilian applications that can range from collecting survey and weather data to assisting rescues and law enforcement operations.

The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems, the leading trade group for the nation’s private-sector drone operators, estimated this year that the commercial drone industry will create more than 100,000 jobs and generate more than $82 billion in economic impact over the next 10 years — if the government moves quickly to establish workable operating regulations and safeguards.

The impending boom has raised concerns among privacy advocates about how and where drones might be used to collect data. The FAA is requiring future test sites to develop privacy plans and make them available to the public. The policy also requires test site operators to disclose how data will be obtained and used.

“Make no mistake about it, privacy is an extremely important issue and it is something that the public has a significant interest and concern over and we need to recognize as an industry that if we are going to take full advantage of the benefits that we are talking about for these technologies we need to be responsive to the public’s concerns about privacy,” Mr. Huerta said.

Christopher Calabrese, American Civil Liberties Union legislative counsel, told The Washington Times that while the FAA’s requirement for public disclosure of data and retention policies are needed and welcome, the safeguards do not go far enough.

“It’s crucial that as we move forward with drone use, those procedural protections are followed by concrete restrictions on how data from drones can be used and how long it can be stored. Congress must also weigh in on areas outside of the FAA’s authority, such as use by law enforcement and the Department of Homeland Security, which have the ability to use drones for invasive surveillance that must be kept in check,” Mr. Calabrese said.

Legislation has been introduced by Sen. Edward J. Markey, Massachusetts Democrat, and Rep. Ted Poe, Texas Republican, and Rep. Zoe Lofgren, California Democrat. If passed, this legislation would require law enforcement agencies to obtain warrants before using drones to collect surveillance data on U.S. soil. “People are really worried about drone use. You see it in a huge number of state bills and laws, and I think the FAA needs to understand that if they don’t address privacy issues then drones are not going to be a useful technology,” he said. “Privacy can’t be swept under the rug.”

Mr. Huerta told reporters after his address that there was not a fast-track application process for particular agencies — such as law enforcement — looking to apply for certification to operate unmanned aircraft.

“Our current policy provides for any public user that would like to apply for a certificate of operation to operate unmanned aircraft within national airspace, they are free to apply…,” he said. “But I wouldn’t say we have a particular priority one way or the other.”

Mr. Huerta did allude to possible exceptions for law enforcement agencies to use small unmanned aircraft systems but stressed that the FAA was looking into how to streamline the application process in a way that ensures safe integration into the system and said approximately 80 law enforcement agencies already operate unmanned aircraft under special certificates of authorization.

The FAA released an integration road map and comprehensive plan on its website Thursday.

Both documents lay out steps for unmanned aircraft integration by 2015. Setting up test sites for unmanned aircraft is the next step on the path to integration, and bidding from states to host the sites has been spirited.

“By the end of the year, we plan to choose six test sites for civil unmanned aircraft. Congress required us to do so, and we need to make sure we use these sites to obtain the best data that we can,” Mr. Huerta said.

The FAA has received 25 applications for test sights representing 26 states.

The drone industry, which has pushed the Obama administration to speed regulations to clear the way for more commercial uses, called the FAA’s moves “an important step.”

“From advancing scientific research and responding to natural disasters to locating missing persons and helping to fight wildfires, [drones] can save time, save money, and, most importantly, save lives,” said a statement by Michael Toscano, president and CEO of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems.

Mr. Toscano noted that the FAA’s announcements were better late than never as the FAA has missed every deadline laid out for drone integration in the reauthorization act. However, they have had to cope with significant funding cuts from sequestration and government shutdowns. “Every day that we don’t fly in national airspace, we lose between $27 to $30 million of economic revenue,” he said.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-12-2013 05:24 PM

“By the end of the year, we plan to choose six test sites for civil unmanned aircraft. Congress required us to do so, and we need to make sure we use these sites to obtain the best data that we can,” Mr. Huerta said.

My area is driving it's self "nuts" trying to get one of those contracts! It is too bad that they can be weaponized incredibly fast, not to mention the nasty"spying". They could be used for all kinds of purposeful things, but this administration, for sure, is not trustworthy enough for us to think that they wouldn't be used to hurt the mainstream population on a whim. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-12-2013 05:25 PM

Doka wrote: My area is driving it's self "nuts" trying to get one of those contracts! It is too bad that they can be weaponized incredibly fast, not to mention the nasty"spying". They could be used for all kinds of purposeful things, but this administration, for sure, is not trustworthy enough for us to think that they wouldn't be used to hurt the mainstream population on a whim. :(
Can you name an administration that was trustworthy enough?

Maybe the G. Washington administration?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-12-2013 05:30 PM

I was just thinking last night a good use for drones would be for forest fires. I can picture a line of little guys endlessly dropping water then going off for a refill. Maybe a good use for all those shell-shocked murderers who fly the military drones now?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-12-2013 05:31 PM

SquidInk wrote: Can you name an administration that was trustworthy enough?

ya, I would trust lots of past administrations with them. It is only Obummer who is untrustworthy. Duh.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-12-2013 05:48 PM

Ha! That would possibly be one. For some reason I still have hope that people will come along that will lead us to help us enhance ourselves in a more positive way, for those that are so "inclined". There is always going to be inequities, either real or personally per-sieved that way. Our world is never going to be "heaven" as some demand. But most reasonable people would like the opportunity to better themselves in this life, that have nothing to do with money or religion . Hard to believe, but I believe it to be so.
Last edited by Doka on 11-12-2013 11:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-12-2013 06:01 PM

This number doesn't include the military drones being based and used domestically......

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-12-2013 11:51 PM

It doesn't take much to make a bomb out of 'em, got duct tape? :eek:

They could drop medicines instead of bombs. We have a beautiful "River Walk" here with some assaults going on , I wouldn't mind having one buzzing around while I'm walking. I like the idea about the forest fires, Fan.:)
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-13-2013 12:10 PM

Boston has a show on their local channel 5, called Chronicle (really good show). Last night they were discussing some of the high tech programs that are available in the city and surrounding areas. They were focusing on some of the local colleges and universities such as Harvard and MIT, as well as companies such as Nuance with their voice activated systems. One segment that was interesting was Harvard's robotics lab and their insect-sized drones. Although the designers were excited, describing all the possible uses (pollinating plants for example) all I could think of was "loss of privacy..."

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-13-2013 12:50 PM

Kbot, None of us have been "private" for a long time, got a phone, got a credit card, file taxes, got a checking account, applied for credit, bought a car, use a "savings" card at the grocery store, etc, etc.? Go to Dr? We've all been "profiled" for a long time. Do I like it, NO! But I'm not ready to go back and live in the "Wild West" either, I like the use of electricity, hot water and washing machines, would be hard for me to give up. I consider it the price of technology. I too find it "creepy" because "they" appear to know more about my "habits" than I do! :hiding:
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-13-2013 03:14 PM

Doka wrote: . I too find it "creepy" because "they" appear to know more about my "habits" than I do! :hiding:

Yes "they" do....... And, that's why it was fascinating to see some of the tech being developed.

Here's a link to last night's segment highlighting some of the local tech if you're interested....

Tuesday, November 12: NextGen

Meet the innovators who are shaping our future
UPDATED 2:51 PM EST Nov 13, 2013 Tweet 12 NEXT STORY

Tonight, meet the innovators who are shaping our future, from turning your car into a smartphone on wheels (with proper safeguards, of course), to making a boat powered by the sun. We'll check out a Hollywood grade soundstage set for business in Central Massachusetts, and discover how the rapidly advancing technology of 3-D printing is going to allow you to become your own manufacturer. Plus … how would you like to stay at home and send a robot to the office?

Show Resources:

PlanetSolar

Verizon Innovation Center - Waltham, Mass.

New England Studios in Devens, MA is built and ready to start shooting major motion pictures and TV shows!

3D printing comes to the masses thanks to a startup Somerville company!

http://www.wcvb.com/chronicle/tuesday-n ... index.html

Return to “Conspiracies/Black Ops”