National Geographic Channel Goes 'Inside 9/11'

News, information, and comment about 'the media'

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

National Geographic Channel Goes 'Inside 9/11'

Post by SETIsLady » 08-07-2005 07:52 PM

National Geographic Channel Goes 'Inside 9/11' to Reveal a Clearer Picture of the Day That Redefined Our Nation
Friday July 8, 1:36 pm ET
Four-Hour Mini-Series Offers New Insights Into the Worst Terrorist Attack on American Soil

WASHINGTON, July 8 /PRNewswire/ -- We will never forget September 11, 2001 -- a day of unimaginable tragedy, forever altering history and our place in the world. Since the attack we have been barraged with information, creating a cloud of confusion for many. Details continue to come to light and patterns continue to emerge even after the 9/11 Commission released its report.

Now, the National Geographic Channel presents "Inside 9/11," a four-hour mini-series event of unprecedented scope that goes beyond what's been widely reported to reveal a clearer picture of events. With meticulous attention to detail and firsthand storytelling, this series presents a comprehensive and compelling perspective on that tragic day. Currently in production, "Inside 9/11" will premiere over two nights, Sunday, August 21, and Monday, August 22, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

"Inside 9/11" follows the footsteps of the terrorists as they formulated their plans, infiltrated our country and executed their suicide missions. Tracing the timeline that led up to the deadly attacks, the mini-series deconstructs the events of that fateful day, tracking the movements of all four terrorist teams and patching together the ad hoc response of government. It draws from a wide range of sources, including newly declassified documents from the 9/11 Commission investigation; over 60 original interviews with experts, whistleblowers, investigators and survivors -- some speaking out for the first time; eyewitness materials including footage culled from a rarely seen 400-hour archive; and chilling audio recordings from on board the doomed planes and inside air traffic control.

"Inside 9/11" also paints an unvarnished picture of fear and bravery, recounted in the first person. Heartbreaking interviews include that of Richard Picciotti, a battalion chief for the New York City Fire Department who was buried under the rubble for four hours and eventually rescued; Stanley Praimnath, who was in the South Tower when the plane hit, the wing smashing right into his office; and the widows of the fallen heroes of United Airlines Flight 93, who share their final conversations with the passengers right before they attempted to overtake the hijackers.

The show spans decades and circles the globe to lay bare the roots of al Qaeda, beginning with the 1978 Soviet-Afghan War and the transformation of Osama bin Laden from fundraiser to terrorist mastermind. Viewers will delve into the inner workings of al Qaeda and come to know the architects of the plot as they plan and execute the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the 1998 embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania and the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole.

"Inside 9/11" also tackles the difficult questions about our intelligence efforts and their failure to protect us despite early warning signs that pointed to al Qaeda terrorists living in Tucson, Detroit, Chicago, Kansas City, Atlanta and Brooklyn as early as 1988. Expert analysis comes from inside the intelligence community, including Michael Scheuer, former CIA senior intelligence analyst and bin Laden expert, who says in the mini-series, "America has never had an enemy who has been more precise in warning us what we're in for."

The show also includes testimony pinpointing missed opportunities, such as that of former senator and chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee Bob Graham, who laments that "early on there was an FBI agent who had suspicions about flight centers in Arizona ... none of those recommendations was followed ... the fact is that the FBI, from 1998 onward, had several of its own people saying that there was a very real, very specific threat involving Middle Eastern men in U.S. flight schools."

Investigative journalist and terrorism expert Steve Emerson adds, "9/11 occurred with 19 guys living here under their own names, registering their own driver's licenses, and yet able to outmaneuver a 30 billion dollar law enforcement intelligence agency network."

Why did the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) suppress information on security lapses identified by its own investigators and not take action after receiving 52 warnings that specifically mentioned attacks intended by bin Laden? "Inside 9/11" includes the first-person recollections of an FAA whistleblower, whose testimony to the 9/11 Commission was omitted from the final report. He testified that, "although we breached security with ridiculous ease up to 90 percent of the time, the FAA suppressed these warnings. Instead we were ordered not to write up our findings (in some cases) and not to retest airports where we found particularly egregious vulnerabilities to see if the problems had been fixed."

"Inside 9/11" asks the important questions: How did this happen? How can we make sure it never happens again? The mini-series looks at the work of the men and women who must answer these questions and figure out what's next in a much-changed world. This is the story of individual lives touched by tragedy, and of a nation that was forced to move in a few hours from delusions of invulnerability to belated vigilance.

"Inside 9/11" is produced for the National Geographic Channel by Towers Productions, Inc. Jonathan Towers is the executive producer for Towers Productions. Alex Flaster, Lance Hori, Rachel Milton and Bernie Dudek are producers. Nicole Rittenmeyer is supervising producer. For National Geographic Channel, supervising producer is Collette Beaudry; executive producer is Michael Cascio; executive in charge of production is John Ford.

Visit [url]http://www.inside911.com,[/url] launching August 9, for more information.

Based at National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C., the National Geographic Channel is a joint venture between National Geographic Television & Film (NGT&F) and Fox Cable Networks. National Geographic Channel debuted to an initial 10 million homes in January 2001, and has been one of the fastest growing networks in history. The Channel has carriage with all of the nation's major cable and satellite television providers, making it currently available to 55 million homes.

For more information, please visit http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050708/dcf025.html?.v=13

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-15-2005 09:04 PM

bumping ...this looks like it will be. worth the time to watch

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 08-16-2005 12:51 AM

after the release of the 911 calls this past week the one that
took my breath away was the fireman who radioed he heard and felt the explosion when the first tower came down.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-21-2005 10:46 AM

Bump ....on tonight !!

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-21-2005 12:07 PM

Will watch.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 08-21-2005 12:17 PM

The odds are ten to one that this program --- which I shall watch with the greatest of care --- is nothing more than another load of governmental disinformation and propaganda. The National Geographic, which has not even possessed the honor to reveal the truth about such matters which are legitimately within its purview as the alleged sunken city off the west coast of Cuba, probably will sink even deeper as a fascist propaganda outlet as a result of this program.

But not to worry... Members of the military and the intelligence community --- who are not to be confused with New Age crazed, conspiracy addled loonies --- are starting to come out into the open with irrefutable evidence that the Bush fascist junta, if it did not openly orchestrate 9-11 on its own, consciously aided and abetted 9-11 to solidify its control over the assets of the country. No National Geographic propaganda footage can alter that --- or can alter subsequent historians' awareness of that...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-21-2005 12:20 PM

JQ...yes I am going to be watching both nights with reservations as well. I am more interested in how they cover the Afghan war and how the US funded Bin Laden during that time.

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 08-21-2005 03:07 PM

i was watching a baseball game on fox yesterday, cubs at the rockies, and the promo of the natl geo 9/11 was on the screen in back of home plate many many times during the game. all i could think was how natl geo was going to try and influence american opinion that the govt version of 9/11 is the one and only version.

it was just surprising that this would be advertised on the fox network (ya know - fair and balanced network).

now if we can only geting our voting machines back so that there is a way to track each and every vote maybe we can vote in someone that will do something. the odds are against us because the ones in power make the rules, it's a stacked deck.

andy

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-21-2005 06:56 PM

palosheights wrote:
it was just surprising that this would be advertised on the fox network (ya know - fair and balanced network).
andy

This may be the reason Andy :)

"Based at National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C., the National Geographic Channel is a joint venture between National Geographic Television & Film (NGT&F) and Fox Cable Networks. National Geographic Channel debuted to an initial 10 million homes in January 2001, and has been one of the fastest growing networks in history. The Channel has carriage with all of the nation's major cable and satellite television providers, making it currently available to 55 million homes."

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-22-2005 06:50 AM

After watching Inside 9/11 last night, it is clear this War is exactly what OBL wanted. He knew he couldn't beat us on our soil, but was confident if we took the "war" to him he could win. It would appear so far he is correct.

Also a something that I didn't know because the media filled my head full of crap !! The first WTC bomber Ramzi Youssef was NOT from Iraq, as the government kept pounding into our heads. He was from Pakistan with a forged Iraqi passport !!

I was disappointed that they didn't go farther into the US funding of the OBL for the Afghan war. They made a mention of the CIA providing them with shoulder to air missiles, but they glossed over it.

I found the first 2 hours powerful and will watch the end of it tonight.

PS...Saddam was maybe mentioned ONCE !! Nothing I repeat nothing about him funding anyone for these terrorist attacks, at the WTC either time.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-22-2005 02:15 PM

SETIsLady wrote: After watching Inside 9/11 last night, it is clear this War is exactly what OBL wanted. He knew he couldn't beat us on our soil, but was confident if we took the "war" to him he could win. It would appear so far he is correct.

Also a something that I didn't know because the media filled my head full of crap !! The first WTC bomber Ramzi Youssef was NOT from Iraq, as the government kept pounding into our heads. He was from Pakistan with a forged Iraqi passport !!

I was disappointed that they didn't go farther into the US funding of the OBL for the Afghan war. They made a mention of the CIA providing them with shoulder to air missiles, but they glossed over it.

I found the first 2 hours powerful and will watch the end of it tonight.

PS...Saddam was maybe mentioned ONCE !! Nothing I repeat nothing about him funding anyone for these terrorist attacks, at the WTC either time.

I would agree with your assessment, SLady. While, for some of us, it didn't go far enough, it did go further than I expected. And this first of two parts was the most comprehensive analysis I've seen yet from a mainstream televised media source. JMHO, of course.

And yes, Saddam was mentioned ONCE, and that was in relation to the invasion of Kuwait. What they described was OBL's offer to his family, the Saudi royals, to bring his army, the budding al Qaeda, who were fresh from ousting the Soviets from Afghanistan (with OUR help) to do battle with Saddam to protect Saudi Arabia. They rejected his offer, and as we know, went with DaddyBush instead, an act that OBL deeply resented and that fueled his hatred for America. So, they effectively portrayed OBL and Hussein not as allies, but as enemies, underscoring the FACT that Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9-11.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 08-22-2005 03:20 PM

PROPAGANDA!

I can't wait for part #2 tonight.... :D
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-23-2005 04:54 PM

SETIsLady wrote: It would appear so far he is correct.

What?
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-23-2005 04:55 PM

SETIsLady wrote:

I thought everybody new that.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-23-2005 05:02 PM

Here's what I got out of it. Clinton blew it 4 times. He had him in his sites one time and pulled the plug on the mission because there was a Saudi Prince in the tent with him. WTF? Who cares. Should have blew him away right there on the spot and taken the prince out with him. Would have saved us a lot of trouble.

Politicians suck. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! :mad:

Return to “Media Watch”