If Another Election Is Stolen, Let's Boycott Major US Media

News, information, and comment about 'the media'

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-17-2004 02:01 AM

Even though foreign and military policies of Bush and Kerry are disturbingly similar, a survey of 35 countries shows 30 want Kerry to replace Bush in the White House, and by large margins. This news was received with shock, awe and derision by US celebrity media pundits, who--if they mentioned the poll at all--said its respondents were obviously "ignorant." Characteristically, this poll was totally ignored by TV news.

"Why was it ignored?" you might ask. The answer is that issues as defined, analyzed and disseminated by US corporate media are different than those discussed elsewhere. A strong case can be made, in fact, that, for more than two decades, these media outlets have been intent on tilting our framework for news understanding to the political right. When was the last time you saw academics have a free and open discussion on TV? Thirty years? It's been at least that long since "liberals" (we put the word in quotes to denote its dictionary meaning, because it has become so maligned in public discourse that it no longer connotes that meaning) had significant presence on television and prominence in major newspaper OpEd pages.

"But wait, there's PBS!" you say. But PBS as media relief for intellectuals has been eroding for years to pander for corporate sponsorship ad revenue. And now activist (extremist) right-wingers have been appointed by Bush to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting board of directors, and they are already changing the PBS program content. The new right-wing-dominated board has just added four right-wing shows, and has cut back programming they deem "too left-wing," but which others call "moderate," such as Bill Moyers' "Now."

On the Internet, fortunately, we US citizens have access to reputable news sources around the world, and we are discovering very different news coverage and analyses than we are finding inside the US media bubble.

And what a difference! Other countries' news, for example, forthrightly discusses with horror the tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians disfigured and slaughtered by our 'not so smart' bombs. They reveal the constant and escalating fighting in Iraq, where nervous and outnumbered troops spray bullets instantly, at the least provocation, on very crowded city streets. Because of this large-scale, unprovoked violence by the US and UK occupation army upon mostly innocent people, large anti-war protests throughout Europe have become common, and the European press writes and speaks about these protests as being newsworthy! Imagine that.

It is not foreigners who are the ignorant. Rather, it is the US citizens who are being kept ignorant.

As to why our corporate media has morphed into a Neocon Republican State Media, we will leave that to others to explain.

If the unthinkable happens, and the 2004 national election results cannot be considered valid, what should we do? Instead of engaging in antisocial or disruptive behavior, such as rioting in the streets, we hereby propose a boycott of US mass media as the first step to taking our country back. We can and must bankrupt this news media warp machine.

How? Simple as this: Recognizing that the citizens of this nation will have gotten into this fix because they have been mis-informed, mal-informed, and non-informed by our mainstream media and their repugnant "celebrity pundits," everyone should immediately cancel all subscriptions to cable and satellite TV and to major newspapers, while at the same time subscribing to independent US media sources that we believe have served us well. For news for the duration, we will turn to these independent sources plus the Internet and the foreign press.

Our Boycott of Big US Media would have positive ramifications not only for our country, but for the entire world, because our increased understanding would make us less isolated and better educated. In turn, this would certainly lead to positive changes at home and abroad.

http://baltimorechronicle.com/092704Editorial.shtml

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-17-2004 10:33 AM

Iris,I have already started!

:-)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-17-2004 12:16 PM

All these foreign countries -- WHO are they? Those with their hands out? Those who want to continue to rip off the American good will policies of $$$ for handouts?

It literally has NOTHING to do with these so called foreign countries having better KNOWLEDGE -- it has to do with the ype put forth by their governments - their governments who have their greedy little hands out for -- YUP -- American $$$ handouts. Those foreign countries who have reaped billions of dollars and had that money literally handed over to them -- in loans that - are later forgiven --

How would WE as people in the USA -- like to have the gov't hand over to us - all the billions given -- yes GIVEN - to foreign countries - as LOANS -- then have some president come along and -- "oh you poor people - we forgive your debt to us" -- now how would you all (US citizens) like to have all YOUR loans "forgiven" in that mannerism.

Along comes a president who sayd -- NO - not going to forgive the debts -- you gotta pay them! Nomore loans until you DO pay them. AND no more under the table milking of the sanctions either.. (sanctions to Iraq) --

SO it is quite natural for these so called foreign countries to be "upset" and put forth crappola about our President and want to get someone else who will say-- here you go your debts are forgiven -- how much more money do you want -- our taxpayers will GIVE it to you free -- free money - line up here.. nice little foreign governments....

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 10-17-2004 01:28 PM

From Cherryk

"Along comes a president who sayd -- NO - not going to forgive the debts -- you gotta pay them! Nomore loans until you DO pay them. AND no more under the table milking of the sanctions either.. (sanctions to Iraq) --"

Think this through. Two spending bills for Iraq in the senate:

One requires the US taxpayer to assume twenty billion dollars of Iraq debt... John Kerry voted against that one.

The other spending bill provided that Iraq would retain the debt and pay it from oil sale profit.... John Kerry voted yes on that one but blowmonkey said that he would veto it if passed cuz it would reduce helliburton's profit.

Do you see a bit of a problem here, Cherryk?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2004 01:57 PM

Great post, Iris! This is just where we need to be going. What have you read about the corporate elites taking over the internet/alternate media? The FCC has already allowed corporate dominance to encroach on our airwaves. On October 14th, the FCC approved the BPL measures - (Broadband over Powerlines) - which will allow corporate media to be piped into every home via power lines.

Radio frequencies over power lines will serve to jam all radio signals from outside the US, in effect, cutting us off from Europe and other countries via shortwave radio. There is an immediate rollout of this BPL technology planned for New York City! In addition, ham radio will suffer harmful interference, as well as emergency responders. Corporations are marching ominously on all fronts, to totally subvert our means of communication.

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 10-17-2004 03:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cherry Kelly
All these foreign countries -- WHO are they? Those with their hands out? Those who want to continue to rip off the American good will policies of $$$ for handouts?

INDOlink
News Sunday, October 17, 2004
International News NRI Net
World Simply Doesn’t Like Bush: Survey

New Delhi, Oct. 16 (NNN): There is bad news for United States President George Walker Bush barely weeks before the crucial test of election he faces on November 2.

A joint survey conducted by two British newspapers shows that while most people would like to be friendly towards Americans, the simply resent US policies, particularly those carried out President George Walker Bush.

The independent British daily, The Guardian teamed up with partner newspapers across the world to carry out a public survey of people’s opinion about the United States - its policies, president and the people.

As per the findings of the survey Bush has squandered a wealth of sympathy around the world towards America since September 11, 2001 terror attacks with public opinion in 10 leading countries - including some of its closest allies - growing more hostile to the United States while he has been in office. Voters in eight out of 10 countries, including Britain, want to see the Democrat challenger, John Kerry, defeat Bush in next month’s presidential election.

The only exceptions to this trend are the Israelis - who back Bush 2-1 over Kerry and see the US as their security umbrella - and the Russians who, despite their traditional anti-Americanism, recorded unexpectedly favourable attitudes towards the US in the survey conducted in the immediate aftermath of the Beslan tragedy.

Conducted by 10 of the world’s leading newspapers, including France’s Le Monde, Japan’s Asahi Shimbun, Canada’s La Presse, the Sydney Morning Herald and the Guardian, the survey also shows that on balance world opinion does not believe that war in Iraq has made a positive contribution to the fight against terror.

Survey’s results show that in Australia, Britain, Canada, France, Japan, Spain and South Korea a majority of voters share a rejection of the Iraq invasion, contempt for the Bush administration, a growing hostility to the US and a not-too-strong endorsement of Kerry.

However, they all make a clear distinction between this kind of anti-Americanism and expressing a dislike of American people. On average 68% of those polled say they have a favourable opinion of Americans. The 10-country poll suggests that rarely has an American administration faced such isolation and lack of public support amongst its closest allies.

British results of the poll conducted by ICM research for the Guardian reveal a growing disillusionment with the US amongst the British public, fuelled by a strong personal antipathy towards Bush. The ICM survey shows that if the British had a vote in the US presidential elections on November 2 they would vote 50% for Kerry and only 22% for Bush.

The rejection of Bush is strongest in France where 72% say they would back Kerry but it is also very strong in traditionally very pro-American South Korea, where fears of a pre-emptive US strike against North Korea have translated into 68% support for Kerry.

In Britain the growth in anti-Americanism is not so marked as in France, Japan, Canada, South Korea or Spain where more than 60% say their view of the United States has deteriorated since September 11. But a sizeable and emerging minority - 45% - of British voters say their image of the US has got worse in the past three years and only 15% say it has improved.

There is a widespread agreement that America will remain the world’s largest economic power.

This is underlined by the 73% of British voters who say that the US now wields an excessive influence on international affairs, a situation that 67% see as continuing for the foreseeable future.

A majority in Britain also believe that US democracy is no longer a model for others.

But perhaps a more startling finding from the Guardian/ICM poll is that a majority of British voters - 51% - say that they believe that American culture is threatening their own culture.

This is a fear shared by the Canadians, Mexicans and South Koreans, but it is more usually associated with the French than British. Perhaps the endless television reruns of Friends and the Simpsons are beginning to take their toll.

ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,008 adults aged 18 and over by telephone between September 22-23 2004. Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.

Incidentally Muslim countries are missing from the survey though their inclusion would have made even gloomier reading for the White House. A recent Pew Research Centre poll, for example, showed just 7% of Pakistanis approve of Bush, while 65% have a favourable opinion of Al-Qaeda kingpin Osama bin Laden.

http://www.indolink.com/displayArticleS ... 1504040455

daboodaddy
Pirate

distractions vs. Issues an OP-Ed

Post by daboodaddy » 10-17-2004 03:22 PM

http://www.opednews.com/wade_101604_mary_cheney.htm

This article shows an example, actually several of how the media has made Mary Cheney and her sexuality a weapon to be used against Kerry, just because of his "we are all God's Children... " comment in the last debate.

Personally I think issues are far more important than the Mary Cheney story, but Bush and the controlled/bought media seems to disagree.
Question EVERYTHING, even your OWN thoughts.
A "Daboodaddyism"

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 10-17-2004 03:29 PM

You're right Linnea, the broadband over powerlines will effectively insulate the US from the World's Broadcasts, as most come to us via Shortwave. And as we know, HAM Operators have always been the "canary in the mineshaft" so to speak.HAM Radio will be effectively silenced by this. We will have to listen to internet radio for international news if this becomes nationwide. Desperate measures. I feel like I'm in China, or former USSR.
A "Daboodaddyism"

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-17-2004 04:27 PM

You don't think the internet is going to remain free do you?It will be taxed at some time in the future as well as controlled.It's going to happen regarless of who sits in the big chair.

World government gotta silence any free speech and the spreading of actual news.Europe is already preparing for internet taxes and control.

Oh,by the way,Bush is not in control of Europe,but world government ambitions are and just as there,they will continue here under Kerry

daboodaddy
Pirate

Post by daboodaddy » 10-17-2004 04:37 PM

Beyond, I know even now, the Internet is not free. Many sites recently have been shutdown/censored by the feds. And, yes, probably taxes on the Internet are underway. However if there are any freedom-loving geeks out there, there will be a means for free expression. The Us moniters China's policies for controling the Internet.
But I must have Hope; even though sometimes I think Hope, like so many other things , is an illusion wrought to keep people from blowing their brains out. Yes, I hope, and I act.
A "Daboodaddyism"

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-17-2004 08:28 PM

For the yea-sayers here, keep up the awareness and the good work!

For the nay-sayers and for those with specific fears, I think what's important about this article is that we do still have a FEW sources where we can turn. More importantly, WE have the money, and WE have the power. WE outnumber THEM. As long as we do still have a few choices, it's VERY important that we each realize that we vote with our dollars every day -- and those votes are more powerful than the ones we cast at the ballot box. That's why the suggestions made in this article are so important for us all to grasp and act on.

Cherry K, you changed the subject, but I suppose I should thank you for proving that the article is right.

Linnea, yes I'm a bit aware about the broadband powerlines plans. What do you think can be done about this? What is being done to combat it so far? How can we all help? Wanna start a thread on this? If you build it, we will come, and if you can give us something good to forward to the folks on our email lists, we'll pitch in to help.

Daboodaddy, you're right, and thanks for the link. That is exactly what the media has done with this issue. I'm hoping there are enough Americans who see through this type of baloney that they will make a resounding statement on Nov. 2, essentially telling our corrupt media to shove it.

CB, they've been prattling about taxing the 'net for years, and we know they're working overtime to find a way to do it. None of us have any delusions about that. I think most of us must be about twice your age, and we've "been there done that" for a long time, hon. You frequently bring up really good points, and I hope you keep on doing it -- but please don't assume you're the only one who knows about any of these issues.

As far as things continuing under Kerry -- I doubt anyone here has any delusions about that, either. The first step is to get Bush out. The next step is to watch Kerry like hawks, and make our desires known loud and clear. Along with that, we need to become a LOT more careful about who we elect into other offices. And finally, we need to think about what we're voting for with each dollar we spend, and do the best we can. We DO have the power, as long as we have choices. But when those choices are gone, then what will we do? That's why it's so important that we support those choices right now.
Last edited by Iris on 10-17-2004 08:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 10-17-2004 09:46 PM

Iris - I had a link up on the main Fantastic Forum page for several weeks - for signing on to petitions and comment to the FCC regarding the BPL issue. Many people here rarely visit the main FF page. Also have a link up for the Media Project there.

I like your idea of action campaigns, via email, letters, and economic boycotts and sanctions. We should put up a thread for activists here - to gather information, post lists of contacts, and for feedback. I think we should tailor that thread specifically for issues regarding the media.

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-17-2004 10:00 PM

Iris,I don't assume anything,simply remind people of things,and of course some of these things are opinions.

Actually hun,I was born in 56,making me 48.I never knew there were 96 year old geezers in here.Oh,I do have my idiosyncracies,but I think it just adds a bit of diversity.I eventually grow on people once they get to know me.Well,most people.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 10-17-2004 10:15 PM

Originally posted by CaptainBeyond
I never knew there were 96 year old geezers in here.

I believe I am correct in saying that the oldest geezer on this forum is Mudfather. He is 85.

:D

CaptainBeyond
Pirate

Post by CaptainBeyond » 10-17-2004 10:20 PM

Great,we could probably learn much from the older generation.Unfortunately many of them are not much into computers.Too bad!

Return to “Media Watch”