How does it feel to be American in 2004?

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Poll ended at 09-14-2004 10:15 AM

Heck I’m proud to be American!
33%
I love my country and proud of my Government
10%
I love my country but wish I where a Canadian right now.
14%
I feel ashamed to be American right now.
24%
I’m not really sure how I feel right now.
5%
No comment.
14%

Total votes: 21

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 08-14-2004 10:11 AM

We’re a pretty open bunch of pirates on FF so I would like to conduct a small poll.
I have never in my life done a poll this being my first will be interesting. And give me a deeper understanding of my friends across the pond. My thought’s I don’t think American people at large have anything to be ashamed of it’s really out of your control what’s going on in the bug wide dangerous world. I think most level headed thinkers around the world would agree with me on that.

Sinner
Pirate

Post by Sinner » 08-14-2004 10:21 AM

Feels great!

Best feeling in the world to be an American.Freedom is a beutiful thing.

And I dont much care what other Countries think of us,They should be concerned what America thinks of them.
-Sinner

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 08-15-2004 09:49 PM

6 billion people should be concerned about what 300 million people think of them. OK, fine.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-16-2004 03:12 AM

You don't have an option that fits me, Alien. It would read something like this: "I love my country with a fierce passion, and have always been proud of her, but I am ashamed of the words and actions of those who are our 'leaders' at the moment."
Image Anchors Aweigh!

NeelyGirl
Pirate

Post by NeelyGirl » 08-16-2004 08:13 AM

I'm actually pretty proud to be an American. I don't have to wear a flag themed skirt or have a flag magnet on my truck...but I am proud. I'm not always happy with what our leaders are up to....but I always wonder when people "bash" America...or say the rest of the world "hates" us... If that were true why are some people willing to DIE and give up entire lives to come here?

Because as "bad" as it may be here at times...I do believe it is a literal hell in other countries.
Wiggle your big toe.

biggmixx
Pirate

Post by biggmixx » 08-16-2004 08:17 AM

I love America!! Its funny how these countries say they hate us but they continue to take the money we offer in support every year!
"Changes aren't permanent, but change is." ~ Rush

LadyAmari
Pirate

Post by LadyAmari » 08-16-2004 10:37 PM

I'm glad I live in this country as opposed to other countries on the planet, but saying I 'love' it is a bit overstepping my feelings (I have a whole tirade stored up somewhere regarding the overuse of the word 'love,' but I'll save that for another day. ;)). I would have to say I'm grateful I live here rather than, say, Pakistan, but I am a bit tired of the corruption from within and imposition that this country makes upon other countries on this planet.

Comedian Lewis Black mentioned at one point that America's government is kind of like the jerk at the office that goes around with his chest puffed out saying, "I'm the greatest guy here!! You should all bow to me in my greatness!" (paraphrased to remove explitives and keep it G-rated... ;)) As he mentioned, after about a week of that crap, everyone else would "Rise up and slay him." I don't blame people for despising the United States' foreign policy. I think it's stupid, too.

I've noticed that the Greek people tend to have the correct attitude for America, for the most part. They have disdain for its policies, but they are exceptionally friendly and open towards its people. I wish the rest of the planet would follow their example. It's not my fault this country's government is full of nincompoops. :D

The problem is, there is no perfect country. Every country on this planet has varying degrees of corruption and suppression. I'm here at this time because I prefer this little corner of the planet to most other places I could be. But I certainly do not love it. It's just a matter of taking the bad with a grain of salt and trying to make at least your little corner a bit less gray.

tansi
Pirate

Post by tansi » 08-17-2004 12:21 AM

LadyAmari wrote: "I'm the greatest guy here!! You should all bow to me in my greatness!" ... after about a week of that crap, everyone else would "Rise up and slay him."
I have also seen way too many citizens doing the same thing, in subtle and not so subtle ways. Keep your eyes open next time you are on vacation in Canada or Mexico, and notice how many fellow American travelers treat others - in their own countries! There is a lot of the kind of attitude you allude to in this post. They flap the flag in people's faces, demand change in US dollars, and when there is a tiny problem or are denied a favor, they rant and rave "... I'm an American!" ... like being born in the US is some kind of pass to special treatment. Not all tourists act this way, in fact most don't, but those who do are particularly memorable.

Leadership flows from the top down, yes, but it also flows from the bottom up. Attitudes of leaders are all too often a clear reflection of the attitudes of their people.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 08-17-2004 12:26 AM

Alien_UK. Did you vote?
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Lauren
Pirate

Post by Lauren » 08-17-2004 09:47 PM

I'm VERY proud to be an American! I'm glad we can help out those millions of Iraqis, too:) :) :)
PLEASE FIX YOUR EMAIL
ITS BOUNCING !!!!!!!!!!

pyrite
Pirate

Post by pyrite » 08-17-2004 11:44 PM

I am ok with being an american, but ...our 'politickin' has gotten me down...i would like to move to canada, live on a remote mountain and ...oh wait a min...those remote mountain canadians are gonna be gettin the big deep freeze before too long...on second thought , i will stay here in texas, and just hang on to my hat so to speak(you know...tornados and other fun stuff to deal with)...and wait it out...politics and texas weather are kinda the same...miserable for the most part, but if you stick around long enough...it will change:cool: :rolleyes:

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 08-18-2004 02:12 PM

I'm grateful to live in this country, and I'm glad to be an American. Proud is a word for when I've earned something.

I value our form of government and I believe in our leadership, not without questioning but it's better than the opposition.

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 08-20-2004 09:48 AM

I'm proud of the founders of the US, and of the ideals embedded in our government.

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 08-20-2004 03:41 PM

Hello I’m back! Well some very good feed back interesting. I will tell you some times I feel bad to be English but only some times.

BenSlain how could I vote I’m simply not American.:)

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”