Rare Earth

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Rare Earth

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 04:26 AM

"... as Ward and Brownlee tell it in Rare Earth, our star is not an ordinary star at all. Our sun is far from typical: 95% of all the stars in the universe are less massive than our sun. Our sun, and our solar system, are also unusual in their high metal content. Our Earth just happens to be a suitable distance from the Sun so that life could evolve. Thanks in large part to the presence of Jupiter (not too close and not to far) our planet has a fairly low comet/asteroid impact rate – Jupiter, it seems, helps to sweep out some of the cosmic garbage that might otherwise be headed our way. Thanks to the Moon, another cosmic body not too far and not too close, and whose size is also highly unusual compared to the moons of others, the tilt of our planet has been stabilized. The temperature of the planet has enjoyed a relative stability over long periods. We have a stable orbit, tides, plate tectonics, continental drift, linear mountain chains, water in a liquid state, enough oxygen to enable animal life. And to talk about these things is not even to mention the “Snowball earth” events (planetary glaciations) that seemed to precede each major appearance of life – that of the Eukaryotes (circa 2.5 billion years ago) and the so-called “Cambrian explosion” of ~550 million years ago.

These are just the main features of the history of our Earth which Ward and Brownlee do such a good job of describing. Their thesis, succinctly stated, is that primitive or microbial life may be common in the universe, but the same cannot be said for animal life. : “The formation and evolution of the physical Earth . . . required an intricate set of nearly irreproducible circumstances,” in particular, where higher animal and human life are concerned.

In reading this book, the daring thought arises that maybe what is happening on Earth is the only place where it – where anything – is happening. Maybe our human task is develop historical consciousness for the Earth itself. To accept that this Earth is the unique habitat of life is the essential first step in gaining a new appreciation as well for human life.

A deeper appreciation for human life is a necessity for an ethic of stewardship. The sense for human destiny opposes the trivialization of man, a trivialization that feeds the dogma of consumption, consumption, and consumption. For trivialization – arrogance – and obliviousness -- all go together. It is not just hydrocarbon energy that feeds the economic machine. It is the “energies” of philosophy, of one’s world-view, that comprise the realities of the soul. We need to attend to these “philosophical energies” to develop a stewardship ethic that will maintain our planet as the home of life in the universe."

http://www.energybulletin.net/1492.html

amazon book link

tiffany
Pirate

Re: Rare Earth

Post by tiffany » 08-09-2004 10:51 AM

Linnea wrote: "... . We need to attend to these “philosophical energies” to develop a stewardship ethic that will maintain our planet as the home of life in the universe."

http://www.energybulletin.net/1492.html

amazon book link

So true Linnea, so true. Very good article thank you for posting it.

From the above link:

"This combination of ideas – the “Principle of Mediocrity” which teaches the insignificance of the Earth – and its implications leading to a trivialization of human life, has proved to be very destructive in its economic applications. The economy has indeed become something like a machine which trivializes human destiny in order to turn people into consumers. "

Ah yes, I can see the devisiveness for monetary gain in this world of greed and power. It is all around us. We need to see the beauty of our landscape, the scent of a flower, the white fluffyness of a cloud, to really know how important we are and that this wonderous home is ours. They (the ptb) are attempting to get us to deny the beauty that we live on, to take our attention away from both the Earth and our importance here. This for the sake of consumerism, this, the wanting of the greedy, power broker elite. They enjoy all their money can buy them of this Earths joys. While we struggle buying their products, supplying them the resouces to enjoy our earth, they are trying to get us to ignore it's beauty so we will pay their way. They sit on a beautiful island beach or a wonderous magical mountain oasis. We have paid for their enjoyment.

Do they think we are that stupid that they lead us with rings in our nose. They wish us to think we are nothing. But I see many are detached from our earth because they are so busy making a living. Some are doing exactly what they want us to do. However there are still plenty of us that see, feel, and enjoy the beauty around us on our home Earth. They cannot take that from us. It belongs to all who live here not just the elite. We must seek to protect what we have by every means possible.

I have said so many times why do they protray us as the underdog, the less important. Aliens are so much more advanced, smart, etc., they say. We are just ants on a planet of not much significance.

We are the jewel of our Milky Way. Look how beautiful this orb is from space. None other in our solar systems reaches it's standards in beauty and livability. Those UFO's must think so they are always visiting. I would say we are the vacation capitol of the Universe!
Last edited by tiffany on 08-09-2004 11:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Joolz
Pirate

Re: Rare Earth

Post by Joolz » 08-09-2004 02:40 PM

Linnea wrote: A deeper appreciation for human life is a necessity for an ethic of stewardship.

Yes. I would, however, amend the above statement by replacing the word "human" with "all." If we are to truly fulfill the role of humankind as stewards of this planet, I feel that we must not place the value of human life above that of the rest of the web, for the animals and plants that we share this beautiful blue planet with are a huge part of that stewardship. The ethic of stewardship must recognize that all life is interconnected and imbued with spirit. It is ALL sacred. We must be mindful of that if we are to succeed. We may be the "brain" of the body of the planet, but the brain cannot survive without its blood, its bones, its nervous system, and all the cells of its body working together to sustain the whole.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 03:42 PM

Excellent point, Joolz - and I am surprised the commentator missed this. He/she did say: "to accept that this Earth is the unique habitat of life is the essential first step in gaining a new appreciation as well for human life". Also, one of the points of the commentary seems to be that 'life' may be elsewhere in the universe - and, higher animal and human life forms - may be unique to Earth due to it's very unique positioning in this solar system. This would confer a higher level of responsibility on the 'human' life forms to protect and nourish all life that has its being in Earth/Solar system/Galaxy.

You are exactly right, and this acceptance of Earth and ALL its expression of being - is the essence of where we need to be in order to survive.

In the expression of life on the planet, the most pure and innocent of us are the animals, and especially plant life. Plants have the unique postion - most of them anyway - of uniquely expressing life forms without the burden of being 'red in tooth and claw'.

Aye, Joolz - and we should learn to commune with the 'little folk' as well - as they are so much closer to nature and husband it well...
;)

Midsummer's Eve - 1908
(Edward Robert Hughes)

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-09-2004 04:03 PM

Thanks, Linn! I love that painting, BTW, and have it as a desktop theme, too. :D I agree with all you said. I read a book about the Findhorn gardens in the late 70s, and took the wisdom I found there to heart. My own gardens are a testament to my own work in this area... thanks again. :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 08-09-2004 04:21 PM

I love to garden and have flowers and veggies too. I live in an area that is forested and beautiful. My sense is that yes we are all connected. All have spirit and energy on this earth...

I love to be outdoors and soak up the scenery. When I used to work in the city I used to drive 3 hours to just be out here in the Country and walk by myself. I love to sit in a meadow in Yosemite and soak up the energy. I went there when divorce was raging several years ago and it had such a calming affect. Our Earth, plants, flowers, rocks, mountains, streams, rivers, ocean, all beaming with energy. Yes it is a gift we must hold sacred.

Animals yes animals. My tiffany is still in the hospital and it did not look good this weekend when I first reported. Today things are looking somewhat better. She is so much a part of our family as others here know regarding their precious animals and birds. So are the deer and fawns and other animals so prevelent in our area. We are surely blessed.
Last edited by tiffany on 08-09-2004 04:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Sacred Meadows

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 04:37 PM

Your gardens in Sacred Meadows are beautiful and it is apparent that much love and light sparkle there! I too, was completely enchanted by Findhorn. It was a pivotal, life changing threshold for me. I spoke with people who had traveled there to see the wonders of Findhorn. It was a real 'happening'! ;) Another favorite was the book by Tompkins - The Secret Life of Plants. Also saw 'the movie' - which was kinda weird and not as inspiring as 'the book'. Have a small garden here, but there is much more to do to invite the nature spirits here. :)

My friend, since childhood - Howard, who lives in Michigan - is an artist who has the ability to 'almost see' the wee folk - in orbs of light and the dancing breezes. He paints and draws his visions. Here is one of his paintings - Fairie Dance:

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 04:43 PM

Tiff - sending a wave of healing energy for your beautiful Tiffany. I hope many more here will do as well. We used to get together as a group and do this. Many of us sent healing mind waves for Art and Ramona's cat - Abbey. She was healed from a very grave illness. Hoping all the best for your dear beast as well.

You know - it would be such a terrific thing to post so much more here on FF about our wonderful plants and animals. If you have pictures to share, maybe we could all send them in to DaleCee - and he could make us a Gallery in the FF Gallery section. Let's do it! I'll bet he would make a wonderful gallery for us.

We need a special thread here, in the Blue Planet too...This beautiful planet and all its creatures need so much light.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-09-2004 05:32 PM

Tiff... I'm sending healing energy for your dear friend and family member. I'm so sorry to hear that she is ill. :(

Linn, I think it is a great idea to have a gallery for such photos! I would be willing to contribute a few. :D And yes, I think a special place on the the forum for talking about our plant and animal friends would be great, too. I think there are many pirates here who are in agreement with our feelings on this.

I also have 'The Secret Life of Plants,' and yes, it is also an awesome book. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

Thanks for sharing your friend Howard's work with us! Beautiful!

As far as the work involved in inviting the nature spirits into your garden... they are already there, my friend. Just talk to them and listen for them to answer... :) The answer could be something as simple as the rustle of leaves in the wind, the chirp of a cricket or a trill of birdsong, the flash of a butterfly flitting lazily by, or the sudden touch of a cool breeze against your skin... but I do believe they will hear and answer you. They are are all around us--even here in the cities--so you don't have to invite them in, just let them know that you wish to be invited in to their world and they will respond with appreciation for your request. :) I don't mean to be telling you things you may well already know...I just wanted to share with you what has been my own experience in this realm. :)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

cherry
Pirate

Rare Earth

Post by cherry » 08-09-2004 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Linnea

We should learn to commune . . . .

Yes, and thanks for Midsummer's Eve
painted by Edward Robert Hughes
in 1908. Music softly plays in the
background. Adagio in G minor by
Samuel Barber.

:o
Last edited by cherry on 08-09-2004 09:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 09:31 PM

It is a wonderous painting, Cherry. I have a small print of it on my dresser, but found this on the 'net to share. :) In a way, I feel we have all been communing in spirit, in this woodland glen with the little folk.

If we have pictures to send in to Dale, his email address is in his profile. I'll email him and ask him if he will put up a Gallery for us.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-09-2004 10:12 PM

Linnea wrote: ...If we have pictures to send in to Dale, his email address is in his profile. I'll email him and ask him if he will put up a Gallery for us.
CGO Dale, reporting for duty. Send them on. Either addy's OK-
[email protected]
or
[email protected]

This Earth of ours is a very unique and beautiful spot in the universe. Cause to Celebrate. :D

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 08-09-2004 10:25 PM

Thank you Linnea and Joolz for your healing wishes for Tiffany I'm sure they will help. What a great idea to have a thread on plants and animals. Spike has his hummingbird but forgot what thread it was in. But great idea Linnea. I'm not able to scan pictures at this time but will work on it.

Something I had been missing for a long time being where I live, (now for about 10 years), were butterflies. Oh my gosh this year I have seen my favorites on a daily basis. The Swallowtail and the Monarch and a couple of other varieties. It makes me so happy to see them come and visit and they fly right near where I'm standing. They are so beautiful along with the Dragon Flies. Lots that I had not seen in years. May be because of where I physically live now but so nice to see. Been in this location for a few months.

And the other day, I was talking to a neighbor outside and I saw a shadow of something on the lawn in front of me. It was the size of a butterfiy go over my head and I kinda ducked. I asked the neighbor what just flew low over my head as I was turning to see and he said it's a feather. Sure enough it was a white feather and it gracefully floated until it came to rest on my front door's roof. I said hmmm is this a sign. Wonder what it was telling me. Nature tends to talk to us.
Last edited by tiffany on 08-09-2004 10:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 08-09-2004 11:37 PM

Thanks, Dale. :) Maybe Joolz could start a beautiful thread for us here, in the Blue Planet section.

Sounds like you are indeed favored by the flora and fauna, Tiffany. Everything has meaning, and the white feather gracing your home must be auspicious.

Joolz - your wise words gave me much to think about. :) and, I thank you. It was a message that is more timely than you know.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 08-12-2004 06:02 AM

Thinking good thoughts for Tiff's Tiffany.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”