Global Consciousness and Peace

Moving toward Type One civilization...

Moderator: Super Moderators

LisaA
Pirate

Global Consciousness and Peace

Post by LisaA » 11-12-2003 07:26 PM

Obviously, the best way for the world to get along would be to own our problems and communicate, and in a conflict, work out a solution rather than going to war.

On a more local note, I get the idea from the local holistic health publications that there is only one option for the future: Peace and love for all, no matter how they respond.

However, in my teachings I learned that mercy untempered is weakness.

In a peaceful world of the future, what will happen in a terrorist attack?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-12-2003 09:17 PM

However, in my teachings I learned that mercy untempered is weakness.
This has stuck in my mind for hours... and I don't disagree... but with what is mercy to be tempered in order to be a strength? That seems, to me, to be the bigger unanswered question looming in that teaching. I don't mean that as some question you have to answer, Lisa... just musing out loud.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

theWAVE
Pirate

Post by theWAVE » 11-14-2003 06:17 AM

Good question Maryals...
and i don't have the answer either', and just reading your post my knee jerk reaction is... hmmm let me think a moment..
If someone who has done harm to others, and you knew this at the time' when you had them confronted with a gun, lets say, and their intent was to harm you next.. and you let them go, for the sake of mercy on your part.. and they went and harmed someone the next day' (i am trying to remember this scenario) .. you asked would you be responible for their mis deeds'...
Hmmm - i ask' are we are brothers keeper'?.. would we as a soul in lesson here on the planet, suffer a major setback, if we took it upon ourself to stop that person from harming others.. by putting a bullet in them at the time.
Well- the books that i've been reading lately' Kay Scarepetta' would nail the bastard' with a high velocity silver tip right in the heart. :)
me' i wonder if i could kill someone, but i may aim for the crouch' :):rolleyes:
>> oh God what thread am i in... :eek:

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 11-14-2003 07:39 PM

Such great responses, thank you!!

mercy untempered is weakness...I think what tempered it would be the kind of goodness that does justice. If someone is going to attack me, and it's them or me, I need to have strength and preparedness. I would want to make them feel like they have just made a mistake. I would not want to be emotionally upset by them, not extremely so anyway.

the other side of that equation is, strength untempered becomes cruelty. I wouldn't want to be cruel, there's too much of that.

Do you think we'll ever get straight on the difference between standing up for ourselves and expecting to destroy opposition? Even that sounds a little scary. We'll all end up beige, won't we?

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-14-2003 11:29 PM

Great posts here... great discussion. I'm gonna chew on this topic for a while more, but I'll be back... ;)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

T77
Pirate

Post by T77 » 11-14-2003 11:39 PM

Blind opposition fueled by insensibility is our nature. The logical thing to do would be to truly support one another for the benefit of all. But I don’t see that happening, exploiting humanity is the norm among all cultures of the world. Until the social norm of ALL humanity is changed our future is one of tyranny or destruction. I don’t see many warm fuzzies looking at the world today, A world wide change of heart would be required and fast.
Glossary of Mental Illness Terminology
a.. Delusion: fixed, irrational ideas not shared by others and
not responding to reasoned argument.
b.. Grandiose delusion: a delusion in which subject believes
himself possessed of great wealth, intellect, importance,
power, etc.

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 11-15-2003 12:04 PM

Yes, exactly. I agree. Humanity still has animal behavior, only with our abiltity to rationalize, we can do things worse than any animal can do.

A worldwide change of heart could happen fast if some horrible event happened and all of us lost what we hold dear and were barely able to survive unless we helped one-another. OR, we took the best of what we're learning and spread it around--that would take more time. OR, we all began to define what we have in common, and set aside special places and times, with volunteers doing the work, of wrestling out the particulars. We'd have to stop blaming. We'd have to stop letting our fear of pain/discomfort stop us from changing. We'd have to clarify the worth of human life and agree to it. There are too many of us who believe our beliefs must be taken to the rest of the world for it to be a good place.

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 11-15-2003 12:20 PM

Perception!?!
Which soul is more important?

zwen
Pirate

Post by zwen » 11-15-2003 09:00 PM

No soul is ever lost.

Rozmund
Pirate

My thoughts on Mercy

Post by Rozmund » 12-06-2003 04:48 PM

Mercy is not to be bestowed lightly - only to those who will benefit by love and compassion of the the person/s opting for mercy rather than punishment. Some perpetrators of "actions horibilus" can only learn through punishment or tough love as has been evidenced in parenting..while others who fully realize their error and the negative consequence of their act - can benefit from the act of mercy - perhaps more than the act of punishment. To go a step further, mercy without forgiveness is still a power play - I do not believe on a one to one basis that mercy received will ever be forgotten, and that yes, at some point in one's life there can be the maturity to pass it along to where it will do good. Usually the story goes like this - "I was where you are in life, and if it hadn't been for a certain person, I could be in a mess but he/she showed compassion and understanding where none was merited, so I do understand you and you can overcome what you are or what you have done..if you are willing to change your ways. This means learning a life lesson from the mistake.

A seed tossed on stone is still a seed. A seed tossed on fertile earth will grow and be of benefit to all.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 12-07-2003 07:12 AM

In a small community, like the one where I live, I have found that it is important to maintain an occasional diet of crow and even to politely apologize for things I have been "rumored" to do but did not.

This keeps me humble, and means I can walk the short way to wherever I'm going instead of having to duck around the block because I see a perceived nemisis on the other side of the street.

Oddly enough, I find this does not hurt a bit, contrary to my initial expectations.;)

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-09-2003 11:18 PM

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions to this thread! :)

True world peace is going to depend on a lot of change, and a lot of education, and it will have to contend with ideas like Jihad. Love would need to be championed far above hate. That's not going to happen without the help of the worldwide news media, and schools, which are largely government controlled.

As to your scene with the attacker, there's a huge difference between self-defense and pre-emptive aggression. Unfortunately, we don't see this lesson being endorsed by our own government.

Last edited by Iris on 12-10-2003 12:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 12-11-2003 06:07 PM

I think love is thought to be all about mercy, mildness and kindness. There's a huge gap between say, me and my willingness to love and show mercy, and the ability of someone else to recognize love and receive it. The people who need love the most are probably not concerned with it. They're focused elsewhere, on dire needs or on twisted habits and drives.

My Gramma would let my cousin get away with enormous amounts of garbage, always excusing it with, "I love him." She did love him, and she gave love to him but what it looked like to him was opportunity. He was kind of in lizard-brain mode--all he wanted was enough food and shelter not to die, and then drugs-lots of drugs.

See, here's a point you may debate, but here goes: Even Jesus said he came here to bring a sword.

If we love the world, this line of reasoning goes, we will foster what is worthy: effort, honesty, giving, etc. And we will not tolerate that which is destructive.

What do you say about that line of reasoning??

Aloha
Pirate

Post by Aloha » 12-12-2003 01:23 AM

Since something like this is not about to happen..any time soon. why worry about it....on the other hand....you use the least amount of force possible....it's better to take a knee than a life...

Man will never be totally peacefull, because life requires aggression...all life animal or vegtable is aggressive.... it's a part of the life force, and it's part of creativity... without it mankind will decay and wither away..

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 12-13-2003 10:52 PM

maryals wrote: I have at gunpoint, or knife point, someone that I know has done harm to others and was about to attack me.
Now, if I show mercy, perhaps this person will change their ways, will be so touched by my mercy that mercy becomes their way of life.
OR this person, to whom I've shown mercy, I put down my knife or gun, he runs away and then, the very next day, harms someone else.
Now, HERE'S a question for you, am I responsible for every one that person harms after I had let him go, "in the name of mercy"?

Here is something I was sent at Halloween, but perhaps it is appropriate for us to review these safety measures from time to time? (We'd all rather not be caught in the above predicament.)

A HALLOWEEN PUBLIC SAFETY SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Don't assume the telephone calls are coming from another house.

When it appears that you have killed the monster, NEVER check to see if it's really dead.

Don't go into the basement to check the power when the lights go
out.

If your children speak to you in Latin, Sanskrit, or any other language which they should not know, shoot them immediately. Although this seems harsh, it will save you a lot of grief in the long run. Note that it will take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared. This also applies to kids who speak with somebody else's voice.

As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open a portal to Hell.

If you wake up from a particularly horrific dream and find yourself
still alive, you probably aren't awake yet.

Always believe the kid. Even if the kid has lied before, even if you
think that the kid has been watching too much TV -- believe the kid.

If you're searching for something which caused a loud noise and find out that it's just the cat, don't stand there sighing with relief -- GET OUT!

If appliances start operating by themselves, don't check for short
circuits; JUST GET OUT!

The weirdo is always the one who saw this coming.

Do not take anything from the dead.

Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're really sure you know what you're doing.

If trees, TVs, or other objects try to consume your children, save as many kids as you can and then get out of the area.

Never, ever, make fun of the "odd" kid.

Don't go camping.

If at any time the house or place you're staying in asks you to get out - Get out! DON'T argue.

If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at
least twice; more if you are of the female persuasion and/or wearing high heels. If you turn and look back, and you don't see the maniac/spirit/demon/creature chasing you, stop and run immediately back the way you came because the maniac/spirit/demon/ creature is now in front of you.

Listen to the dying person. They have the best ideas.

If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic
behavior such as hissing, fascination for blood, glowing eyes,
increasing hairiness, etc., kill them immediately.

If your car runs out of gas at night on a lonely road, and you think
it strange because you were sure you had half of a tank, shoot
yourself. You are going to die anyway, and will most likely be eaten.

Never speak to clowns in sewers. (That one's for George Noory.)

Castles are not normally found in the American Midwest. Be wary.

Beware of strangers bearing strange tools; for example: chainsaws, power tools, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, lawnmowers, butane torches, soldering irons, band saws, laser pistols, Allodium Q-36 explosive space modulators, or any devices made from deceased companions. Also, be wary of anyone driving a combine.

~~~

Sorry -- sometimes I just can't help myself! :D
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Return to “Awakening of global consciousness”