Letters From The Front

War, News and Stories of Iraq

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Letters From The Front

Post by mudwoman » 07-06-2003 05:21 PM

(Please see first letter posted: >Iraq > USMC "Lessons Learned", Operation Iraqi Freedom and >Iraq > * Heavy Sigh)

The NCO makes 7 points. All are solid. If you only read one or two may I suggest you please at least read point 7.

(Automatically edited by FF)

06-19-2003

Leadership and Logistical Failures Hurt Troops

Editor's Note: The following memo was sent from a senior NCO in the 3rd Infantry Division still serving in Iraq. Certain details have been omitted to protect his identity.

To: Col. David H. Hackworth

Subj: Leadership Failures in Iraq

I am a senior enlisted soldier in the Army, and I have a few points of view I would like to discuss in this forum with the intentions of confirming or alleviating some misnomers that I have seen communicated recently.

I would first like to both confirm and dispel some of the misunderstandings concerning logistics in Operation Iraqi Freedom. It is absolutely true that the logistical portion of the campaign was the biggest downfall both in planning and execution. The biggest travesty is, while there was an obvious miscalculation of what it would take to support us on the battlefield, there was little to no evident planning for sustaining the soldiers upon completion of the main war effort. Here are some prime examples that cannot be disputed by any twist of fact or camouflaging by the "spin doctors" in public relations:

1. We crossed the line of departure [from Kuwait] and finished the missions in a pretty much "as is" state of readiness with our vehicles. We did not receive a single piece of parts support for our vehicles during the entire battle. If a vehicle went down we had to cross-level parts from a more seriously damaged or mission incapable vehicle. We brought common replacement parts as part of our basic load configuration but they were limited due to the amount of vehicles and the limited carrying space. Now the [supply] system is turned on, but with the amount of soldiers in theatre and the subsequent amount of equipment that require repairs, not a single repair part has made to our vehicles to date. (This system applies to the units that have received follow on missions to places like Fallujah.)

2. The primary method of policing up broken equipment, on the battlefield and in enemy territory, was self-recovery. This meant that if you did not have tow capability between vehicles, you had very little chance of being moved forward to a maintenance control point, and you were forced to transfer personnel from one vehicle to another and abandon the broken vehicle. When it was all said and done, my unit had abandoned around 12 vehicles and transferred the soldiers to others in very cramped riding conditions.

This did two things detrimental to combat effectiveness. It overcrowded the vehicles that we fought from, thus reducing our ability to effectively defend or attack as warranted. It also provided a possibility of greater soldier casualties if the vehicle took and RPG round or other significant attack. To our amazement, our people made it to our objective, but others did not. I firmly believe that the conditions I just described contributed to the loss and injury of soldiers on the battlefield.

3. During operations, it seemed impossible to maintain our necessary supplies of water and food. We all carried five days of supply with us at LD with the intent of utilizing it only in an "emergency" situation. The problem being that because our logistics lines were so poor, we had to break into them during the trip rather than in an established emergency situation. One of the biggest reasons for this is the mismanagement of the haul assets available for the support of the operation. The logisticians were forced to make a decision, haul food and water on their limited hauling assets, or haul ammunition and parts. With the continuous "Go! Go! Go!" mentality of our movement to Baghdad, I guess it was more important to continue the fight.

4. We had a very elaborate plan of attack going into the operation. However, we failed to realize that the enemy had a vote in how exactly we were going to conduct our operation and the changes to the plan that they could affect. We, as we planned, would "take Baghdad in a matter of days" and were told that "There is no expected contact for a significant piece of our movement." We were even told not to place a round into our weapons when we LD'd because "We won't see the enemy for quite sometime." and "will have plenty of time to react." The intent was that this would reduce the risks of a "negligent discharge or fratricide incidents." Well, we know what the truth is: We received ambush and guerilla warfare tactics from almost the very beginning.

Don't get me wrong, all of our soldiers were very well trained and they reacted well to contact. We didn't lose soldiers as a result of this oversight, but I wonder how many support or follow-on units made the same mistake and weren't quite as well prepared?

5. The movement to the objectives was pure chaos. It was poorly orchestrated and executed. I was witness to several vehicle accidents, where soldiers lost their lives, that were a direct result of the "Go! Go! Go!" mentality. Units were getting separated by their inability to maintain convoy continuity due to the extremely dusty conditions, better known as "brown out," and the sheer number of vehicles traveling the exact same path. I cannot adequately put to words the absolute confusion caused by the movement north. The tanks and Bradleys were not stopping for anything, and that very mentality caused several problems. Imagine having only soft-skinned vehicles, small caliber firearms, overcrowded vehicles, no communications ability (except internal to your immediate group), and hearing sporadic transmissions of ambushes and close contact firefights. That is exactly what many units had to endure and it cost soldiers their lives. (I can think of a certain maintenance support unit that made the news.)

6. Once the objectives were reached and seized, we established our operations within Baghdad and started the humanitarian effort. The supply lines have yet to come into fruition and simplicities such as bottled water have yet to make their appearance on a consistent basis. We have had no potable ice since our arrival. I have personally been forced to buy ice from the Iraqis so that my soldiers were not drinking hot water day in and day out. It is bad enough that they have been forced to drink water that tastes like it came straight from a swimming pool (because of the sanitization process). Don't get me wrong - bottled water is showing up, but not with anything that can be remotely considered consistent.

We are steadily providing bottled water to the citizens of Iraq though, and you can bet your next paycheck that anyone who is of any rank that allows them to work on a brigade or higher level staff position hasn't had to drink warm sanitized water lately. As a matter of fact, I have witnessed several "higher ups" in my particular unit with private shower facilities, private porta-johns, and ice chests full of bottled water and potable ice in their immediate work areas while their subordinates (meaning the soldiers) are struggling every day to get a cold bottle of water. These very same senior soldiers are living in an air conditioned room while their soldiers are trying, in vain, to keep mosquitoes from consuming them nightly, and using hoses from an Iraqi latrine stall to get water enough to maintain their hygienic needs.

7. 3ID, in particular, 2BCT is now conducting operations in Fallujah and its surrounding area to "rid that area of Ba'ath Party loyalists and make the area safe for the citizens." Bull****! We are conducting operations in Fallujah to rid the United States of a political black eye that we have received in the world of public opinion. Now we have to control their citizens, they are the very same citizens that are throwing rocks at passing soldiers, ambushing them, and sniping them. We are spending millions to provide fuel and propane and facilities to people that spit in our direction the second the stop waving. We are patrolling their streets, executing raids, and checking everywhere in an attempt to rid the community of those that are influencing the behavior of the masses. (All of these operations are being conducted in vehicles that have not received any repair parts since our original LD) I have no idea if this is working, but I do know that we have provided these people with countless creature comforts that are not being provided to the soldiers throughout the theater. Sure there are some soldiers that are receiving air conditioning, electricity, and bottled water with their hot meals. These soldiers are the exception to the rule, not the rule. There are soldiers, to this day, that live in squalor.

I can only ask that these points be made available to everyone. I am sure that many have no idea about what their husbands, sons, wives, and daughters - their soldiers - are going through or have gone through.

We have been America's war-fighters, we have liberated a country from conditions that are indescribable, and in return we are being kept here and are living in conditions that we liberated the Iraqis from. How is it that the people that fought and spilled blood on this soil against Iraqi forces are now given the responsibility of providing them comfort and humanitarian aid?

There are many units here that were brought here specifically to replace us and no replacement is being conducted. We have done our job and have done it well, we have fulfilled our obligation to this operation, but we are still here and are still being mistreated and misled. When does it end? Do we continue to keep the liberators of Iraq here so they can continue to lose soldiers periodically to snipers and ambushes? My unit has been here since September and they have no light at the end of the tunnel. How many of my soldiers need to die before they realize that we have hit a wall? We are ordered to stay and ordered to continue the mission, but at what cost? Doesn't the soldier count for anything?

It is an absolute travesty that our leaders allow politics and public opinion to betray the heroes of this great nation. I was once the greatest voice for the command and our leaders, now I am a defeated leader who is forced to support without question and lie to my soldiers so that they can maintain a forced motivation. We have been told to "suck it up, get through it, and execute." With leadership like that, what else can we do?

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 07-09-2003 08:24 PM

The appropriate heads should roll for this!! :mad:

Could Col. David H. Hackworth (or someone not in the service) set up a form on a web site where we can all add our names to letters being sent to congress screaming about all of this? We could get tons of signatures in no time!

Then to top it off, there's the all-Republican radio blaring out that we should support our troups, while Bush and company cut their benefits and invite the enemy to take pot shots at them. Unbelievable insanity.

When are our leaders going to support our troups???

How about the Vietnam and Gulf War ones?

I feel a draft coming on -- because the time will come when nobody wants to sign up. Incredible.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-10-2003 06:39 PM

06-11-2003

Army Captain Sounds Off

I'm taking command of of a company soon. I would much rather have a line company, but I don't get much of a choice on this one. Yep, I'd rather be out playing in the field on a tank any day than sitting around a base camp doing who knows what. We just occupied an airfield by force. It's much nicer than our old location (dirt field) because it has pavement and not nearly as much sand blowing in everything from our clothes to our equipment. Its not fun sleeping in a sleeping bag filled with sand. Let me give you an example of what the sand is like, but first a little background. We are in Bayji, Iraq, which is about 60 km north of Tikrit, which is about 80 km north of Bagdad.

It is much cooler up here than it is south of Bagdad, only 95 F average in May so far. It is very dry and windy. The dirt is hard packed unless you drive on it, and then it will crumble. We are only about 10 km West of the Tigres River. The bugs are annoying, I watched as 10 flies carried away my MRE dinner tonight, and I was happy because I got the spoon with the food on it to my mouth before they could get to it. It's the little things that make us happy.

OK, so here is the description of how bad the sand is: Take a hundred bottles of baby powder, dump them on the ground in 1 spot so they make about 6 inches of baby powder. Now walk in the baby powder.. .and watch the powder rise into the air. Now imagine yourself eating as someone walks through the baby powder right next to you, or better yet, imagine trying to take a "shower" as a HMMWV is driving past you in the baby powder. The good news is that it isn't that bad at the airfield, because we are occupying on pavement or right next to pavement. We have spent many hours cleaning up blown up and looted airfield hangers and buildings so that we can use them as offices. We have been here a week and the buildings are still not prepared for us to occupy them. The reason we want to occupy the buildings is because it is about 20 degrees cooler in the buildings than in a tent. At noon, the tents feel like a sauna in the tents, and its better to be outside than in a tent, but I'm sure you are familiar with that sensation.

Our FBCB2 systems are holding up well. It is amazing that they made it off the boats in perfect condition, and even more amazing that they are functioning so well. The only thing I would like to see improved on the FBCB2 is the processing speed. I am not sure that a voice activated command would work on vehicles. A HMMWV is loud, a tank is much louder. Heck, you have to yell to be heard in a HMMWV when it is moving. Not a bad idea for dismounted troops though. I really like the system, and the fact that you can find anyone you really need to find on it. From a loggie point of view, I can find all kinds of interesting units that really don't want to be found...

I believe that the Army logistics system here was broken from the start. We have been here for 40 days and haven't received a single part to fix broken vehicles. The good news is that we supplied the Iraqies with American equipment during the Iran war in 1982. I've looted many Special Republican Guard barracks (there is a 30 km stretch of SRG barracks between us and Tikrit) for Browning .50 Cals, in perfect condition.. .literally still in packing grease. We also found a stock pile of M-113s. Unfortunately, no Ml tank parts...... so we drove 16 hours to Camp Doha in Kuwait and TOOK some parts from a warehouse there. The Army supply system has given us MREs and water, but nothing else. We have had 3 semi warm T ration meals since we have been here. Thank goodness that the Army was wise enough to improve our MREs. They are actually pretty good now. Our communications equipment are substandard and cannot handle the distances we are separated even with retrans. We have no DNVT support and no signal assets with the battalion. Everybody else does, but not us, we are too far north. I must caveat that by saying that every other unit here has access to email and the internet except us. So for units that are close to the signal assets, life is good. Our DIV HQ occupied a palace complex in Tikrit complete with swimming pool, man- made lake and 8 different palaces with air conditioning for all the soldiers. All the units located with the DIV HQ have posted operating hours! The finance unit doesn't even work on Sundays! I have a hard time understanding why our senior ranking officers are not taking care of all the units and are so focused on taking care of themselves. I'm just not impressed. The CG came to see us once for 15 minutes and never came back. Our brigade commander is a great guy (COL Campbell), and I respect him. He came out to see us and ordered us to move to the airfield that we are currently occupying... it was a little risky, but he knew we needed to improve our living standards. A few years back, everyone was doing studies about the officer corps and why officers were leaving (I recall one by a guy named Wong that was right on the money).

Well, my overall impression is that the COLs and above only care about themselves and making sure that they are living well. I believe that they think if they are living well, then everyone else is living well, because they never leave their cushy palaces to see the real fighters and killers. The only thing I can do about all of that is try to improve what's in my tiny sandbox. I continue to believe that once an officer makes the rank of Major, he receives a frontal lobotomy courtesy of the Army. I have no desire to be a Major in this army, and I'm looking forward to commanding a company or two without the risk of ruining a career. Lucky for me that I'm in good with my boss! I know that I don't see the whole picture, but some of the things that go on here just boggle my mind.

Gotta get some sleep, tell all that everyone out here is doing just fine.

Infantry Captain

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 07-11-2003 01:51 AM

I hope everyone reads this, Mudwoman!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-11-2003 12:32 PM

Iris... me, too.

Keep 'em coming, mudwoman. And THANK YOU for doing this.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

TheBlackHand
Pirate

Post by TheBlackHand » 07-12-2003 08:14 PM

"Warrior" is to "Peacekeeper" as "Gigolo" is to "Priest".

What we need is a sixth branch of the military akin to a paid "Peace Corps". These are people who actually join up to BE "Peacekeepers". The pay & benefits should be the same as the rest of the military. They'd be protected by a military police force, but wouldn't be viewed as "military". This would change the entire dynamic of a "Peace Keeping Mission" from both sides of the fence. In fact, it might lessen the need for a few of those barbed-wire fences.

The crappy living conditions, lack of logistical support and air-conditioned hooches for the big kahuna's are nothing new. They are however, a big reason why most don't/won't re-enlist.

We can only hope that the guys with the guts to give the brass the finger with one hand & help the helpless with the other DO reenlist. Those are the people who make our military strong. I believe there are more of their type then there are of the other...it's just that the other usually have more power than all the rest.
Last edited by TheBlackHand on 07-12-2003 08:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-12-2003 09:22 PM

Good article BlackHand, thanks again.

BTW: You have been wickedly funny the past few days! ;) (Missed your posts).
TheBlackHand wrote: What we need is a sixth branch of the military akin to a paid "Peace Corps". These are people who actually join up to BE "Peacekeepers". The pay & benefits should be the same as the rest of the military. They'd be protected by a military police force, but wouldn't be viewed as "military". This would change the entire dynamic of a "Peace Keeping Mission" from both sides of the fence. In fact, it might lessen the need for a few of those barbed-wire fences.
Stellar idea!

I think it's unrealistic to train a person to be a warrior then expect them not to behave like one. My personal experience with war vets is that a person's training isn't something they can just turn on and off.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 07-12-2003 10:23 PM

I regret that I am just now getting time to read these letters in detail. Yes, THANK YOU, Mudwoman for finding and posting them. Brings a little understanding to us folks who are sitting comfortably in our homes.

I agree, BlackHand (omg, the seventh seal has been broken!!) ... There should be another outfit to support after the fighting missions of the soldiers are accomplished.
by Concerned Soldier
"We have been America's war-fighters, we have liberated a country from conditions that are indescribable, and in return we are being kept here and are living in conditions that we liberated the Iraqis from. How is it that the people that fought and spilled blood on this soil against Iraqi forces are now given the responsibility of providing them comfort and humanitarian aid? "

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 07-12-2003 10:26 PM

... I continue to believe that once an officer makes the rank of Major, he receives a frontal lobotomy courtesy of the Army...

Wow, this fellow maintains his sense of humor. That is impressive!!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-13-2003 01:46 AM

letter to Col. Hackworth

Sir,

Read your column this morning over a bagel and a cup of coffee, and on of the things you mentioned really got me agitated.

In the past year, I've served back to back tours in Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. I returned early to PCS to Korea. I'm a soldier, I understand what duty is, and my country needs me.

I'm also single, never married. It absolutely burns my ass that married soldiers get more money to PCS, more money in their basic allowance for housing, priority for on base housing, a family separation stipend (which just increased in October) when they deploy, and a first class family support infrastructure on every post that takes care of their loved ones when they're away. Every tour or deployment that I've been on the married soldiers are the first to rotate back...providing their comrades an incentive to get hitched before the next deployment. That they have the gall to throw the "family reasons" card on the table when it comes time for reenlistment is sick. I'm sorry, but too many military marriages are DOA (dead on the altar) to begin with because of the immature service members and their would-be spouses. I'm curious to know how the Marine Corps has done with their policy prohibiting first term Marines from marrying. Selfless Service? Didn't I read about that on my "Army Values" dog tag?

The next issue I want to sound off about is the Army World Class Athlete Program and the Army Soldier Show. Smells like Pork to me. Let me get this straight...we're at war...I'm in the Army...I don't have to go to combat if I'm in a chorus line traveling CONUS putting on song-and-dance shows or I can throw a javelin with the best in the world? Right. Got it. I can get behind the Golden Knights jumping at airshows as a recruiting tool; I can see the USAMU competing in shooting matches as a way to validate their training TTP's that filter out to the rest of the force. But when the Army is sponsoring a NASCAR team, a Top Fuel Dragster, a song and dance troupe, a team of Olympic athletes, black berets, Army Values dog tags and credit cards ... could I get some BBQ sauce with that pork?

Let's put all of that money back into the force in the form of better equipment and training for the soldiers, and get our soldiers focused on being soldiers.

A Soldier

letter

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-15-2003 05:38 AM

Navy Corpsman Sounds Off

Sir,

I am a Navy Corpsman stationed with Bravo Company 4th Light Armored Recon (LAR). I have been in theatre since 23 Feb. In the last few weeks I have observed several trends in the way the Army is operating that should be brought to your attention. I understand that the Army occupies an area that has more Saddam loyalists then the Marines (who are in southern Iraq), but the Army is taking a less defensive posture then we are.

About two weeks ago I spent 3 days up north near Camp Dogwood, where the Army and Marine areas butt up against each other. Every patrol we ran in the LAVs had each and every Marine (and Corpsmen) armed with a rifle providing security. We rolled past 3 Army convoys (consisting of 20-30 large trucks each) that had ZERO security setup. Not a single weapon in sight. One lone Hummer drove by us, with a SAW on the pintle mount, but the gunner was inside the vehicle with just the top of his helmet sticking out. Anybody could have attacked him, and he would have been unable to defend himself.

Four days ago a group of Army MPs stopped just outside our compound to buy sodas and ice from local vendors. While I find it ironic that MPs are violating camp rules on this matter, I was more concerned with the fact that nobody set up any security. One of the SAW gunners was in the back of his hummer arranging his cooler, the second SAW gunner was away from his pintle mount smashing blocks of ice. About half of the men on the deck were running around with out weapons (they had left them in the vehicle). The fact that two other soldiers have died in the past weeks doing just this, was totally lost on them.

On another occasion we were providing security for Army MPs who were assisting local police during traffic stops. The MPs in question were told us they were not allowed to touch their SAWs unless they radioed in for permission. They were also only issued two magazines, and if a gun fight occurred, unseal a box to get more.

I have also heard stories from my Marines about other examples. I am concerned that this lax attitude is not only getting soldiers killed but making this entire operation look worse then it really is.

Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully

A Navy Corpsman

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-16-2003 07:09 PM

This isn't a letter from the front, but this seems to be an appropriate thread in which to post this article I just read... (with no comment from me... the article says enough)

Soldiers Stuck in Iraq Feel Let Down
By Jeffrey Kofman, ABCNEWS.com

FALLUJAH, Iraq (July 16) -- The sergeant at the 2nd Battle Combat Team Headquarters pulled me aside in the corridor. "I've got my own 'Most Wanted' list," he told me.

He was referring to the deck of cards the U.S. government published, featuring Saddam Hussein, his sons and other wanted members of the former Iraqi regime.

"The aces in my deck are Paul Bremer, Donald Rumsfeld, George Bush and Paul Wolfowitz," he said.

He was referring to the four men who are running U.S. policy here in Iraq -- the four men who are ultimately responsible for the fate of U.S. troops here.

Those four are not popular at 2nd BCT these days. It is home to 4,000 troops from the 2nd Brigade of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division.

The soldiers were deployed to Kuwait last September. They were among the first troops in Baghdad during the war. And now they've been in the region longer than other troops: 10 months and counting.

They were told they'd be going home in May. Then in early July. Then late July. Then last week they heard that Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld had mentioned them on Capitol Hill.

"The 2nd Brigade is — the plan is that they would return in August, having been there something like 10 months," said Rumsfeld.

He added: "The services and the Joint Staff have been working with Central Command to develop a rotation plan so that we can, in fact, see that we treat these terrific young men and young women in a way that's respectful of their lives and their circumstances."

Solid words from a solid source. Soldiers called their families. Commanding officers began preparations.

‘I Don’t Care Anymore’

Now comes word from the Pentagon: Not so fast.

The U.S. military command in Iraq said Tuesday it plans to complete the withdrawal of the Army's 3rd Infantry Division by September, but officials said they could make no hard promises because of the unsettled state of security in Baghdad and elsewhere in Iraq.

"If Donald Rumsfeld were sitting here in front of us, what would you say to him?" I asked a group of soldiers who gathered around a table, eager to talk to a visiting reporter.

"If he was here," said Pfc. Jason Punyahotra, "I would ask him why we're still here, why we've been told so many times and it's changed."

In the back of the group, Spc. Clinton Deitz put up his hand. "If Donald Rumsfeld was here," he said, "I'd ask him for his resignation."

Those are strong words from troops used to following orders. They say they will continue to do their job, but they no longer seem to have their hearts in the mission.

"I used to want to help these people," said Pfc. Eric Rattler, "but now I don't really care about them anymore. I've seen so much, you know, little kids throwing rocks at you. Once you pacify an area, it seems like the area you just came from turns bad again. I'd like this country to be all right, but I don't care anymore."

Wondering Why

What they care about is their families. Sgt. Terry Gilmore had to call his wife, Stacey, this week to her that he wouldn't be home in a few weeks to see her and their two little children.

"When I told her, she started crying," Gilmore said, his eyes moistening. "I mean, I almost started crying. I felt like my heart was broken. We couldn't figure out why they do it. Why they can keep us over here right after they told us we were coming home."

Sgt. Felipe Vega, who oversees the platoon, sat alone in the platoon quarters, writing a letter. A photo of his wife, Rhonda, was taped to the wall above him.

It is Vega's job to maintain morale. That's not easy, he told me, when the Army keeps changing the orders.

"They turn around and slap you in the face," he said.

When asked if that's the way it feels, he said, "Yeah, kicked in the guts, slapped in the face."

Losing Faith

The 2nd Brigade originally came to Kuwait for six months of exercises. Then they stayed to fight the war. Like the others, Vega thought that would be the end of it.

"What was told to us in Kuwait," he said, "was the fastest way to go home was through Baghdad. And that's what we did."

But more than three months later they are still here.

"Well it pretty much makes me lose faith in the Army," said Pfc. Jayson Punyhotra, one of the soldiers grouped around the table. "I mean, I don't really believe anything they tell me. If they told me we were leaving next week, I wouldn't believe them."

Fighting words from men who are eager to put down their weapons.

Source: AOL News and ABCNews (link below):

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/Worl ... igade.html

There's a poll connected to this story on AOL. For what it's worth, here are the results so far:

Should soldiers vent frustration publicly?

51% Yes, leaders should hear from the ranks
49% No, the media's not the place for it
Total Votes: 184,564

Do you think the U.S. has a clear plan for post-war Iraq?

79% No
21% Yes
Total Votes: 186,513
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 07-17-2003 01:41 AM

Thanks, Joolz. Heartbreaking, isn't it?

The poll at the end was telling. At least people seem to be waking up. Bush threatened to go into Iraq for months and months. There was no problem assigning the multi-million dollar contracts right away. But why was everything else so raggle-taggle?

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-23-2003 04:36 AM

Hello sweetheart,

It's 1 am here, 3:30 in the afternoon there. As you have noticed I have sent this email to several people so that I won't have to repeat the letters. We have been very busy here for the past several hours. Several miles from here, a truck with 4 of our guys was ambushed with all of them being shot. When the helos went in to get them, they had a hot lz and had to return fire all the time they were trying to get the soldiers out. The apache helos that go with them also got involved firing several rockets to take out a truck carrying taliban soldiers. They managed to get the soldiers out but one died, two wounded superficially and one shot in the lower part of his rt back with the bullet coming out top part of his rt chest just above the clavicle. It went through his subclavian artery and axillary vein. He had almost bled to death before he got here.

I operated on him and repaired the vessels but he lost a lot of blood before we were able to get control. He's better now but we are fighting a coagulapathy now because of the shock and 12 units of blood. We called bagram airbase to come get him but by the time they got here we were having a big thunderstorm as wellas an attack at the end of our runway. The vision was surreal. In the midst of the loud thunder and streaking flashs of lightening there were illumination flares and tracers from ak 47s, m16s, 50 cal. machine guns, and mortors. The noise from the firing was as loud and fearsome as the thunder. Needless to say the plane didn't land because of the firefight. Everything has now calmed down. I guess no one was hurt. The Italians and the special forces guys were doing the fighting and we haven't heard of any of them getting hurt. I don't know about the bad guys. They will not be brought here if they were killed. We would only get the wounded.

My patient was brought back over here and we will keep him till a plane can get here in the am. We have to ship out everything because we are not set up to keep patients.

That's about the most work and excitment we have had since last week when they tried to overrun our outpost. I didn't have anyone to operate on then though. I just worked on the one from syria shot behind his eyes. I think I'm going on to bed. I just wanted to get this note out while I was still keyed up from the surgery and firefight.

I love you much and miss you more,
A Unit Surgeon

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNe ... 6366865682

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 09-19-2003 02:16 PM

Lying Bastards

(Dear Sir)

This was in CNN today:

Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday that continuing violence against U.S.-led forces in Iraq is diminishing, and that most Iraqis welcome the occupation. "The actual number of incidents this month is significantly below what it was last month, on a daily basis," Cheney told NBC's "Meet the Press." Most of Iraq "is relatively stable and quiet," he said.

This from the same people who said that al-qaeda were running rampant with WMD in Iraq while Saddam shredded the blueprints for 9/11. Below are excerpts from intel summaries I wrote for the 13th and the 14th of this month. The raw data on incidents is taken from military reporting, CJTF-7 to be specific. It would seem that the vice president does not have access to this unclassified reporting. Makes me wonder if he really gives a damn about the men and women dying over here while Halliburton makes millions.

Assessment:

Through the first twelve days of September, there have been 246 incidents; there were 181 for the same time period in August. This represents a 36% increase in activity levels. If activity numbers continue at current rates, based on August patterns, it is assessed that there will be between 615-668 incidents in September. However, this does not take changing climatological conditions (rain/temperature) into account or operational impacts due to changes in hours of daylight.

Assessment:

Through the first Thirteen days of September, there have been 93 incidents involving IEDs; there were 66 for the same time period in August. This represents a 41% increase in IED use. If activity numbers continue at current rates, based on August patterns, it is assessed that there will be between 255-275 IED incidents in September- or approximately 38-41% of all incidents. However, this does not take changing climatological conditions (rain/temperature) into account or operational impacts due to changes in hours of daylight.

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but last time I checked, 36 and 41 percent increases are not actually "significantly lower" than anything, although maybe Stephen Hawking would say differently.

Cheers,
A CONCERNED OFFICER

Return to “Iraq”