UK soldiers 'filmed beating Iraqis'

War, News and Stories of Iraq

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

UK soldiers 'filmed beating Iraqis'

Post by SETIsLady » 02-12-2006 10:47 AM

CNN) -- Britain has opened an investigation into new allegations of abuse by its forces in Iraq after a newspaper released what it described as video showing soldiers savagely beating Iraqi youths.

The News of the World said on Sunday the alleged attack by eight soldiers, which followed a scene showing youths throwing stones at the soldiers, was videotaped in southern Iraq in early 2004. CNN has not confirmed the authenticity of the film.

Britain's defense ministry said it was aware of the "serious allegations" and that a military police investigation was looking into them.

"We condemn all acts of abuse and brutality and always treat any allegations of wrongdoing extremely seriously," said a spokesman.

Full Story

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-12-2006 11:56 AM

Didn't get to see the video for some reason - from cnn website.

BUT it brings up a question, should soldiers just "take it" when they are being "stoned" by rock throwing youth?

As a parent and grandparent -- I'd literally spank a child I caught throwing stones at people or cars. But "savage beatings" no way.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 02-13-2006 01:20 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Didn't get to see the video for some reason - from cnn website.

BUT it brings up a question, should soldiers just "take it" when they are being "stoned" by rock throwing youth?

As a parent and grandparent -- I'd literally spank a child I caught throwing stones at people or cars. But "savage beatings" no way.
Here is the video Cherry

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/armyvideo.shtml

These are KIDS throwing rocks, if the military can't handle that without brutalizing someone then we are ALL in trouble.

More info here.

showthread.php?s=&postid=348705#post348705

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-13-2006 11:02 AM

SETI -- ahh now that one worked... wonder why other one would not load and run...

I agree the soldiers over-reacted, but what the heck were those KIDS thinking about when they threw stones at the soldiers?

Considering the action that went on prior to the kids throwing rocks -- the families are lucky (in some respect) that all that happened was a beating - those soldiers could have just gunned them down. (BTW another site showed where these soldiers had been under attack from mortar fire - just prior to having rocks thrown at them.)

Return to “Iraq”