Drugs versus Alcohol

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Drugs versus Alcohol

Post by SquidInk » 07-14-2016 02:12 PM

Why did we need a constitutional amendment to outlaw alcohol, but we did not need one to outlaw drugs?

Anyone know?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Re: Drugs versus Alcohol

Post by Raggedyann » 07-14-2016 04:18 PM

Because Nancy said "Just say no". :mrgreen:
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-14-2016 04:34 PM

SquidInk wrote:Why did we need a constitutional amendment to outlaw alcohol, but we did not need one to outlaw drugs?

Anyone know?
'Cause booze is bad, m'kay?

Seriously, it's a good question. Were drugs not a "thing" the way they are today? Or were they, but not enough so to be a problem?

Anahoo, banning alcohol was one of those ideas that didn't pan out. Booze didn't go away, people didn't stop drinking. But it did keep Elliot Ness and The Untouchables busy, eh?
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 07-14-2016 05:43 PM

Maybe we've been the proverbial frog in the pot. The heat has been slowly turned up to the boiling point. In this case, rule of law was slowly dispensed with over time. We can look back and see that in the 1920s our "leaders" were willing to follow a set of rules, and therefore took the time to vote on and pass an amendment (and later to admit it was a bad idea, and vote to repeal).

It's a little glimpse backward to give us an idea of how far we've drifted from the path.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-14-2016 06:29 PM

Never could understand the logic between drugs, smoking, alcohol, gambling, and abuse. Each are unique, yet share similar traits. Basically the law should say that you're free to do whatever you want to yourself, but once you cross the line and hurt someone else you're in the slammer for 20. But busting kids for a half ounce of weed, (usually low grade), doesn't make sense.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-14-2016 07:12 PM

voguy wrote:But busting kids for a half ounce of weed, (usually low grade), doesn't make sense.
Or old people. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-14-2016 07:21 PM

No problem here, people growing the pot in flower boxes in the front yard, well, until some body steals it............Duh!

Do have to say, that they have had to make a few rules on the edible delights as there have been some dangerously sick kids.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-15-2016 04:27 PM

Raggedyann wrote:
voguy wrote:But busting kids for a half ounce of weed, (usually low grade), doesn't make sense.
Or old people. Frankly, around here the kids use it for the kicks. Old people use it for pain control. My neighbor uses it to control the effects of chemo. Without his weed he would be puking 24/7.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-15-2016 06:49 PM

voguy wrote:
Raggedyann wrote:
Or old people. Frankly, around here the kids use it for the kicks. Old people use it for pain control. My neighbor uses it to control the effects of chemo. Without his weed he would be puking 24/7.
I used to use it for kicks and now I use it for chronic arthritis. At least it allows me to take my dogs for a walk. I don't really know if pot has any real pain inhibitors, or if it just makes you feel so comfortably numb that the pain isn't so bad. When one of my dogs smells weed, he brings me his leash. :mrgreen:

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-16-2016 06:23 AM

Raggedyann wrote:
voguy wrote:
Raggedyann wrote: Or old people. :)
I used to use it for kicks and now I use it for chronic arthritis. At least it allows me to take my dogs for a walk. I don't really know if pot has any real pain inhibitors, or if it just makes you feel so comfortably numb that the pain isn't so bad. When one of my dogs smells weed, he brings me his leash. :mrgreen:
Medically speaking, it's probably better than Tramadol or Vicodin. I've not known anyone needing a Narcan shot for smoking or ingesting weed.

But because governments can't get something out of its growth and sales, it's banned. Yea government. Keep the people in pain and feed them pills.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-16-2016 01:49 PM

voguy wrote:
Raggedyann wrote:
voguy wrote: Or old people. Frankly, around here the kids use it for the kicks. Old people use it for pain control. My neighbor uses it to control the effects of chemo. Without his weed he would be puking 24/7.
Medically speaking, it's probably better than Tramadol or Vicodin. I've not known anyone needing a Narcan shot for smoking or ingesting weed.

But because governments can't get something out of its growth and sales, it's banned. Yea government. Keep the people in pain and feed them pills.
Have never used Vicodin. The doc put me on Tramadol and it is one horrible drug. I had terrible side affects and needed home care for a few days til I got back on my feet. Home care is free under our system. :)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-16-2016 03:52 PM

Raggedyann wrote:
voguy wrote:
Raggedyann wrote: I used to use it for kicks and now I use it for chronic arthritis. At least it allows me to take my dogs for a walk. I don't really know if pot has any real pain inhibitors, or if it just makes you feel so comfortably numb that the pain isn't so bad. When one of my dogs smells weed, he brings me his leash. :mrgreen:
Have never used Vicodin. The doc put me on Tramadol and it is one horrible drug. I had terrible side affects and needed home care for a few days til I got back on my feet. Home care is free under our system. :)
Dosed the same for body weight, if you had trouble with Tramadol, you would not do well with Vicodin. Basically the same, but it will "hang over" about 48 hours, and you just feel like you're in a fog. Same with Darvocet. I had Vicodin when I had hand surgery, and I took it the first day then switched to Ibuprofen. Not as good of a pain killer but it worked.

I've always opted out of home care. I figure unless I'm laid up in bed, I'm a better judge of my needs.

Return to “The Brig”