Website dedicated to what??

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-07-2013 01:19 AM

http://www.huhcorp.com

Heh,they "Do stuff"!!

Read thru it,your questions about what they are,etc will be answered :D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-08-2013 02:37 AM

This is why I can make a living : "Our main consulting strategy is to convince clients that we do stuff they can't do themselves, and that we deserve lots of money for it."

Everyone I know other than a few people have given up on the idea that they can learn this for themselves. Squidink is a glaring contradiction. This guy has self-learned everything necessary to be a serious webmaster, and as far as I know has not paid a red cent for it. Bravo I say. He should be a role model to us all.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 12-08-2013 12:35 PM

now that's cute
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-08-2013 05:47 PM

Here is another one: duhcorp.com :D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-09-2013 01:16 PM

Dude111 wrote: http://www.huhcorp.com

Heh,they "Do stuff"!!

Read thru it,your questions about what they are,etc will be answered :D
Pretty hilarious. There is no doubt that the world of online marketing has it's own rich ecosystem of buzzwords.

Check it: http://bit.ly/18x08sZ
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-09-2013 02:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-09-2013 02:13 PM

Fan wrote: Everyone I know other than a few people have given up on the idea that they can learn this for themselves. Squidink is a glaring contradiction. This guy has self-learned everything necessary to be a serious webmaster, and as far as I know has not paid a red cent for it. Bravo I say. He should be a role model to us all.
Whoa --- <blush> --- what a compliment! This situation calls for lists....

First list: Things I learned on my own, that I think anyone can learn with basic effort
  • The difference between a "client" & and a "server", and the *very* basics of how the internet works, such as when and where data is coming and going, how IP addresses & URLs work, etc
  • How to hire a competent web host (in other words, how to rent a server to host a website)
  • How to get a basic unaltered installation of Wordpress (or similar) up and running -- this is literally a "one click" adventure if the web host is competent
  • How to write a modest, yet largely functional "cross-browser" "static" HTML site - information only, no members, no "dynamic content", just the basic HomePage|AboutMe|ContactInfo|SocialMediaLinkage
  • How to write your basic site so it will inherently contain some factors which enhance it's "SEO" (search engine optimization), resulting in decent google rankings
  • How to configure your (rented) server to provide you with an email address relevant to your website such as "[email protected]"
Anybody should be able to go from zero understanding of these things to functional website in the <span> of a weekend.

Second list: Things which are harder, but still do-able if you have the desire
  • Graphics - logos, backgrounds, banners, icons, "favicons", etc
  • basic principles of layout, design, and typography
  • back-ups & mirrors
  • Installation of a basic "development environment" to enable offline website development - I have actually never been able to successfully test php in a development environment, always had to live test (not good!)
  • Construction of a site using more difficult or "modular" or highly configurable "content management" software like drupal, or forum software. Actually, drupal nearly drove me to drink, but eventually I became somewhat competent (so I thought!). Then I attended DrupalCon and realized I was able to harness about .5% of it.
  • basic databases
  • Responsive web design (which is useable/functional on any device from phones to PCs). This means writing the site so the elements will rearrange themselves or even disappear as the view-screen gets smaller.
  • Very basic template based e-commerce (like Shopify)
Third list: Things which are hard, and might be better done by experts:
  • Spinning up and maintaining your own (secure) web-server. I have tried, and failed at this - so I am not self-hosted. That's a goal of mine.
  • Websites "powered" by technologies such as Python or Rails, normally for managing "web apps"
  • Use of scaleable hosting options like Heroku, AWS, or even Cloudflare to deal with the challenges of a high traffic site
  • Custom written code or "modules" for curating specific dynamic content - there are lots of security implications here
  • Complex database structuring/queries
  • Migrations from server to server
  • Heavily customized e-commerce - dealing with cc#s is delicate, and needs to be done right.
  • Advanced technical tuning to do obscure things like limit requests on the server in order to speed up loading times for the site viewer, or 'minify' various elements of the page. An example might be inline JavaScript, URL storage.
  • Complex virtualization
I have a lot left to learn before I would call myself a "serious webmaster" along the lines of our own Fan - who, believe me, is like a level 90 Binary Wraith with all the cool armour. He will float through your ether - a silent spectre, optimizing, upgrading, open source installing, encrypting, and ... cooking? :D

The great thing about internet connected computers, is they tell you anything you want to know about them (unlike, say, your car). It can take awhile to distill the answer from the noise, and many times the "answer" will add more questions to your list - but it's fun and satisfying to build things yourself.

These lists are incomplete, if I think of more stuff I'll add it.
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-09-2013 02:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Return to “The Brig”