The Last Days of "Macho Man" Randy Savage

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

The Last Days of "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Post by Riddick » 07-03-2013 12:31 AM

On May 20, 2011 Randy Mario Poffo passed away at the age of 58, leaving his family, friends and fans in a state of shock, sadness and bewilderment. Son of mat legend Angelo Poffo, as Randy "Macho Man" Savage, the second generation grappler became one of pro-wrestling's most famous and beloved figures ever in a career that spanned four decades.

While his death was sudden and to the world, totally unexpected, evidently for some time before Randy himself may well have been thinking his stay on Earth could be ending sooner rather than later, spending his last months and years contemplating his legacy personally and professionally and making up for time lost to fame.

Relatively isolated in retirement, as his mother Judy relates Randy kept busy with his hobbies and remained accessible to his family, taking her and Angelo to medical appointments. After his father's death in 2010, he highlighted his own acceptance of the aging process by exposing his baldness and letting his beard go white.

The same year, after a long time of living together having rekindled their romance about a decade earlier he married 'first-love' Judy Payne, a sweetheart from his minor league baseball days in the '70's.

Later when he took his mother in for an exam, a nurse told him Hulk Hogan was in the building. Racing out to find him, Randy reached rapprochement with his on again off again friend and ally after several years of feuding. And brother Lanny Poffo states the night before he died, he again stressed he'd never go into the WWE HOF without him and their dad along, "you understand?" As noted by Lanny, "he was getting closure for everything."

You can read the whole story as presented in a exclusive to the Bleacher Report HERE

MACHOCHURCH.COM
Spreading The Madness Since May 2011!

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 08-03-2013 09:59 AM

I have nothing but Respect for the Macho Man.
I grew up watching him in the 80's & 90's.

Though my favorite era of wrestling would have to be the "Attitude Era". Back when the real ECW was going strong.
Loved watching ECW on my C-Band.
I remember the first time I ever saw ECW.
It was 1996 I believe and I was flipping through channels on the wild feeds...suddenly this wild bunch of inmates were in a wrestling ring.

But as for Macho Man. I remember watching live as he & miss elizabeth supposedly tied the knot @ Summerslam.
Though I am not sure if that was "real" or if they were already married at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12xNjibUpc
Last edited by CoastZone on 08-03-2013 10:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Riddick
Pirate

Re: The Last Days of "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Post by Riddick » 06-23-2023 03:29 PM

Return to “The Brig”