Beards

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

fancy a beard?

beard
44%
no beard
56%

Total votes: 9

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:23 AM

SquidInk wrote: I was once asked to fire a hard working man under my supervision because he wore a beard similar to the one depicted in post #8 (thanks, bobbo). In fact, the guy was a French Canadian named LeBlanc, who was the leader of a punk band styled after the Dead Kennedys. I refused, and in fact laughed at the idea (literally, & loudly). Did not go over well.

there is a bias, and I like breaking that in people's minds. I am very well-spoken and polite, always let pedestrians cross... but I wait a long time sometimes before they believe I am not actually going to run them down. When I go to pay at a corner store I get nervous looks and twitchy under-the-counter-maybe-I-have-a-shotgun miming, but I always make a note of reading their name tag and saying "thank you Denise, and please have a wonderful evening" before drifting out the door.

If I come around a corner I often have people give gasps of surprise. It really does make life more fun I must say.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 01:36 AM

I dated a guy in the early 60's who had a beard. This was a very clean cut era, 'short back and sides', and prior to hippies. I made him shave it off! Then I felt so guilty that I made him grow it back and then I liked it. I liked him too. But he got away. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-21-2013 01:36 AM

Fan wrote: there is a bias, and I like breaking that in people's minds. I am very well-spoken and polite, always let pedestrians cross... but I wait a long time sometimes before they believe I am not actually going to run them down. When I go to pay at a corner store I get nervous looks and twitchy under-the-counter-maybe-I-have-a-shotgun miming, but I always make a note of reading their name tag and saying "thank you Denise, and please have a wonderful evening" before drifting out the door.

If I come around a corner I often have people give gasps of surprise. It really does make life more fun I must say.
would you say you are often mistaken for... a bear?
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-21-2013 01:37 AM

A famous French Canadian with a beard on his face AND no hair on his dome.

Last edited by Riddick on 02-01-2017 02:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:41 AM

SquidInk wrote: would you say you are often mistaken for... a bear?
I daresay I am attractive to both ursine and homo-erectus variety lol.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:41 AM

Fan wrote: I daresay I am attractive to both ursine and homo-erectus variety lol.

oh, and repulsive too, at first that is.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 01:43 AM

Fan wrote: oh, and repulsive too, at first that is.

But you're a good cooker!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:45 AM

I use only the finest organic shampoos on my beard, a cilantro-mint mix actually. The beard is soft and smells good and tickles. I shave my moustache and sideburns so only the bottom part is crazy. I can shake it and water sprays everywhere after a shower. It is basically a scale model of a scottish terrier.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 06-21-2013 01:46 AM

Fan wrote: It is basically a scale model of a scottish terrier.

Casey would love you! :D

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-21-2013 01:46 AM

For those who don't know, Fan's real name is Grizzly Lagasse. Most days he can be found wading into rivers to catch huge salmon with his face.

He then incorporates the salmon into brilliantly prepared meals, and serves fine coffee after. And by the way, all your websites are belong to him now.

:D
Last edited by SquidInk on 06-21-2013 01:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:51 AM

Raggedyann wrote: Casey would love you! :D

animals love beards! Every animal I meet wants to snuffle up in there.

Babies are enthralled by it as well, because it makes the human face look strange. On every metro and bus every kid in the place is staring at me.

Wait, everyone stares at me. Am I paranoid?

Nah, I am a 40 year old 6'5'' tall freak with a foot long beard.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-21-2013 01:52 AM

Fan wrote: animals love beards! Every animal I meet wants to snuffle up in there.
Advice: stay away from lampreys.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:54 AM

SquidInk wrote: For those who don't know, Fan's real name is Grizzly Lagasse. Most days he can be found wading into rivers to catch huge salmon with his face.

He then incorporates the salmon into brilliantly prepared meals, and serves fine coffee after. And by the way, all your websites are belong to him now.

:D

Stereotyping again! Maybe I'll go start a cult and hunt whales and philosophize about le bon sauvage.

I do like smoking my own salmon though. Come to Montreal people, I will treat you. Maple-syrup glazed... mmmm.....

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-21-2013 01:54 AM

SquidInk wrote: Advice: stay away from lampreys.

advice misinterpreted: nose stuck in lamprey jaws; advise.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 06-21-2013 01:56 AM

Fan wrote: Stereotyping again! Maybe I'll go start a cult and hunt whales and philosophize about le bon sauvage.

I do like smoking my own salmon though. Come to Montreal people, I will treat you. Maple-syrup glazed... mmmm.....
I would join that cult, and I would gladly accept maple glazed anything!

Return to “The Brig”