Summer road trip 2011

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Summer road trip 2011

Post by turtle101 » 06-11-2011 07:54 PM

Getting ready for our summer road trip. taking off in 3 weeks. been looking for all the out of the way tent camping spots in Oregon and Washington.

Leaving on the 25th ....Heading first to Sumptner Oregon for their 4th of July annual city sale. then to Portland to see the boat and our Son. hang for a day or two then up the coast of Washington to the Sound. Spend two or three weeks there and back to Portland. Up the Columbia river on the Washington side to wards Pendleton, Oregon. over to Joesph, Oregon to see Dad then straight down to Nevada to wards home.

How we get to these places....is whatever we want to do. I love to car travel.

Now I have to find tent camping so we can figure which way to go. Bought the Woodalls Camping book of the Northwestern states but it's all RV...stuff. waste of money. oh well. has some good stuff in it but not much.

taking the dog...right. but we have to bring the cat to. She like 24 don't want to leave her behind she too old.

taking lots of pictures. sending them via little computer when i get wifi.....lol

this should be exciting
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

feetsie
Pirate

Post by feetsie » 06-12-2011 08:43 AM

That sounds like so much fun! I know you'll have a great time.
Do you know anyone who has triple A for insurance. They have great campground books that list all of the state parks and national forests. The books are free to AAA members. Check the rules at forestry offices. On BLM land they usually allow dispersed camping. Just go down a dirt road and you'll often see evidence of previous campers, if none are present. You have to be self-contained, there's no toilets or anything out there, but boy is it peaceful. Ask the rangers, they should know where good places are. If you end up in a campground state or national forests are usually the best for tenters. No electricity, no hookups, no running water, no flush toilets keeps away the riffraff.
ENJOY!

PS. When you get in town, McDonalds all have wifi. Their coffee's pretty good too.
God is

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-13-2011 01:25 AM

Hey Turtle! I live in Pendleton. Have you been to Underground Pendleton? It is awsome. And your Dad lives in Joseph? Lucky guy , it is so beautiful up there.

Sounds like a great trip!

Doka

PS The chamber of commerce and the visitor centers have great stuff on camping, eating, and etc. and they always know some secret site to see also.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-13-2011 08:33 AM

We do a lot of tent camping, and it is so hard finding good camp spots with all the trashy RV places around. Even national parks are usually bad. I have found provincial parks to be best, private parks are almost always bad/small/RV parking lots.

Have an awesome time, we will be doing 2 weeks in Quebec at the end of the summer, and I cannot wait!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-13-2011 09:12 AM

Sounds like a great trip. :)

Return to “The Brig”