After 40 years, Neil Diamond is still shining

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

After 40 years, Neil Diamond is still shining

Post by SETIsLady » 04-30-2008 12:08 PM

Neil is one of my all time favorites and he is finally touring this year, I plan to go see him in October !! Don't know if there are other fans here, but thought I would share this. The reasons I love Neil is because he makes you feel good! And that is a commodity these days :)

In 1996, I attended a Neil Diamond concert at the Fleet Center in Boston. I was going through my teenage hippie phase at the time, so perhaps I thought Neil was cool because my favorite jam band, Phish, did an awesome cover of “Cracklin’ Rosie.” Whatever my inspiration, I knew attending this particular show was somewhat ironic. I was making a statement and bucking convention.

I don’t remember what Neil wore, but I'm pretty sure it wasn’t sequins. I sort of remember older fans getting miffed when we stood up to dance. What I recall most clearly is how happy Neil Diamond made me. He sang songs I didn’t even realize I knew. Yet I found myself mouthing the words: “You are the sun, I am the moon. You are the words, I am the tune — play me.”

Could it be that I was indoctrinated by a Neil Diamond subculture without knowing it? It certainly didn’t come from my parents, who claim every Neil song sounds the same (how wrong they are!). I didn’t own one Neil Diamond album. Yet he so permeated pop culture that my self-conscious and cool-obsessed teenage brain could not help but love him.

Now Neil Diamond is all sorts of hip. “Sweet Caroline” serves as a quasi-anthem for the Boston Red Sox and is beloved by frat boys everywhere. (They like to shout “So good! So good! So good!”) Diamond was the focus of the bawdy 2001 movie “Saving Silverman.” Diamond will appear on TODAY on May 2, performing songs from his new album, “Home Before Dark,” which is due out four days later. It is Diamond’s second album to be produced by perhaps the coolest guy in the music industry — Rick Rubin. Diamond also appeared on “American Idol” on April 29, as a mentor to the remaining five contestants.

Rest of the Article

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-30-2008 04:57 PM

In 1992 Neil Diamond performed at the Los Angeles Forum. I had a high school friend from my home town visiting me, and I took him to the concert. We had "nosebleed seats" because that was all I could afford, but it was (nevertheless) an AWESOME concert. Neither of us had ever seen Neil in concert before, so we didn't care where our seats were--only that we could be there!

The Irony of this concert was, it had been steadily raining for 5 days. It was pouring as we drove across Los Angeles to the Forum. When we climbed out of the car to go stand in this line that reached all the way around the huge building, the rain STOPPED! And it stayed away all through the concert, and didn't begin again until we (the fans) were all safely back in our cars, headed for wherever our respective homes happened to be.

I always like to remember that night as the time the heavens smiled down on Neil Diamond, and lended their blessings to a once-in-a-lifetime performance for lots of us.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

majda
Pirate

Re: After 40 years, Neil Diamond is still shining

Post by majda » 04-30-2008 05:20 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Neil is one of my all time favorites and he is finally touring this year, I plan to go see him in October !! Don't know if there are other fans here, but thought I would share this. The reasons I love Neil is because he makes you feel good! And that is a commodity these days :)

Yup! And he's just a darn nice guy and a real gentleman to boot! :cool: Fame never went to his head.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

majda
Pirate

Re: Re: After 40 years, Neil Diamond is still shining

Post by majda » 04-30-2008 05:22 PM

majda wrote: Yup! And he's just a darn ((nice)) guy and a real ((gentleman)) to boot! :cool: Fame never went to his head.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 02:42 AM

Getting my tickets tonight they finally went up for sale. Front row VIP seating is $815 but I am going to bite the bullet and pay it. I don't think he is going to tour again, and its a once in a lifetime thing for me, have wanted to see him for over 25 years :D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 02:53 AM

Huh, my hubby was looking at some site that has the tickets listed for that much but it looks like I can get them cheaper from Ticketmaster, but the reservation area is down now :(

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 02:54 AM

He has some tracks from his new CD on his website, beautiful !!

http://www.neildiamond.com/

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-30-2008 02:55 AM

SETIsLady wrote: Getting my tickets tonight they finally went up for sale. Front row VIP seating is 5 but I am going to bite the bullet and pay it. I don't think he is going to tour again, and its a once in a lifetime thing for me, have wanted to see him for over 25 years :D
I believe it is worth it! You are right, chances are good he won't do a tour like this again. And people should do "once in a lifetime" things when they can. My daughter and her husband went to Hawaii a few weeks ago (she had so many miles built up from flying back and forth to China for work) and it was his 30th birthday. One of the things he has always want to do, and is on his "life list" is jumping out of an airplane. So she surprised him with a jump session over there and had it video taped. :D It was $700 for the package (both of them jumped) but the look on his face as he's jumping out of that plane is priceless.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 02:59 AM

If I can get them cheaper I will , but I am willing to pay the $815 its just going to be me and my hubby. :)

Yes once in a lifetime :D

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 05-30-2008 03:01 AM

SETIsLady wrote: He has some tracks from his new CD on his website, beautiful !!

http://www.neildiamond.com/

Beautiful indeed.:D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-30-2008 05:15 AM

Hi ho, hi ho... it's off to the show I go! :p :D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 08:34 AM

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH madja !!! I bet you are excited as I am, :) what date are you going ???? Detail, Details !!!

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 05-30-2008 02:59 PM

SETIsLady wrote: YEAHHHHHHHHHHH madja !!! I bet you are excited as I am, :) what date are you going ???? Detail, Details !!!

It's the middle of September, in Portland, OR. Can't remember the exact day, as I am not the one with the tickets. I'm really looking forward to it though. Oh, those memories! :D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 05:15 PM

Very cool !!! I am happy for ya :D

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-30-2008 05:42 PM

Sounds great! I wish you good travel time and a wonderful evening. I LOVE Neil Diamond!

As for us, my hubby just bit the bullet for tickets to CELTIC THUNDER this coming November in the Nokia Theatre is Los Angeles, as our birthday present to himself. (lol) Over $300 a pop X 2! (He NEVER wants to pay for tickets to ANYTHING! Couldn't believe we actually agreed on something entertaining.) But I'd trade mine in a HOT FLASH for Neil Diamond, again.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Return to “The Brig”