Frank Zappa on Crossfire 1986-87

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lakesider
Pirate

Frank Zappa on Crossfire 1986-87

Post by Lakesider » 07-11-2005 02:49 PM

In 1986-87, Frank appeared on Crossfire to debate whether or not music videos, lyrics should be censored. Interesting to watch in todays "anything goes" world. Back then those arguing for censorship were quick to blame rock music for the ills of the day. Frank was steadfast in his belief that it was a non-issue centred around the seven words you couldn't say on radio/tv. A couple of interesting footnotes to what Frank said was that the FCC were overstepping thier bounds on regulating the airwaves (a hot debate these days) and that America was going down a dangerous road towards facism (in which many would say he was correct here in 2005).

Requires WMP or Real.

Crossfire

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-11-2005 02:57 PM

I'm still amazed that the U.S. goes balistic when a station airs a bare breast, yet the rest of the world shrugs and says, "so what?"

So are we the pruds, or are they the perverts?

From what I understand, there are some European broadcasts that approach what nakednews.com does.

Add to that the knee-jerk reactions to what is "perceived" to be bad. For example, the the Howard Cosell gaafe.

At times, I often wonder if the public is looking to pick a fight rather than just turning the channel, or turning it off. <deep sigh>
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

Fred_Vobbe
Pirate

Post by Fred_Vobbe » 07-11-2005 04:15 PM

Doing my best newman impression ... "this just in, this just in"

Did ABC's Good Morning America have its own wardrobe malfunction?

A pop-out occurred today - at least in sight of Eastern and Central time zone viewers of the live feed - during a segment showing a dance competition. Will ABC have to deal with indecency complaints to the FCC - and if it does, will Viacom use that as ammunition to fight its Janet Jackson Super Bowl fine? ABC pixellated out the offending breast during the West coast feed of GMA.
scientia quod ethics super ususfructus

fabzilla
Pirate

Post by fabzilla » 07-12-2005 04:34 AM

memories...

Tipper and the PMRC gang... Booooooo!

Remember Dee Snider's role, man!

Bless the House of Hair!

Frank was a brilliant man, period.

fab
Ah drrr drrr drrr

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 07-14-2005 04:00 PM

I've had that clip for years----classic Zappa.
I guess amerikanz just can't stand boobiez.

Return to “The Brig”