WADR What topics are Appropriate?

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

alphacentaura
Pirate

WADR What topics are Appropriate?

Post by alphacentaura » 11-29-2004 06:08 PM

I have watched the happenings of the last few weeks with interest, disappointment, yet waiting for understanding and disclosure.

It seems, there are certain long standing members, contibutors to this board that feel or are that they are banned.

There used to be a thread here, where the owners of this forum, yes CF, Linn or whomever, that would post the happenings of such bannishment titled "Removed Posters": showthread.php?s=&threadid=7735&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I have been a member here for almost 2 years +. I have attempted to be both a productive and positive member of this community in terms of spririt, cammerarderie, contribution both content and financial.

My post here is not to FLAME this board, but to attempt to put some issues to rest. Does anyone really think, that by not talking about, or declaring subjects as non grata, locking threads, that anything will ever be the same or resolved?

I came here, to this good ship, initially, because I thought it was one of honesty, freedom of idea, expression, search for the truth, in the spirit of the Pirate Flag, talk radio, Art Bell.

What the hell happened?

Badboy, has been a mainstay here on this ship for a very long time...since I've been on board for certain. Gormworm, was a consistent and powerful contributor to the subject matter.

Whether I like gorm, BB, CK personally or whether at times they got on my nerves or overstated what seemed to be their passion or agenda, I respect them always, for their contributions to FF.

IMHO, they were treated very differently for their contributions, than the 'regulars' on the "P&G" deck, that violated more often than not, any of the mission statements, rules and regs that seem so frequently posted as reminder.

So, what is the FF...what does it stand for?

I still consider myself a member in good standing here.

I would like to see this forum to continue to succeed, in the venue to which is seemed to have been born.

That said though, it cannot continue in a venue where the members are afraid to articulate what is on their mind, what they wish to speak about, regardless of topic, specificallly when they wish to speak about what is happening or not, in a community they have invested much time, energy and emotion in.

I say, let the catharsis come for FF...I think it is much needed.

...and then, carry on......

:) ;)

Thomas Veil
Pirate

Re: WADR What topics are Appropriate?

Post by Thomas Veil » 11-29-2004 08:10 PM

alphacentaura wrote:
Badboy, has been a mainstay here on this ship for a very long time...since I've been on board for certain. Gormworm, was a consistent and powerful contributor to the subject matter. (Note From Thomas: Don't want to forget Maryals either).

Whether I like gorm, BB, CK personally or whether at times they got on my nerves or overstated what seemed to be their passion or agenda, I respect them always, for their contributions to FF.

IMHO, they were treated very differently for their contributions, than the 'regulars' on the "P&G" deck, that violated more often than not, any of the mission statements, rules and regs that seem so frequently posted as reminder.

I recognized when I joined this forum that admins had a right to run this place as they see fit. That's the way of the forum world. I have watched BadBoy for a long time before I even joined, and I respect him for what he brings to the forum. I also feel he has brought much attention to this place due to George's numerous plugs on the show, but perhaps a few people didn't like BadBoy getting the attention. One lady in particular voiced that opinion, and I believe certain Mods were bothered by it too, just my opinion.

So, I ask, if I may be so bold, why was BadBoy planked? What did he do that was so bad that he may never post here again? Oh sure, you don't owe me an answer, and you can go ahead and tell me I don't have a right if you want. That's fine. I accepted the basic rule of the admins here when I joined, and the continued silence on BadBoy's dismissal is pretty much expected. Only the admins can rise to the occasion and do the right thing here.

On the subject of Politics, I know what a hard fought campaign it has been. I know the passion on the left, because they feel they are losing their country. I feel the vote was for either side of the same coin and voiced my support of the third party choice when I felt it needed to be said. But, I do share the belief with the left that we are in trouble here. I just didn't believe their man was the answer.

I happen to respect Rombaldi's passion for what he believes, just wish he could tone down the name calling a little. I also respect Racehorse and Ben Slain and what they have brought to the table. Those two are out manned here, but they still stand up for what they believe in. If you want to know why things are allowed to go on as they do in the P&G thread, I'll make it simple for you. The left leaning beliefs often presented there are what the admins (at least one of them), believe. Remember, when you join a forum, you agree to accept the decisions of the admins, no matter how unfair they may seem sometimes.

What I also know is that it's sad that things have happened the way they have in the last month. If I could fix it, I would. If I could say, okay folks, some of you crossed the line, some of you I banned for my own reasons, but we're gonna start over again, I would. But, I'm just a member here, and the power is not in my hands. I can only speak for trying to mend fences and taking the high road where ever I post, but the decision making is out of my hands.

If my post here was over the line because I talked about the subject, than I am truly sorry. I have intentionally been quiet since I heard the news, because I don't want to fan the flames any more than they already are. I just hope we can eventually get beyond this and come together as a community that has many beliefs that spawn many great discussions on a variety of subjects.

I want only the best for everybody here, and whether I'm here or not after today, I wish everybody at Fantastic Forum the best. This is still an awesome forum.

Thomas Veil
"You can't give up hope because it's hopeless, you've got to hope even more, cover your ears and go blah blah blah blah blah."-Philip J. Fry

BenSlain
Pirate

Re: Re: WADR What topics are Appropriate?

Post by BenSlain » 11-30-2004 12:50 AM

Thomas Veil wrote:
I happen to respect Rombaldi's passion for what he believes, just wish he could tone down the name calling a little. I also respect Racehorse and Ben Slain and what they have brought to the table. Those two are out manned here, but they still stand up for what they believe in. If you want to know why things are allowed to go on as they do in the P&G thread, I'll make it simple for you. The left leaning beliefs often presented there are what the admins (at least one of them), believe. Remember, when you join a forum, you agree to accept the decisions of the admins, no matter how unfair they may seem sometimes.

Thomas Veil

Thomas, very good post. You seem to be, along with alphacentaura feeling a bit like pulling your hair out.
I felt the same way. But like you stated things have moved in a different direction here over the last 6 months or so. Things change, forums change. This forum has changed a few times in 4 years. I'm not really to happy about the way it's been heading lately but it's up to the people who run the place what type of ship is floating here not me. I will say this without trying to offend anyone that it has always, cept for the first few months listed a bit to the left. And there's nothing wrong with that. Matter of fact it used to be fun. It made for quite a few great debates. Now it seems my opinion is not wanted because almost all my post on p&g are met with a lot of hate toward me. I brought this up before but it just brought down the wrath even worse. It also seems like a lot of the new members here are givin free reign to just blast away without having to worry about the consequences.
I get no respect here for the most part. And I have no respect for certain peoples "Passions" when to me they just seem vile. Last time I posted this it was met by "well, what about Racehorse, we respect him because he is willing to carry on a conversation with respect for everyone".....Well, ..God bless ya Race.....And I love ya like a .....well, like a lawyer. But for some reason, maybe you're the most even temped man on the planet. I see very little respect for him anymore either. For some reason he can just take more than the rest of us. I don't know how he dose it but he dose.
But anyway Thomas ya just got to get over it. What I did was join 5 or 6 other forums. I've seen you on one. Others here on other ones, and just spread myself out more. Spend less time on each one. Don't get caught up in the "my forum is better than yours" junk and maybe just wait for this place to change again. I think all forums do this. Meanwhile stop in and be bodacious once in a while;)

Post by Guest » 11-30-2004 02:11 AM

You have to be more blunt !!!

Either the mods have turned into a bunch of disinformation agents or someone has a pickle up their butt .. either way this board will disappear very soon with the recent bannings.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-30-2004 04:48 AM

Okay, Zamboniman - you come here only to troll and make threats, so you're gone.

Alphacentaura - do not start any more of these kinds of kinds of threads. You see the results. It would probably be better if you posted about posting, freedom of speech, your opinions of how forums should be moderated and other concerns - in a forum that was more interested in these kinds of discussions. It's getting old here. We have moved on. Most of the responses here are from posters who have moved on to forums they are more comfortable with. That's a reasonable response.

One more time: the poster, and his declared aliases, whose account was deleted, totally flamed the board one night in an obscene attack on other posters. The 'evidence' was deleted along with the account - as they were too vulgar to be left up on the board. You missed those posts, I guess. Three other posters were banned shortly thereafter for breaking the posted rules.

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-30-2004 05:31 AM

Linnea wrote: It would probably be better if you posted about posting, freedom of speech, your opinions of how forums should be moderated and other concerns - in a forum that was more interested in these kinds of discussions.

I know the perfect place where these exact types of discussions rule in number! :) In fact, a person could discuss the evils of piratry to their hearts content.

Okay, okay ... re-biting my tongue (but not happy about it! wink)

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 11-30-2004 08:40 AM

Well, that was provocative Cindy. What does it mean? Wait... never mind.

I think there's always room for a bit of "moderation." As a philosopher, I might believe in the concept of an online free-for-all. As a realistic participant in an online forum, I am more comfortable when I know that I will not have to read through mindless obscenity to get to the point.

I really think it's more coincidence than anything that the FF is "blue." And I also think that when people think nobody's paying any attention to them and stomp off they might need to see a shrink for an hour or so.

I was asked to perform a service on the Ship and I'm glad to be doing it. Anybody who thinks they might want to be a mod here sometime should tell the owner, and maybe your name can get on a list. My exploration of unmoderated forums is limited, but has taught me that there are always a few delinquents who get off on dirty words and general provocation. They can cause great havoc, much more than they're worth having around.

We have few rules here. Thanks to all of you who have stuck around and await calmer seas.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 11-30-2004 10:47 AM

CindyLouWho wrote:

I know the perfect place where these exact types of discussions rule in number! :) In fact, a person could discuss the evils of piratry to their hearts content.
I think it's called The Great Beyond.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

JunkYardFrog
Pirate

Post by JunkYardFrog » 11-30-2004 12:24 PM

Well....

I'm glad someone else started this thread. I asked a perfectly legitimate question about George and a former poster and my motives apparently get questioned.

George still praises this board. That's how I found this place. I don't post much and I don't like board wars. That gets old real quick. If someone turns out to be a jerk, give them the boot. I have no problem with that. In fact I have criticized some other boards for being too tolerant with people who cause trouble.

So I have two questions:

#1. What do you mean when you say "move on"? Move on from what? From listening to C2C? I don't get it....

#2. Probably a stupid question. Is there a way to send a PM on this board???

Thanks,

Bruce
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.

- Jesus -

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-30-2004 04:46 PM

Point well taken Sean. Topic is not appropriate. Wondering at Junkyardfrog's interest in even starting this thread. Can't remove it to the brig, as it's already in the brig. Closing thread. Let's find some topics to talk about that are constructive. Let's wish Badboy and George Noory well, and move on.

Thank you

--from here by Linnea
Bruce, I think she simply meant to move on to posting about more constructive, entertaining and/or enlightening topics. Have fun and post up. That's all it said to me. :)

Oh, and while I'm here, Martie, you have lost none of my respect. Image

Alpha - the posters you mentioned broke major rules here. Rules that were installed after similar instances occurred years back. I don't think every admin decision needs to be parsed and examined by every member to be a viable one. They know what they did and why it was wrong. So does anyone that was following it.

Rules and their enforcement are important no matter where you drop anchor. You don't have to be very Imaginative to see this.

Now I'm moving on...

Post by Guest » 11-30-2004 06:46 PM

To help us new members, could someone please spell out exactly which specific rules were violated by those longtime famous members?

Thomas Veil
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: WADR What topics are Appropriate?

Post by Thomas Veil » 11-30-2004 08:40 PM

BenSlain wrote: But anyway Thomas ya just got to get over it. What I did was join 5 or 6 other forums. I've seen you on one. Others here on other ones, and just spread myself out more. Spend less time on each one. Don't get caught up in the "my forum is better than yours" junk and maybe just wait for this place to change again. I think all forums do this. Meanwhile stop in and be bodacious once in a while;)

Of course, you're right. I would have never posted what I did had the first post not been there. Something about this situation just bothers me. I didn't like it when Styx kicked Dennis out of the band, and a few of the plankings aren't sitting well with me either. But, I'll get over it. It's not the end of the world. I can still hang out with BadBoy and the rest of them elsewhere. He should be allowed here, but that's not my decision to make. So, I will leave it at that.

As far as the forum vs. forum stuff, I think I have made my position clear on that. It's a useless and stupid arguement. Any forum is what the people make of it. I will always try and fight for just getting along. The existance of another forum won't hurt this place in the least, because there are enough good people here to keep it going. So, I wish everybody good luck, and, more importantly, have fun doing this. That IS, after all, the main reason most people hang out in these forums, to have fun with their friends.

With that comment, I wish to leave this thread now. It is my belief that the only way this can ever hope to be resolved is when the Admins and those involved talk privately. Maybe that will happen one day soon, but if not, life will go on.
"You can't give up hope because it's hopeless, you've got to hope even more, cover your ears and go blah blah blah blah blah."-Philip J. Fry

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

'moving' back a sec...

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-30-2004 10:25 PM

Joxer wrote: To help us new members, could someone please spell out exactly which specific rules were violated by those longtime famous members?
I hope this helps you Joxer. Fame's not all it's cracked up to be, so I've heard. So much that is famous is bad - boy bands, reality shows, Sean Penn, Andy Hallett, Dan Rather, Guy Fawkes, The San Diego Chicken, Ron Artest...I could go on but there's no good reason to learn from bad examples here. If you must pursue this the archives and search feature are available. You can learn much that way. We recommend all new pirates read back a ways. Between that and reading our mission statement you'll know all the rules and most of the pirates. Although you don't post regularly you've contributed some good radio links and tips so far and this is appreciated famously. :)

Now you don't still want to be famous do you? If being famous and turning out bad doesn't turn you off this might - You get famous enough you may be asked to make a movie with George! :eek: ;)

Post by Guest » 11-30-2004 10:31 PM

Dale I didn't ever say I want to be famous. I can't find any posts in the archives that you allude to - can you point to one specifically where one of the posters in question violates a specific rule and list what that rule is? I want to learn so that I don't accidently make a similar infraction by mistake or something. I personally think it would be very helpful to many of us newbies trying to learn whats right and wrong to post at this forum - I am totally confused.
Last edited by Guest on 11-30-2004 10:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-30-2004 11:41 PM

Boy! :eek:

You read fast! :D

Sorry, I just read that into your post as you mentioned their fame in your description of them. You're doing fine. If you are confused you may want to lurk awhile longer to get your sea-legs. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, I'm sure you will make the right choices.
That's all it is, you know, a choice - do I post something worthwhile, or do I post to hear my keys rattle and people gasp? Does what I'm saying fit board guidelines (see Mission Statement), belong in the forum I'm posting in or violate rules of posting in that forum? Just simple choices.

Only the most serious offenders and repetitious violators need worry about ever being planked. In all your reading of our archives you must have ran across a pirate called bupper1. That one used to flame the board all the time riling mostly the immature, hair-trigger posters into a fury. He's still here and is part of this diverse community of minds. He doesn't have much to say but he is now very respectful of forum rules.

I hope this un-muddies the waters here for you. We mods will go out of our way to help you understand but we see no good thing that will come of rehashing this issue. Besides, I respect those set adrift enough not to discuss their situation without them being able to defend it. That wouldn't be right or fair...or pretty. And that's not what the Fantastic Forum is about.

It's water under the bridge. It's old news. It's not going to happen.

Again, let's move on to fresher air and bluer seas....

Return to “The Brig”