Canadians on this forum

The Brig, for everything else. Pirates-at-large. Free booze.

Moderator: Super Moderators

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-07-2004 10:57 AM

Banditos!

How bout Jersey Tiff. I here it's nice there in the spring.

Bellisima
Pirate

Post by Bellisima » 11-07-2004 11:15 AM

And it's BLUE.
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-07-2004 02:58 PM

Devastated wrote: Come south!:D

Waaaaaaaaay south.:cool:
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Sean_in_Montreal
Pirate

Post by Sean_in_Montreal » 11-07-2004 03:19 PM

One drawback of living in Canada is getting used to living beside the 800lb Gorilla.
Our federal gov't has just reintroduced (2nd time?) a bill that will decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. 15 grams or less or three plants. And as usual the U.S. gov't has to put their two cents in with some veiled threat about how this will effect trade between our two countries. What do they think is going to happen that isn't already happening?
Anyway this really has nothing to do with the topic.
"I believe in keeping an open mind, but not so open that my brains spill out."(unknown)

gormworm
Pirate

Attempting to adapt ....

Post by gormworm » 11-07-2004 05:11 PM

Canada is the traditional "American home away from home" for college kids hoping to avoid the draft.

Hot biscuits and gravy has become a popular fast food here in Reno.
It's that thick, white "country gravy" with the ground up meat cooked in.

I understand that there's a "french" fried potatoes and brown gravy dish popular in Canada?
Have I got that right?

Some of my UNR college kid friends are attempting to prepare themselves for the changes.
Culture shock can be a hard thing to cope with.

Dobler’s advice is much appreciated.

We Americans are having a hard time adapting to a new religion with the hockey lock-out going on and everything.
It’s hard to find religious services / hockey matches on the radio at the moment.

spaceprophet
Pirate

Re: Canadians on this forum

Post by spaceprophet » 11-07-2004 05:56 PM

I'm prime draft age. But I completely see what the whole agenda is really. It's about making a quick buck and so what if I come back with no arms and no legs. Or dead.

What am I supposed to do? Lick a pic of Dubya. Or shoot a load on Laura?

So some fat middle aged bastard that skipped the draft during Vietnam can make a quick extra million on top of an already million?

This country is a country of hillbilly's. Sloths and sheep. It deserves everything it's got coming.

alphacentaura
Pirate

Re: Attempting to adapt ....

Post by alphacentaura » 11-07-2004 06:03 PM

gormworm wrote: Canada is the traditional "American home away from home" for college kids hoping to avoid the draft.

Hot biscuits and gravy has become a popular fast food here in Reno.
It's that thick, white "country gravy" with the ground up meat cooked in.

I understand that there's a "french" fried potatoes and brown gravy dish popular in Canada?
Have I got that right?

Some of my UNR college kid friends are attempting to prepare themselves for the changes.
Culture shock can be a hard thing to cope with.

Dobler’s advice is much appreciated.

We Americans are having a hard time adapting to a new religion with the hockey lock-out going on and everything.
It’s hard to find religious services / hockey matches on the radio at the moment.

Yup, no doubt...don't forget the whale blubber...a Canadian staple protein source, our master snow shoe experts...and of course we hold a record world wide, by heating our igloos without much melt.

Poutine's a city treat...you have to listen to a minimum of 3 Celine's tunes to get any...and that is, if the drive through folks like you and don't feel that your a real country Cannuck....our President legislated this treatment, to ensure we only serve poutine to 'real' Cannucks. Sometimes, they even test you on the type of beer you drink.....if Molson's isn't the answer, well no poutine for you....or any fast food...but Walmart will always welcome you with a smile....
oh well.....

Dobler
Pirate

Post by Dobler » 11-07-2004 07:33 PM

Devastated wrote: Is it true that Celine Dion took a crap on stage while she was "dancin'?"
That would imply that Celine Dion actually eats solid food. She might have squeaked out some Ex Lax.
gormworm wrote: I understand that there's a "french" fried potatoes and brown gravy dish popular in Canada?
Like Alpha said, that would be poutine. In addition to the gravy and freedom fries, it is topped with cheese. Not just any kind of cheese, but a special type of heavily processed cheese curd native to Quebec.

Celine Dion has never eaten poutine, but I believe her husband Rene subsists entirely on the stuff and has it flown in to Vegas on specially chartered WestJet flights.

Speaking of Vegas, the C in CSI stands for Canada. Jerry Bruckheimer gets a lot of the credit, but the show is produced by a Canadian company (Alliance Atlantis) and several of the directors and producers are Canadian.

A few other Canadian factoids:

- Come winter, we are very willing to trade flu shots for fruit, Once the Okanagan freezes over we become susceptible to scurvy.

- In addition to giving Celine Dion to the United States, we gave Bryan Adams to England. We are very generous with our musicians. We are currently trying to rid ourselves of the Barenaked Ladies, but no one seems to want them. Oh wait, it looks like Fox is taking the bait. I guess we're giving them to the United States after all.

- There are no homeless people in Canada. Well, there is one guy in Toronto, but he has a skybox he can sleep in when the Maple Leafs play. Unfortunately, he sold his house to pay for the skybox tickets.

gormworm
Pirate

Post by gormworm » 11-07-2004 09:27 PM

I undestand that Canada also gave us William Shatner.

At one point, America was attempting to give him back, .. but we seem to have changed our minds.
We gave him an Emmy this year.

Does that make you want to take him back yet?

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 11-07-2004 09:35 PM

How about that Tim Hortons? They give you a donut with your chili! And the McLobster!

Canada rocks. Love the movies and the rock bands.

Nova Scotia is beautiful. Went there on Canada day. Beautiful flag.

Bay of Fundy. And that one place, Kedji--Kecha--ma--whatever. So beautiful!

gormworm
Pirate

Post by gormworm » 11-07-2004 09:42 PM

LisaA wrote: How about that Tim Hortons? They give you a donut with your chili!

We have that in Rhode Island.
Dunkin Donuts gives you a donut with your chili.

Smoking with your meal is mandatory.

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 11-07-2004 09:45 PM

I didn't know they had Tim Hortons in the US! Never heard of it here in CO.

gormworm
Pirate

Post by gormworm » 11-07-2004 09:47 PM

LisaA wrote: I didn't know they had Tim Hortons in the US! Never heard of it here in CO.

I mis-spoke.

No Tim Hortons.
We have Dunkin Donuts.

It's a donut with your chili thing.

Faedrea
Pirate

Post by Faedrea » 11-07-2004 11:28 PM

For Space, Tiff and others:

Who Is Eligible For Selection?

Citizenship and Immigration Canada selects persons seeking resettlement in Canada based on three classes of refugees.

Convention Refugees Abroad Class

The Convention Refugee Abroad class includes people who are outside their country of citizenship or habitual residence. Refugees in this class have a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of:

race;
religion;
political opinion;
nationality; or
membership in a particular social group.
Individuals selected under this class are eligible for government assistance or may be privately sponsored

Country of Asylum Class

The Country of Asylum class includes people who are outside their country of citizenship or habitual residence. Refugees in this class are seriously and personally affected by:

civil war;
armed conflict; or
massive violations of human rights.
Individuals selected under this class must be privately sponsored or have adequate financial means to support themselves and their dependants.

Source Country Class

The Source Country class includes people who would meet the definition of a Convention Refugee but who are still in their country of citizenship or habitual residence. It also includes people who have been detained or imprisoned and are suffering serious deprivations of:

the right of freedom of expression;
the right of dissent; or
the right to engage in trade union activity.
Only citizens or habitual residents of the specific countries listed in Schedule 2 to the Regulations are eligible under this class.

Individuals selected under this class are eligible for government assistance or may be privately sponsored.

Canada-Quebec Accord

Under the Canada-Quebec Accord, Quebec has the responsibility for selecting refugees abroad who are destined for Quebec.

The federal government is responsible for ensuring that people selected by Quebec are eligible for refugee status. The federal government will also ensure that statutory admission requirements, such as medical, security and criminality checks, are met before issuing a visa.

more:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/refugees/resettle-2.html

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 11-07-2004 11:45 PM

Devastated wrote: Is it true that Celine Dion took a crap on stage while she was "dancin'?"
ROTFLMAO :D I'd pay a Clear Channel $50 dollar bill to see that. I'm just sick that way.

I once saw Ozzy pass a bucket around the front row of a concert while everybody spit in it. I don't know if he guzzled all of it but he wore most of it on his t-shirt during an encore of Iron Man.

Return to “The Brig”