ET/UFO Phenomenon - Apocalyptic Origins?

UFO sightings, alien abductions, orbs, John Lear disclosure, government cover-ups...

Moderator: Super Moderators

smadewell
Pirate

ET/UFO Phenomenon - Apocalyptic Origins?

Post by smadewell » 07-26-2005 02:16 PM

I've been reading The Apocalyptic Movement by Walter Schmthals and I can't help but notice the striking parallels to currents in our own pop-culture like the UFO/ET Phenomenon.

What effect did the Great Depression and World War II have on the American psyche? What effect did Pulp Fiction have on the American psyche? Did these currents and their effects upon the popular culture serve to generate a modern Apocalyptic Movement complete with its own cosmological and mythological literature, as a reflection of its metaphysical yearning and spiritual angst? Can we look to these currents and their effects upon the American psyche as being the progenitors of what we now call the UFO/ET Phenomenon?
S.Madewell - "If the truth shall kill a man ... let him die!"

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-26-2005 02:17 PM

Meaning.... We're all looking for it. It's human nature to look for a meaning to life and a purpose behind our existence. Frequently, we look to our own family and genealogy for meaning. Who are we? Where do we come from? How did we get here? Why did we come here? What's my place in this family? When will my purpose in the grand scheme of things be revealed?

We also look to history in general for a design from which we might glean an awareness of our ultimate purpose. When our quest for meaning is weakened by periods of intellectual and spiritual crisis the natural response is to seek a new infusion of strength, rather than just give up; hence, the historical phenomenon of the Apocalypse!

The word apocalypse simply means revelation. The question is…. Why turn to an apocalypse (revelation) for help? Walter Schmithals writes, "... the intellectual and spiritual crisis of our time, regardless of how ... it may have been set in motion, is rooted in the doubt whether there is any meaning in history at all. The apocalyptists, affected by the same crisis, give radical expression to this doubt, because they offer a way out of the crisis which in secularized form holds an absorbing interest for many people today."1

Putting this crisis into greater focus, Prager & Telushkin write, "If the physical world is the only reality, i.e., if there is no metaphysical source to life, then life is ultimately purposeless. Life is then nothing more than the chance result of innumerable coincidences, and human beings are nothing more than self-ware molecules. We differ from all other molecular combinations only in that we want to believe that our particular combination has some ultimate meaning and purpose. But this desire is mere delusion. We simply cannot bear to awaken each morning and look in the mirror at a molecular coincidence, so we make up a meaning to our lives."2

So, when one can't or won't turn to the established religious authority for this meaning ... where and to whom or to what can one turn? Simple! One must seek a new revelation and from this impulse is born a new Apocalypse, which in turn forms the basis for a new Apocalyptic literature, whose advocates will comprise a new Apocalyptic Movement, etc.

To be continued....

1 "The Apocalyptic Movement: Introduction & Interpretation" by Walter Schmithals, p. 11.

2 "The Nine Questions People Ask About Judaism" by Dennis Prager & Joseph Telushkin, pp. 25-26.

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-26-2005 02:21 PM

Just a little more background to the "new Apocalyptic literature" angle I'm working on:

http://www.unknowncountry.com/mindframe/opinion/

Here's a picture of Lam:

http://users.gloryroad.net/~bigjim/Grey_Crowley_lam.jpg

One wonders if Crowley was a fan of HG Wells or perhaps Edgar Rice Burroughs, who wrote "A Princess of Mars" (1912).

Is it possible that Crowley, an anti-establishmentarian and also a high ranking member of several secret societies, sought to create a modern mythos and superior beings that would lend weight to a new Apocalyptic literature and movement and that would ultimately serve to undermine the established religious authorities in Christendom and prepare future generations to receive a "manifestation" that would result in "the destruction of Christianity and Atheism, both conquered and exterminated at the same time"...?

Working under the assumptions made by various Evolutionists that the more man evolved the smaller his jaw became and the larger his skull grew to accommodate greater brain capacity ... might not Crowley have created Lam to represent a superior being around which he could build a modern mythos and a cult following?

In other words.... Could it be that the Greys of today have their origins in Crowley's Lam and - setting aside the conspiracy angle - might not his intent have been to create a new revelation that would seize the imagination and move the pop-culture to expand upon his mythos in order to provide the masses with an alternative to the bromide coming from the pulpit?

Where would this higher authority come from? Where else? Highly evolved interdimensional beings with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal man! Possible? Sure! Probable? You tell me.... Any comments?

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-26-2005 02:26 PM

QUESTION: What was the first "abduction" that fits the "norm" of today's abduction experiences? I'd really like to know!

I've read a few "news" articles about "UFOs" that pre-date 1926, the advent of Hugo Gernsback's Amazing Stories, but none that fit the "norm" of today's saucer like craft and/or ET Grey pilots.

I've seen newsreel-esque clips (on the History Channel) of the "nuts" coming out of the wood work after the Roswell Incident and throughout the 50's, wherein claims as to personal revelations and trips to Venus (et al) are being hawked at UFO gatherings (etc) by various "experiencers" turned authors.

I hate to be so skeptical, but ... I just don't see any evidence that pre-dates the late 1940's - never mind 1926. I wanna believe, but ... all I can see here is a phenomena of our pop-culture. Anyone have some pre-1926 reports that match the "norm" (or some variant) of today's saucer like craft and/or ET Grey pilots?

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-26-2005 02:40 PM

Smadewell, you raise a very interesting set of questions. I myself have always been very interested in the possible relations between UFO occupants and members of the Essene Order during the lifetime of Christ. As I am sure that you are very well aware, that period of history was one of the most apocalyptic periods in all of human history. When you read the Essene BOOKS OF ENOCH, it becomes hard NOT to believe that at least some of the Essene scriptures have their basis in alien encounters. But it is so hard to get more specific information on the topic. Nevertheless, there is so much smoke here that there has to be a spark or two of fire...
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-26-2005 11:32 PM

joequinn wrote: Smadewell, you raise a very interesting set of questions. I myself have always been very interested in the possible relations between UFO occupants and members of the Essene Order during the lifetime of Christ. As I am sure that you are very well aware, that period of history was one of the most apocalyptic periods in all of human history. When you read the Essene BOOKS OF ENOCH, it becomes hard NOT to believe that at least some of the Essene scriptures have their basis in alien encounters. But it is so hard to get more specific information on the topic. Nevertheless, there is so much smoke here that there has to be a spark or two of fire...
Or could it be that we are projecting our modern apocalyptic literature onto the Jewish Apocalyptic literature and reading ETs and UFOs where the Jews were simply appealing to Zoroastrian cosmology and dualism -- to which they added their vision of a Heavenly Court that was itself a projection and glorification of the Persian Court, which they got to witness and experience firsthand during the Exile?

Zoroastrianism itself has its origins in the personification of natural forces, which, beyond human control, bring blessings and cursings upon mankind. In this personification of natural forces we see man's early animistic beliefs, which carry with it a sense of man's powerlessness.

It was from this feeling of ineptitude in the face of overwhelming power that certain wise-ones arose, who, having keenly observed the forces of nature and recognizing the cycle of patterns in the visible universe, where able to anticipate natural phenomena and through various preemptive "magics" create the illusion that they could control or mitigate these forces and currents.

Where we see ETs/Aliens ... the Jews envisioned only hosts of angels. Where we see UFOs ... the Jews envisioned only heavenly chariots and thrones. Where we imagine an advanced Alien home world ... the Jews envisioned only a well-ordered and magical heavenly court.

That's not to say that the ETs, UFOs and Alien home worlds of our modern apocalyptic literature are in fact a reality anymore than Jewish Throne and Chariot mysticism is in fact a reality. The former is simply a modernization of the latter, IMO.

Are there other lifeforms in the multiverse? Sure! Might they have interstellar craft? Sure! Might they have an evolved and Utopian-esque homeworld? Sure! Are such lifeforms responsible for our origins and have they been interacting with us since the very beginning and are these the lifeforms written about in the Jewish Apocalyptic literature (et al), which people in our own time assume are merely ancient references to our modern ET/UFO phenomenon? I seriously doubt it. Why?

Because the origins of our modern apocalyptic ET/UFO literature and belief system and the Jewish Apocalyptic literature and belief system can be clearly discerned and should rightly be understood as a developmental phenomena of history and the religio-sociolgical forces that drive it.

Where others see a celestial and ET source for history ... I see only a terrestrial and human source at work. We are creatures seeking meaning and purpose in a universe that is at once our mother and also our destroyer. ;) Therefore, in times of intellectual and spiritual crisis, we seek and/or create a "revelation" to help us deal with and handle our present reality, while bringing us hope for the future, if not meaning and purpose to our existence.
Last edited by smadewell on 07-26-2005 11:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-27-2005 09:50 AM

I understand the importance of your question, smadewell, and I acknowledge that the entire scenario of human religious history can be framed in the way that you suggest. But as a result of almost forty years of not-superficial UFO research, I myself can see much more than "a terrestrial and human source at work." If there are UFOs in 2005 CE, then there is every reason to believe that there were UFOs in 2005 BCE, with the resultant consequences for human religious history.

As far as the Essenes are concerned, you are quite correct, smadewell, to stress the influence of Zoroastrian dualism and angelology in THE BOOKS OF ENOCH and in Essene apocalyptic literature generally. Yes, I will grant that, in this particular case, things may indeed be as you describe them. But I myself have never completely understood how Essene Christianity and Pauline Christianity spread so widely throughout the Roman world in the first century CE unless some truly astonishing events happened in the Palestine of that time to lend them credibility. Which is why, personally, I am not willing to completely close the door on UFO intervention in the founding of Christianity. Even though, as I acknowledged in my previous post, I personally do not have the evidence to make my case in this matter...

Regards and best wishes,

Joe Quinn

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-27-2005 11:44 AM

joequinn wrote: If there are UFOs in 2005 CE, then there is every reason to believe that there were UFOs in 2005 BCE, with the resultant consequences for human religious history.
If that's the case, then I'd like to know why they've been hanging around so long and specifically why does their agenda necessitate such a protracted involvement with mankind. If they're out to improve the human condition -- they haven't! If they're out to destroy us -- they haven't! If they're out to study us, then to end? Etc., etc., etc.?
joequinn wrote: I myself have never completely understood how Essene Christianity and Pauline Christianity spread so widely throughout the Roman world in the first century CE unless some truly astonishing events happened in the Palestine of that time to lend them credibility.
The same question could be asked of any revivalist and/or revisionist movement that was inspired by mysticism. Gentile Christianity was co-opted early on by proto-Gnostic beliefs and spread just as rapidly as Gnosticism did. What is so amazing and inexplicable about the spread of Christianity that ET/Alien involvement is required? Is it because Christianity replaced the idolatry of Rome and became the State Religion in a little over 300 years time? Mohammad purged his people of their idolatry and established a State Religion in less time. Is it the miracles recorded in the gospels that require ET/Alien involvement? Such miracles and miracle workers were nothing new to the Judaisms of the Common Era and at least one Pharisaic school actually revived the "school of the prophets" and taught their disciples, just like any pagan shaman or Perisan Court Magician would teach his disciples. Nothing Alien about this or the miracles themselves, IMO.
joequinn wrote: Which is why, personally, I am not willing to completely close the door on UFO intervention in the founding of Christianity. Even though, as I acknowledged in my previous post, I personally do not have the evidence to make my case in this matter... Regards and best wishes, Joe Quinn
Well, I'd be open to looking at any evidence that would demonstrate ET/Alien involvement, especially if it negates the possibility of a human explanation.
Last edited by smadewell on 07-27-2005 11:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-27-2005 11:53 AM

Good topic of debate that is timeless in its origins.

Yes, I love my mother and no I can't prove it
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-27-2005 12:41 PM

Smadewell, I repeat that I am quite sensitive to your position, and if it were not for evidence that I find compelling (and that you probably would not), I myself would be willing to accept that the most sensible position is to believe that we are alone in the universe. But I do not believe, nor have I believed for almost four decades, that such is the case. Well, sooner or later, one of us is going to be proven wrong on the matter. But, I would suggest, the jury is still out on the matter --- and the verdict may turn out to be a surprise in the end.... :D :D :D

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 07-27-2005 01:03 PM

What if we are the ones who have destroyed our past and
have created our future? I don't believe that's too alien of a view
to contemplate when discussing the spiritual nature of ones soul.

Once you toss in the RNAi into the DNA you have created a living
breathing species ... so if our offspring needed to collect some
stem cells after we destoryed ourselves in this never ending battle of life there wouldn't be any need for visitations.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 07-28-2005 02:41 PM

joequinn wrote: Smadewell, I repeat that I am quite sensitive to your position, and if it were not for evidence that I find compelling (and that you probably would not)....
Try me! :D If nothing else, you might find out how many people agree and/or disagree with you. Never hurts to try.... Heck! That's all I'm doing here. Just presenting a theory....
joequinn wrote: I myself would be willing to accept that the most sensible position is to believe that we are alone in the universe.
I never claimed we're alone! :eek: Doubtless the multiverse is teaming with intelligent life forms! Further, I'd love to believe that we have been and continue to be visited by ETs/Aliens. It's just that right now ... I lack any firsthand empirical evidence. I can only go with reported sightings and the attention given this phenomenon by our pop-culture. Just because I see a human hand at work in this at present ... doesn't mean I'm not open to another take on the whole thing.
joequinn wrote: I would suggest, the jury is still out on the matter --- and the verdict may turn out to be a surprise in the end.... :D :D :D
On that much we're in 100% agreement.

Personally, I'd love for these little buggers to land on the White House lawn -- whether they pull an "Invasion from Mars" or a "The Day The Earth Stood Still" or an "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or any other Sci Fi scenario! I flat don't care which scenario plays itself out.

If they're out there though ... I just want them to come forth and make their intentions known once and for all. I'm tired of all the mystery. If it's ETs/Aliens pulling this stuff, then ... why are they playing Peek-A-Boo with us? It doesn't make any sense to me! And in light of all this hide-and-seek ... I've gotta go with a more human angle ... even the Govt. Black Ops/Psi Ops angle ... until a reasonable explanation comes along.

smadewell
Pirate

magnum opus

Post by smadewell » 02-20-2006 03:15 AM

What we have here is the Golden Rule. Those who have the gold make the rules. Rule number one is ... there are no rules! The Powers-That-Be (PTBs) have a single agenda -- find, develop and implement the most effective and efficient means of controlling the masses.

What we have here are a group of very insecure men. Why insecure? Because they face a threat from Dang Lizard People (DLPs) and ETs...? I don't think we have to look that deep or that far. The threat they fear most comes from us - the Great Unwashed!

We out number the PTBs. They know that they need us far more than we need them. The only way they can presently keep us under foot is to create pockets of chaos. Shortly after our knee jerk response to said chaos, the Minions of the PTBs advance a "reasonable" solution to the problem, which typically means we the people must surrender a degree of freedom and liberty in exchange for increased security, a restoration of order and a measure of peace.

Content with that or not ... we go back to surfing for porn and/or watching the idiot box. Why? Because the PTBs tell us that we're powerless and ... besides ... who cares? The world's going to Hell in a hand basket anyway! We might as well eat, drink and be merry ... for tomorrow we die, right?

So, where do the ETs and UFOs and underground bases fit into the picture? Simple! Prior to the turn of the 20th century a long term plan was laid out for the complete subjugation of the masses by the PTBs.

Let us keep in mind that the Old West mentality was still very much alive during those days. Rugged individualism and self-reliance were the hallmarks of our forefathers. No herd animals were they! No sir! Our great-grandparents weren't the weak willed, pansy ass'd practitioners of the "Cargo Cult" we've become! That pampered breed of hot house roses had to be created through some very complex social engineering! Nevertheless, here we are!

So, the PTBs set forth an ever evolving Master Plan, which has sought to accomplish the following:

1. Create a new apocalyptic literature that would replace or at least supplant the old apocalyptic literature, but still offer "salvation from on high"; howbeit, in such a way as to turn people from their allegiance to whatever faith/belief that had hitherto sustained them and served as a moral compass for and a support group around which people could rally.

2. Design and develop ever advancing technologies that would be kept under lock and key; only to be released into the public arena (largely for money making purposes) when something new and improved came along to replace it -- thus keeping the masses about 30 to 50 years behind the PTBs and their Minions in the Shadow Guvmint.

3. Create the necessary elements to manifest a "salvation from on high" in order to validate the new apocalyptic literature. To that end the PTBs and their Tech Minions....

a. built facilities (both underground and above) where they could do their work in complete secrecy and retreat to, if needs be.
b. design and create advanced UFO type aircraft.
c. requisition "volunteers" to be surgically altered and Psy Op them into believing that they are in fact ETs.
d. create designer babies that would appear to be ET-Human hybrids and educate them to believe in their ET origins.
e. Psy Op expendable (and otherwise used up) employees and release them into the general populace as unwitting disinformation agents -- and "off" them when it's expedient and/or necessary to lubricate the disinformation mill.
f. conduct various Tech Ops and Psy Ops that would create an atmosphere of distrust, suspicious, dissension and even ... hope for a better tomorrow.

4. If "operant conditioning" wasn't enough to usher the masses into a Brave New World run by a group of Orwellian Controllers, then ... the PTBs need only create enough chaos to break down the will of the people and then play their "Ace in the Hole" -- salvation from on high and a new world order to lead us into a Golden Age served up "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Earth: The Final Conflict" style.

I honestly don't think the PTBs will have to play their "Ace in the Hole." We seem to be more than willing to give up our liberty and freedom as is! If that be the case, then ... what'll become of these secret installations, aircraft and genetically engineered "ETs"...? Who knows? It's always nice to have an "Ace in the Hole". That branch of the Shadow Guvmint might continue operating for a very long time to come.

Who knows? Certainly not me! I'm just a dumb old security guard. Now, if you'll excuse me, J-Rod wants another strawberry shake. (Que "Deuling Banjos")

RamzGT
Pirate

Post by RamzGT » 05-02-2007 09:57 AM

Maybe this should be in the religious debate board, but what the heck...

The way I see it, people can believe whatever they want. The world is a completely biased, subjective experience with meaning only to what one gives it personally.

How do I know this? It's all about doubting existence and working from there. The best we know in this life is to try our best to understand the limited, subjective experiences in our past which have been warped by our inherently flawed memory.

It seems like a very negative philosophy, but to me its as positive as ever b/c its getting down to the brass tacks of understanding human consciousness and its limitations.

I almost forgot to respond about the idea b/t creation and chance. The argument for chance creation of reality is this: to me, its no surprise that we have been created, and even if we are created through chance and not through divine inspiration, it is still understandable that we exist, for there is no way to tell non-existence. Its no surprise to me that I can look at the world and recognize its (relative) existence, for I exist inside of it. If I did not exist inside of it, there would be no way to experience this universe-system. In short, its no accident that we can experience accident, for we are inside the boundaries of the accident.

I hope all of this makes sense...

Cheers :D
Last edited by RamzGT on 05-02-2007 10:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.
An Attempt At An
_O p e n M i n d
Andrew Ramsey

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 05-03-2007 06:51 PM

I don't mind beliefs, so long as they remain as merely beliefs. However, a wicked and evil line is crossed when a mere belief is taken and mystically transformed into some new kind of truth and then presented as the truth, when it hasn't actually been established yet to be true and thus not just a mere belief. Religion, for example, does just that. They take a mere belief and proclaim it true and say so.. ...but that is really lying.... and playing make-believe.. . . which is actually the worship of false idols, since they "actually" don't know it to be true, but they don't realize this because they ARE being lied to whenever a belief is presented as a truth by a liar liar.

Return to “UFO”