Bigfoot Don't Get No Respect

Discussion of unexplained phenomena, Crop Circles, OBEs, NDEs, ESP, remote viewing, ghosts, unusual coincidence, pre-cognition, group consciousness...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Swerdloc
Pirate

Bigfoot Don't Get No Respect

Post by Swerdloc » 11-03-2006 09:44 PM

POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) -- Jeffrey Meldrum holds a Ph.D. in anatomical sciences and is a tenured professor of anatomy at Idaho State University.

He is also one of the world's foremost authorities on Bigfoot, the mythical ape-man of the Northwest woods. And Meldrum firmly believes the lumbering, shaggy brute exists.

That makes him an outcast -- a solitary, Sasquatch-like figure himself -- on the 12,700-student campus, where many scientists are embarrassed by what they call Meldrum's "pseudo-academic" pursuits and have called on the university to review his work with an eye toward revoking his tenure. One physics professor, D.P. Wells, wonders whether Meldrum plans to research Santa Claus, too.

AP article
Anchors Aweigh

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-03-2006 10:01 PM

Good find, Swerdloc. Excellent article. Wonder why the woodlands wildman is so difficult to document. I would guess there are many, many creatures in the woods we do not commonly see.

What's a chupacabra? A wild hell creature that lives more in the southwest?

Related?
hmmmmm.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 11-03-2006 10:27 PM

This is far from the norm. Look at what befell John Mack... He was tenured, as well. And the minute he began believing people were being abducted, and chose to write a paper on it, he was immediately under fire.

Any time someone deviates from what "everyone else" perceives to be normal, he/she is branded a black sheep or an outcast. (For instance, COPERNICUS!)

I've never seen a Sasquatch... here. I don't know if they are native to Earth, or if Earth has been used as a pasture land/breeding ground for them. But I did see one when I was on a ship, and that was 40 years ago. So the minute I saw Leonard Nimoy talking about them on Unsolved Mysteries, I knew they were REAL.

Patric
Pirate

Post by Patric » 11-07-2006 04:42 PM

Call me crazy but here is a theory.
Witnesses seem to see Bigfoot in various parts of the world and it seemingly disappears before a positive ID is made (or is captured).
Could Bigfoot be nothing more than a ghost? If humans are allowed to materialize as ghosts, why not pre-humans? (Would consciousness allow it?) Maybe every Bigfoot sighting is a revisitation by a hominid from the past. Would these hominids have enough consciousness to want to come back?

And are 'ghosts' able to leave tracks?

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Reposted from another forum on this subject...

Post by joequinn » 11-08-2006 07:58 AM

It’s stories like this one that reveal the Ivory Tower in its true light. Institutional education does not exist in order to teach: if you want to learn something, then you have to learn it for yourself. All that institutional education does is to certify that you have learned what you have learned. But more than that, institutional education certifies only certain kinds of knowledge and then only for certain kinds of purposes. In short, institutional education serves as the socially-designated gatekeeper for a bourgeois mainstream/professional class lifestyle, nothing more. And now that the Bush fascist junta is disintegrating the entire 80-year-old structure of the American middle class, institutional education increasingly has nothing to offer for the repressive restrictions and the exorbitant fees that it levies on its students. And the result is “the crisis of higher education.”

The founders of the scientific world-view in the 17th century were outcasts from the Ivory Tower of their day, obsessed as it was with the study of Aristotle and the learning of Latin. Dr. Meldrum is a worthy heir to these pioneers, and the difficulties that he presently faces --- difficulties that they faced four hundred years ago --- demonstrate that the Ivory Tower is just as repressive and reactionary a social force now as it was then. [The name of the forum where I posted this message], and other Internet forums of its type, do more for the 21st century advancement of learning than the entire Ivy League does!

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 11-08-2006 08:04 AM

Welcome back joequinn.

:)
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Dixie Butcher
Pirate

Re: Bigfoot Don't Get No Respect

Post by Dixie Butcher » 12-22-2006 10:09 PM

Swerdloc wrote: One physics professor, D.P. Wells, wonders whether Meldrum plans to research Santa Claus, too.

What a dick.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 12-23-2006 03:45 PM

Aha?, don't quite get that Dix. But then again you have been crystal clear in the above statements against George Noory. So, this abbreviated one slowed me down a bit.

Clatu:)

teresius
Pirate

Post by teresius » 01-04-2007 11:37 PM

yeah, clat, that's a stumper.
i find that people that assume that bigfoot doesn't exist are just following the paradigms that make modern life more, shall we say, digestable to the average human. it parses the univers artificially into small consumable bits that people feel that they can handle. does that mean that it's true? of course not. i've heard several biologist from this area dispute the fact that we could have black panthers or mountain lions in this area. well, some of my family, years ago, started a small community called "pantertown" (pronounced like 'painter-town'). 'panter' is the colloquialism for 'panther' and that IS why the town was named that. i have personally seen one black panther at my 'nanny's' house (yes, that's what we call her) and heard quite a few more. we all know that they're there, and that the scientists are full of crap. that's pretty much how it goes with ANY science. some people just KNOW. science says that they have to see it to believe it. i, personally, have never seen a baby pigeon, but i'm pretty sure that they exist.
joe, that was a very eloquent statement on the perils and pitfalls of modern academia. when you expand upon a previous idea, you have to make many of the same assumptions. paradigms are risky.
email me directly at: teresius "at" comcast.net (all one word, of course)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-15-2012 05:13 PM

Return to “Paranormal”