The Mothman Prophecies - Did You Like It?

Discussion of unexplained phenomena, Crop Circles, OBEs, NDEs, ESP, remote viewing, ghosts, unusual coincidence, pre-cognition, group consciousness...

Moderator: Super Moderators

joequinn
Magister Ludi

The Mothman Prophecies - Did You Like It?

Post by joequinn » 02-24-2002 12:19 PM

I went to see THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES yesterday at the local "el cheapo" theater ($2 a ticket for the matinee). I liked it better than I thought that I would. Did any of you see the film? If so, what did you think of it? And do you think that it did a good job covering the incredible events that happened in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, between November of 1966 and December of 1967?

Regards to all!

Joe Quinn
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 02-24-2002 04:48 PM

The cheapo theater in my town is closed. Image Have to rent it. Isn't it funny when movies get bad press and you watch them anyway and enjoy them a lot?

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-24-2002 05:52 PM

Hey joequinn...
Sorry, i haven't seen it, and probably won't because i don't like scary movies.. But.. seeing you again is the premiere of the day!
YOUR EMAIL BOUCES PLEASE FIX IT or DO NOT subscribe to email notices.

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-24-2002 05:52 PM

Hey joequinn...
Sorry, i haven't seen it, and probably won't because i don't like scary movies.. But.. seeing you again is the premiere of the day!

Opps, double post... Mothman?
Yep, a double feature. Image

[This message has been edited by jeri sexton (edited 24 February 2002).]

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 02-24-2002 11:14 PM

Please don't misunderstand me, folks. THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES is NOT the best film of 2002. Mark Pellington is a competent director of moderate ability who has had the good fortune to find a cinematic genre in which he can work well, and Richard Gere (who looks truly old in this film) now is coping with his second loss of popularity in his career. But I also think that Pellington saw Chris Carter of THE X-FILES and that Gere saw David Duchovny of THE X-FILES, and both said: "Hey, I think that I can do better than that!" And I personally think that they did! But then I never regarded THE X-FILES as television's finest moment...

What intrigues me about the film is the way in which it manipulated and distorted the historical facts... The film is set at the current time, when, historically, the extraordinary events behind it occurred between November of 1966 and December of 1967. The journalist, John A. Keel, was a muckraker, while Richard Gere plays an establishment journalist from (can you believe this?) THE WASHINGTON POST. The film focuses exclusively on the appearances of the Mothman, when the Point Pleasant area was subjected, simultaneously, to UFO lights, to mass psi events, to men-in-black, and even to cattle mutilations. And the film does not cover --- one little bit! --- the U.S. Government's increasing interest in the phenomenon, especially around 15 December 1967, when the Silver Bridge crashed into the Ohio River, when 46 people (not 36 people, as the film states) died and when the phenomenon abruptly ceased...

My fear is that people who watch this movie --- like people who have watched THE X-FILES for the past nine years --- think that they know what's going on merely from what they see. Not even a documentary can tell everything, but a film (which is a work of art rather than a work of historical science) does not even try to tell anything other than an interesting story. For all of its virtues (above and beyond its limitations and defects), this film does not tell more than a small part of what actually happened. And that bothers me...

Jeri, I am ashamed of myself. I would have thought that, at my age, I would be totally immune to compliments. I am not. Thank you so much for your nice remark!

Regards to all!

Joe Quinn

[This message has been edited by joequinn (edited 24 February 2002).]
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-25-2002 12:13 AM

Hello joequinn,
Your critic of the movie satisfys my curiosity... Sounds like it was a little black, heh..
But then, can you tell me more... cuz i'm not going to get the book, or see the movie byme'self..

Actually, I guess you just wetted my appetite for more... Dag'it. Image

Return to “Paranormal”